Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, February 14th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Bacon King

mmandley is on a distinguished road
Help Installed Programmer 1800 miles in 3 days

Hi everyone.

I just got my diesel programmer installed.

Thanks Bill and PHP team for 2 day shipping to get it to me before i left on my trip.

I noticed a few things maybe you can help me out here.

1 - No trans temp? I have a trans temp gauge on the dash but the programmer says N/A? Why is this?

Rest is about the canned tunes. Im trying to figure out if i really need Custom tunes or if the canned tunes will do what i need.

Trans Mode = Seemed pretty stock and i didn't notice a difference in my trans performance. What is this tune actually used for?

Economy tune = used this on my trip the most. Every time, and i mean every time i started my truck i get a Check Engine Light. p0299 T/S Underboost.

I assume this is due to my turbo not boosting at idle.

Im worried this tune isnt running the turbo enough and i will get carbon build up and turbo issues down the road. Is there a concern with that? Is there a way to make the CEL not come on every time i start my truck? I like this tune on the highway but in town its really dogged feeling.

Tow tune = I didnt use this as i wasnt towing, i assume its a power tune to allow more HP and Torque at lower RPMs for pulling.

Extream = didn't use this one as im running stock Head bolts. Is it safe to run this tune? Im afraid to damage the engine. I don't plan on driving like a NASCAR but if i punch the go pedal i don't want to break something eighter.

Please help in these concerns if you can. I already paid PHP for 4 custom tunes but Bill said if i liked the canned tunes then he will credit the money but knowing me ill just add it to get the FICM re tuned as well. Please Help.

Thanks

08 F350 Crew Cab Lariat Edition 4x4 6.4L Twin Turbo Diesel
Old Mon, February 14th, 2011, 07:44 PM
electro-mechanical geek

eabrust is on a distinguished road

Regarding your trans temp issue. I had the same issue briefly.

After having my Gryphon for a while and not being able to leave well enough alone, I had updated the firmware in Pegasus to the latest available at the time (3.10.1015). After the update, the only thing I noticed different was that trans temp read 'NA'. I then installed the next oldest firmware (2.50.0924) that was available in Pegasus (the only other one available), and trans temp worked again.

I went back and forth on firmware, and it repeated. I had mentioned it to Bill in an email, and he couldn't think of any reason for it to happen, but also mentioned no one else had reported the issue. So, I left it at the second oldest, and transtemp works for me fine, that was a long while ago, and I've not played with it since.

So, it could be same or a different issue. You could check what firmware you have on the Gryphon, but I'd wait and see if Bill has a comment, unless you're comfortable with updating your Gryphon yourself, give it a try.

good luck
Eric
EGR deleted
Bypass coolant and oil filters
4" Turboback
Old Tue, February 15th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Bacon King

mmandley is on a distinguished road

Thanks Eric.

Im a bit alarmed i have a Help thread and no one has really answered it.

I did get an email from Bill last night.

We talked about the issues and he is looking into it. He said my ECM and TCM codes are a common code and is looking into them for me. He seemed a bit concerned as to why i get a CEL every start as well on the Economy tune.

As for the Trans Temp i will check and reload the older version see if it helps at all.

I am not to worried about my Trans temp till this April or May when i start realy towing my boat again. I just want to make sure it stays under 200 all the time and if i recall normal is 165ish.

08 F350 Crew Cab Lariat Edition 4x4 6.4L Twin Turbo Diesel