Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Orion Reflash System for Navistar

Orion Reflash System for Navistar Power Hungry Performance is the first in the industry to provide custom tuning
for the 1998 to 2007 Navistar Medium Duty platform!

If you have any questions or would like more information on Orion, please post here.

Old Wed, February 2nd, 2022, 12:25 PM
Whopper Junior

ybyrental is on a distinguished road
Default First Post---1998 4700LPX and a couple questions

Sorry....not too big of a computer guy. I'm pretty vanilla overall.

Our little work truck:
1998 4700LPX
7.3 175HP
Allison AT543

We're a small equipment rental company, and the majority of our deliveries are within 25-30 miles....although we do make longer runs for some or our regular customers. I've had this truck for around 8 years, and have kept it stock. Definitely pretty slow; definitely highly reliable and durable. We constantly pull anywhere from 15k-40k with it....and it never complains. I could never find any simple modification for this truck--years ago, there was a chip that I believe fools the ICP into delivering more fuel with claims of up to a 40HP increase, but I never felt a bit of difference.

I came across the Orion Flash System more or less by accident when I was looking for something else online, but after a little investigation, I figured it was worth the gamble to try to just get a little bit more towing power. I only recently installed it, and have only used it on the 4th level(I believe 230HP), and all I can say is WOW....it's worth every penny. I really don't want to compromise its reliability, because it has been a dynamite truck, so I don't know if I'll do much more. This alone has been what I've been looking for over the last I-don't-know-how-many years.

I do have one question, as I'm not a big computer or tuner guy---Will the parameters allow me to change the factory governed RPM? I believe it is set at either 2700 or 2800RPM, and I was looking to go may 75-100 more....so I can travel at 65MPH while hauling? Or is this a no-no.

Thanks, Kevin4700lpx1.jpg
Old Thu, February 3rd, 2022, 07:18 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

In order to change the Rev Limiter, you need to connect to the vehicle and open the Orion software. (Please see attached image for reference)
  1. From the Orion Dialog, select [Parameters] -> [View/Edit Parameters]
  2. From the Parameters Dialog, select [Parameters] -> [Read Parameters]
  3. In [Parameter Blocks], scroll down and select Block [82 - Engine Family and Transmsission]
  4. In [Parameter Levels], select Parameter [003 - High Idle Engine Speed]
  5. Enter the desired RPM in the [Modified Parameter Value] box
  6. Select [Parameters] -> [Write Parameters] to change the value in the ECM
  7. Close the Parameters Dialog
  8. Follow Key Cycle procedures as requested by the software
The new Rev Limiter should now be set and you can disconnect.

If you have any questions, please let us know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rev Limit Parameter.jpg (199.9 KB, 10 views)

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, February 3rd, 2022, 10:15 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

And, Bill - just to set Kevin's mind at ease, increasing the rev limit by his proposed 100 RPMs is safe, correct? I'm sure it is, or you would not have told him how to do it.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, February 3rd, 2022, 11:06 AM
Whopper Junior

Thanks, guys. Just trying to keep it in a pretty safe mode.

I did have a boost gauge prior to the Orion, because we were curious if we were losing any power over time. When it has always been underpowered, it's easy to think that you are even losing more. From what little information I did gather, the general consensus was about 17psi under max load in stock configuration? I was getting around 16.5psi, so I figured that we were still getting full output.

Now---foolish me....I put a 20PSI boost gauge in the truck, not knowing that your reflash kit existed. Like I mentioned, I'm running at power level 4, and it obviously goes beyond the 20PSI max reading. If I was guessing, maybe it maxes around 22-23PSI at this level? A higher boost gauge is on its way. I also put in a pyrometer, and so far, my max temp on my heaviest pull has been around 1050 degrees.

I figure I'll stay at this power level until I'm confident my most heavy hauling doesn't send those temperatures much higher. But if you were to guess, how much higher EGTs could I expect going up one more power level? How much higher boost pressure?
Old Thu, February 3rd, 2022, 12:32 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpine View Post
And, Bill - just to set Kevin's mind at ease, increasing the rev limit by his proposed 100 RPMs is safe, correct? I'm sure it is, or you would not have told him how to do it.

- Jack
Yes, 100 RPM on that engine won't hurt anything. It's basically a 7.3L like the Ford Power Stroke, and they run up to 3800 RPM. The Navistars are limited to 2700 RPM. Even bumping to 3000 (+300) RPM is perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybyrental View Post
Thanks, guys. Just trying to keep it in a pretty safe mode.

I did have a boost gauge prior to the Orion, because we were curious if we were losing any power over time. When it has always been underpowered, it's easy to think that you are even losing more. From what little information I did gather, the general consensus was about 17psi under max load in stock configuration? I was getting around 16.5psi, so I figured that we were still getting full output.

Now---foolish me....I put a 20PSI boost gauge in the truck, not knowing that your reflash kit existed. Like I mentioned, I'm running at power level 4, and it obviously goes beyond the 20PSI max reading. If I was guessing, maybe it maxes around 22-23PSI at this level? A higher boost gauge is on its way. I also put in a pyrometer, and so far, my max temp on my heaviest pull has been around 1050 degrees.

I figure I'll stay at this power level until I'm confident my most heavy hauling doesn't send those temperatures much higher. But if you were to guess, how much higher EGTs could I expect going up one more power level? How much higher boost pressure?
With the moderate tuning, you should see 22-25 PSI. That's perfectly normal. Also, 1050 on the Pyro is great. Anything under 1150-1200 sustained under load is fine.

Hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Thu, February 3rd, 2022, 01:48 PM
Whopper Junior

I appreciate it.

Once you get the taste of something, you always want a little more....
Old Thu, February 24th, 2022, 04:37 PM
Whopper Junior

Saratoga Express is on a distinguished road

As far as turning the governed speed up, Bill has told me that some of the tractor pulling dudes are turning 4000+ rpms. But in the real world, even Ford had the 7.3 governed at 3200 rpms and you never hear of them destroying themselves. A couple hundred won't hurt it. But it might void your warranty with Navistar!

"Just a small time trucker in a big time world"

2001 Intl 4700 LPX
T444E
Easy Shift Overdrive 6+1
3.73's
Old Fri, February 25th, 2022, 08:14 AM

We regularly like to set the Rev Limit to 3200 RPM on the T444e and 3000 on the DT466/DT530. The 7.3L in the Ford is 3600 RPM from the factory and we've pushed it to 4000 RPM (or even higher) for performance applications. The 444/7.3L is a solid, proven engine as evidenced by the fact that they haven't been produced in 20 years and are still banging away out on the road.

I hope this is helpful.

(678) 890-1110

Old Sat, February 26th, 2022, 07:07 PM
Whopper Junior

This little guy has been dynamite for us. I won't speak about the legalities of our hauling(may be a little overloaded ), but we are constantly hauling 20-30k with this guy. That's why I was hoping for a little more uumph than stock, but not putting reliability out the window. I'm running on the 230hp level, and it's been great. Very, very happy with the Orion system.