Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford - All Other Vehicles > 1973 to 1985 Carburated Vehicles

1973 to 1985 Carburated Vehicles Emissions laden vehicles, but still simple enough to work on and we still love 'em!

Old Wed, November 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Bacon King

Diesel Rookie is on a distinguished road
Default Thunderbird

I just inheritied a sweet 65 Thunderbird from my grandfather. The thing has been garaged its whole life and has the original vinyle top, interior, and the paint is still shinny. It is fully loaded and has the FE 390 ci in it.

I was wondering is anyone familiar with the aftermarket world for this car. Stuff is harder to find for it than I thought. I want to keep it as stock as possible but upgrade some minor things to make it realiable. Was thinking an electronic ignition a new aftermarket carb (stock replacement nothing crazy), and possibly a C-6 trany with a gear vendor to replace the cast iron heap in it. It also needs a new gas tank and some fuel lines. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank goodness for my diesel truck or I would never have been able to go pick this 6500lb monster up.

Joe

4" Down pipe and exhaust, Wicked Wheel, Modified Exhaust Turbo Housing, Big Head Waste Gate Actuator, PML Transmission Pan, Factory Tech Valve Body, Autometer Gage Pod, PHP FU2 Chip
Old Wed, November 11th, 2009, 12:58 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats!
Here's some I found doing a quick search.
Search Results?Thunderbird Headquarters Ford Thunderbird PartsGet details about new and used classic and vintage Ford Thunderbird parts. ... We are a complete Thunderbird parts warehouse. From restoration to ...www.tbirdhq.com/ - Cached - Similar?Classic Ford & Thunderbird Parts Supplier - Concours PartsWe carry a large inventory of Ford Restoration Parts from 1948 to 1972 - Including... · 1955 to 1966 Thunderbird · 1949 to 59 Ford "Big Cars" ...Catalog in PDF - Concours Parts - Classic Car ... - Email us - Newswww.concoursparts.com/ - Cached - Similar?MAC's Antique Auto Parts: Classic Ford Thunderbird Car Parts ...MAC's Antique Auto Parts sells classic Ford Thunderbird restoration car parts & accessories for 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 ...www.macsautoparts.com/birds.html - Cached - Similar?1958 to 1988 Obsolete and Restoration Lincoln Parts and Ford ...Lincoln or Ford Thunderbird. Didn't find what you were looking for? You will find these parts and more, from Bumper to Bumper, in our Catalogs. maintb. ...www.classiquecars.com/ - Cached - Similar

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, November 11th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Cali Gestapo!

Caforddude is on a distinguished road

Man that sounds like a sweet ride. How about some pics.

Old Wed, November 11th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Bacon King

Diesel Rookie is on a distinguished road

I will post some as soon as I go to pick it up. It is about 4 hours away and I will go get it in the next couple of weeks.

4" Down pipe and exhaust, Wicked Wheel, Modified Exhaust Turbo Housing, Big Head Waste Gate Actuator, PML Transmission Pan, Factory Tech Valve Body, Autometer Gage Pod, PHP FU2 Chip
Old Wed, November 11th, 2009, 07:09 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Three words:

Pertronix Ignition Module. It goes right where the points would go and gives you electronic ignition. Just remember to wire it in to a real hot wire (not the coil resistor wire) and put in a coil that doesn't require the resistor.

The 390s ran really well, especially if they're the 10.5:1 (4V) variety.

If you're in the market for an overhaul down the road, buy 360 pistons. 360s were used in trucks from 67-76 and the pistons are the same as 390 4V ones. They'll give you 10.5:1 compression with the stock 390 rods (don't use 352/360 rods with the 3.78" stroke 390 crank).

I've been around FEs my whole life and built quite a few up until I was enlightened by the 385 series gods a few years back.