Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Mon, September 28th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Love Games?

theSLEEPER is on a distinguished road
Default Too Much Fuel, Too Soon? And Other ???

Just wondering.

Without CP testing equiptment, how would you know when it was too much fuel?

Let's say, Stg. 2's, with known good injectors and nozzles, and something like a 38R.

Wouldn't the sound be enough to tell you something is wrong? I know that I can hear the difference in SOI or "timing" when switching tunes.

Would severely advanced "timing" create a better running motor? Or would it just cause excessive heat?

What about excessive ICP along with excessive "timing"?

Does increased ICP create advanced timing? All else equal.

What about IDM mods?

I'm sorry, the title may not be fitting for my questions, but I'm trying to gather all I can as soon as I can.

Could you create a more quiet and less smokey running motor by delaying SOI and calling for less fuel? Would that cause excessive lag?

I guess this is all more "theory" and not pertaining to Minotaur, so if it needs to be moved...

Thank ya'll in advance!!!
Jeret
Old Tue, September 29th, 2009, 01:07 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

You are in the right place for the questions you asked... all great questions by the way. do read through all the other threads in the minotaur forum as some of this has been addressed... Im going to bed now but I am sure Cody will jump in with some answers..
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Tue, September 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSLEEPER View Post
Just wondering.

Without CP testing equiptment, how would you know when it was too much fuel? By ear. Seriously. The way the truck sounds and feels is a very good indication of what is going on. Is it perfect? Hardly. The problem with actual combustion pressure (CP) equipment is that it is a pain to install....especially on a 7.3L. Besides, without knowing what to look for (not to mention what else to hook up), most folks out there would have a worthless piece of expensive equipment sitting on the shelf. The amount of fuel isn't nearly as detrimental as WHEN the fuel gets there.

Let's say, Stg. 2's, with known good injectors and nozzles, and something like a 38R. It seems to me that "Stage 2" injectors are usually a recipe for broken engines. Why? My guess is that a lot of folks view them as glorified stockers when they are hardly that at all. "St. 2" injectors are capable of moving a lot of fuel due to the nozzle size but lack the injection volume (CC) to do much good for a long injection event. They empty quickly.

Wouldn't the sound be enough to tell you something is wrong? I know that I can hear the difference in SOI or "timing" when switching tunes. Sometimes. Without placing myself in a hairy situation, I have seen differences in various peoples' tuning. Is there a difference, you bet...and usually it's quite different between different tuners. Going by sound alone can be revealing.

Would severely advanced "timing" create a better running motor? Or would it just cause excessive heat? Believe it or not, diesels are similar to gassers in this respect. A lot of SOI advance is a good thing....to a point. Once the piston starts it's huge push before the crankshaft throw has passed TDC, it becomes bad. Same as a gasser. However, the hotter combustion temperatures aren't Mother Nature's best friend (according to the EPA nazi brigade).

What about excessive ICP along with excessive "timing"?

Does increased ICP create advanced timing? All else equal.I'll attempt these two at once. It gets hairy here since increased ICP DOES create a pseudo-advancing effect by injecting more fuel in a shorter amount of time. More fuel, shorter amount of time, and all occuring earlier in the pre-power stroke cycle.

What about IDM mods? Same thing...injector opens sooner by a few microseconds.

I'm sorry, the title may not be fitting for my questions, but I'm trying to gather all I can as soon as I can.

Could you create a more quiet and less smokey running motor by delaying SOI and calling for less fuel? Would that cause excessive lag?

I guess this is all more "theory" and not pertaining to Minotaur, so if it needs to be moved...

Thank ya'll in advance!!!
Jeret

I tried here....it's abbreviated since I should be working right now.
Old Tue, September 29th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Love Games?

Thanks Cody! That's awesome! LOTS of help!

I'll have more questions soon. I am really excited about learning. And the more I learn, the more I want to get the Minotaur package so I can create my own tunes...

Does Blowby do all of his own tuning?
Old Tue, September 29th, 2009, 12:32 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Does Blowby do all of his own tuning?
Yep. He certainly does.
Old Tue, September 29th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Love Games?

That's awesome. I wish this forum was a little more active...
Old Tue, September 29th, 2009, 02:47 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

At some times I do as well. It stays pretty tame around here though with just a few folks....it's not always a giant argument (think PSN).
Old Tue, September 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Love Games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
At some times I do as well. It stays pretty tame around here though with just a few folks....it's not always a giant argument (think PSN).
Well, hopefully I'll be able to give input one day. Instead of just questions.

And yeah, I love PSN but the attacks and bickering get old...
Old Thu, October 1st, 2009, 10:33 AM
Love Games?

Does anyone know about what a stocker puts out in CC's per each shot at it's max?

What do ya'll feel like a good ICP max is at WOT on a stock injectored motor with stock oil?

I've put a 10K mod on top of my chip once before when I was running an extremely laggy BBW turbo, and it seemed to help the spooling a good bit.

Does anyone know how to wire up a potentiometer into the ICP and which one to use? I'd like to wire it with a switch so that I don't have to run it all of the time, but I feel like there's a little bit to be gained with a slightly increased ICP over what I have now...

A scanner will not read ICP correctly if I have a 10K in there. Correct? I'd have to check it with a mech. gauge right?
Old Thu, October 1st, 2009, 01:28 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Does anyone know about what a stocker puts out in CC's per each shot at it's max?

What do ya'll feel like a good ICP max is at WOT on a stock injectored motor with stock oil? 2800-3000 PSI max.

I've put a 10K mod on top of my chip once before when I was running an extremely laggy BBW turbo, and it seemed to help the spooling a good bit. Yep. That's about normal. The higher injection pressure at low RPM will help spool the turbocharger by increasing EGT from a more complete burn.

Does anyone know how to wire up a potentiometer into the ICP and which one to use? I'd like to wire it with a switch so that I don't have to run it all of the time, but I feel like there's a little bit to be gained with a slightly increased ICP over what I have now... Yes. I will attach two pictures that I drew up for a guy over at the Nation who had some ICP Mod concerns.

A scanner will not read ICP correctly if I have a 10K in there. Correct? I'd have to check it with a mech. gauge right? The scanner WILL show the desired pressure (and what it thinks is correct), but it will actually be higher than what is shown on the scan tool. You will need a gauge to see what is actually happening. The only differences you'll notice on the scanner is the IPR duty cycle will be higher when the ICP Mod is active.
These are simple ICP mods. The "series" one has become the most popular and common resistances are 10k-20K ohms. This WILL cause problems with aftermarket tuning because you WILL run out of high pressure oil if you have a stock system now.

Don't laugh at the pictures as I only donated about 5 minutes of my time in MS Paint.