Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, February 11th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Hidden Valley

F150 Man 4Eva is on a distinguished road
Question Tranny slip.?.?

Well on my ride home from work today I decided to show OSS and TSS on my parameters. I was surprised to see how far off from eachother they were. But given, I know nothing about these values or what they stand for or what they mean...nothing. I am looking for some insight on how much slippage is normal. It seemed that at low cruising speed (30) in 3rd gear..they pretty much matched up. When accellerating...way off. While cruising at 60 or so they were like 600-700 off. Can anyone help me understand this?
Old Thu, February 11th, 2010, 11:17 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 Man 4Eva View Post
Well on my ride home from work today I decided to show OSS and TSS on my parameters. I was surprised to see how far off from eachother they were. But given, I know nothing about these values or what they stand for or what they mean...nothing. I am looking for some insight on how much slippage is normal. It seemed that at low cruising speed (30) in 3rd gear..they pretty much matched up. When accellerating...way off. While cruising at 60 or so they were like 600-700 off. Can anyone help me understand this?
Yep. It's easy.

In first gear the turbine shaft speed will be about 2.88 times the output shaft speed.

In second gear, the TSS will be about 1.55 times OSS.

In third gear, they will be the same.

In fourth, the TSS will be LESS than the OSS because of the .71:1 overdrive.

When the torque converter clutch is applied, the engine RPM should always just about match the TSS.

The sensor inputs to the PCM have to do with the gear ratios in the transmission and the computer's way of self-diagnosis to determine whether or not there is slippage and whether or not the commanded shift actually took place.
Old Fri, February 12th, 2010, 11:11 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I have a "hangup" with the description of this too, F150 Man 4Eva, so you're not alone.

What Cody was telling you is absolutely correct. The TSS will equal the OSS in 3rd gear only provided the TC is locked up. In any other configuration, they will always be different. I find the difference being labeled "slippage" as totally misleading - which can lead to unnecessary worry.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, February 12th, 2010, 11:55 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

For a visual person such as myself...

Engine --> [Converter] --> Input Shaft --> [Tranmission] --> Output Shaft

or more specifically...

Engine --> Input Shaft --> Output Shaft

Engine --> Input Shaft:
  • Same if Converter is locked
  • Different if Converter is unlocked (difference varies depending on load)
Input Shaft --> Output Shaft (Based on 4R75 Transmission)
  • 1st gear - Input is 2.8387 x Output (2.8387:1)
  • 2nd gear - Input is 1.5545 x Output (1.5545:1)
  • 3rd gear - Input is the same as Output (1.0000:1)
  • 4th gear - Input is 0.6984 x Output (0.9084:1)
Slip in the transmission can be easily calculated by finding the input:output ratio and see if it matches the current ratio for the selected gear. If it doesn't match, then slip is present.

Slip in the converter is only determined during lockup.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, February 13th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Hidden Valley

F150 Man 4Eva is on a distinguished road

Wow..ok, so it is more complicated than just looking and comparing the two numbers while driving down the road. I won't worry about it then. Tranny feels fine, its just when I read about the slippage and oss=tss...I was confused and wondering what was going on with my truck. Thanks for the explaination..I will remove those values from my parameters now and just not be concerned with it any more.