Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Thu, May 19th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Whopper Junior

kawasaki150hp is on a distinguished road
Default Unexpected Cost...

Ok so I just purchased both a K&N CAI and an Edge CS. I did a lot of research on this before buying it and never saw anything about the combination causing the truck to run to lean untill I read the owners manual for the Edge. Thank goodness I did that. Then the user guide directed me to this web site where now I found a bunch of info on it after I already spent the money. Now I know that depending on what I get the price will vary, but what type of price range am I going to be looking at for this now? I went with the edge CS because after looking at all the programmers out there I liked the canned tunes from edge the best. Now I cant use them, not real happy about that right now either. I should had just gone with this company to start with. PHP should thank Edge for actually refering us to them in the user guide. Sorry I just realized I'm on a soap box so I'll stop, but if someone could give me a price range or what they payed and what they have, I would be thankfull. Thanks
Old Thu, May 19th, 2011, 05:03 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki150hp View Post
Ok so I just purchased both a K&N CAI and an Edge CS. I did a lot of research on this before buying it and never saw anything about the combination causing the truck to run to lean untill I read the owners manual for the Edge. Thank goodness I did that. Then the user guide directed me to this web site where now I found a bunch of info on it after I already spent the money. Now I know that depending on what I get the price will vary, but what type of price range am I going to be looking at for this now? I went with the edge CS because after looking at all the programmers out there I liked the canned tunes from edge the best. Now I cant use them, not real happy about that right now either. I should had just gone with this company to start with. PHP should thank Edge for actually refering us to them in the user guide. Sorry I just realized I'm on a soap box so I'll stop, but if someone could give me a price range or what they payed and what they have, I would be thankfull. Thanks
I believe the tunes for the CS are $60 each if you did not by the programmer from them. Check their webpage to make sure.

You MAY not have much of a problem with the K&N and tunes. What year is your truck and what engine is in it? The 2004-2005 models with the 5.4L engine are the ones that are most likely to run lean with the CAI. If you don't have a 5.4L, you won't have a lean condition and if you have an 06 or later truck, you're better off too. There's talk on lots of forums about the "lean problem" though, you just didn't find it.

If you can't return the intake to stock, or do the Gotts Mod, use the Level 2 tune. It runs a bit richer and should help.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, May 20th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Whopper Junior

I'm sorry, I should had given that information. I have a 2006 with the 5.4L. Right now I'm running it in just power level 1 which is transmission only. I just dont want to hurt the motor, it's brand new. As in $10,200 on a new motor from ford that has about 200 miles on it. So your saying that the 2006 motors are ok? What changed? Thanks for helping btw.

And another thing. For $60 I'm intrested in having them do a few custom tunes for me. If I purchase custom tunes and upload them via email, will I be able to keep my original tunes that came with the CS and the custom tunes will just be added, or will I loose the original tunes. Thanks again.

Disregard the being able to keep my stock tunes I was able to find it in the search.

Last edited by kawasaki150hp; Fri, May 20th, 2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old Sun, May 22nd, 2011, 04:53 PM
Whopper Junior

Ok, so I'm going to post this so that anyone else with this question will have a real world answer and not a lot of maybes. So I took the gamble and went ahead and installed the K&N CAI with the Edge. It works just fine with NO issues what so ever. With that being said, I did a bunch of reading and calling to shops and even the dealer. Here is what I found out. To make a really long story short. Just like Jack stated, as long as you run the Edge in Transmission Only or Towing, you will be just fine. You "MIGHT" run into an issue if you use the Performance setting with 93+ octane. But I dont know about you but I've outgrown trying to street race when I was in my 20's and dont really want to pay for 93+ octane right now anyways. With the CAI and the level 2 Towing setting this truck will run pretty good anyways and you'll be happy. Just thought I would let you know.Now I still do and will myself get a custom tune from here for a performance 87 octance with the K&N CAI, but I want to keep my canned Edge tunes as well. Good luck.