Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Sun, July 24th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

cj45lc is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust BP sensor

I believe my mpg's have fallen off a little here lately & was just wondering how much the sensor or a plugged tube could be having to do with this. I've read were some tuning may depend on that sensor but I don't know how it affects Bill's tunes. I was thinking of pulling the tube off to see if it's plugged up but I'm not gonna fool with it if I should figure on just getting a sensor & tube because I'm pretty sure it hasn't been apart & I've got 190k miles on it. Just would like some info on how much it affects the tuning or mpg's.
Old Mon, July 25th, 2011, 12:48 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

If Ford put it on there, it's necessary .

There are quite a few things that the PCM looks at when dealing with the backpressure sensor. I'd make sure it's clean.
Old Tue, July 26th, 2011, 09:57 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

On a 6.0L, a clogged EBP Sensor/Tube will have a SIGNIFICANT effect on performance when you use a Non-Inferred EBP strategy. On a 7.3L, an EBP sensor can have a similar effect as the ECM uses EBP as a means to determine calculations for Load (which handle shifting) and for fuel control. While the truck will run fine with an EBP sensor that is clogged, it is not going to be operating at peak.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, July 26th, 2011, 05:55 PM

Hey thanks for the replies fellas, I found the sensor for $35 shipped so I went ahead & ordered it. I figure if the one that's on there is not sooted up I'll have a spare. Just looking at the tube on the truck it looks to be in good shape so I'm thinking I'll just pull the sensor off & see if tube is clear. Do ya'll think it would hurt to clean the tube like on guzzle's site without removing the tube, I'm thinking anything that would go in the exhaust manifold would pass through the exhaust w/o hurting anything.
Old Wed, July 27th, 2011, 11:53 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

It shouldn't hurt. Any small carbon particles will blow right through before the turbo even gets moving. Just don't load the manifold up with chemicals. If you need to use solvent, use just a little bit and then start the vehicle to allow the chemicals to blow out.

You can also check for a clogged EBP tube by removing the sensor and cranking the vehicle up. You should feel a noticeable pressure at idle.

Good luck.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, July 27th, 2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
It shouldn't hurt. Any small carbon particles will blow right through before the turbo even gets moving. Just don't load the manifold up with chemicals. If you need to use solvent, use just a little bit and then start the vehicle to allow the chemicals to blow out.

You can also check for a clogged EBP tube by removing the sensor and cranking the vehicle up. You should feel a noticeable pressure at idle.

Good luck.
Ok thanks Bill, I was wondering if I would be able to feel anything at the tube with the sensor removed.
Old Tue, August 2nd, 2011, 06:35 AM

Well so much for my idea of just taking the sensor off & running something through the tube, that didn't happen. I got the new sensor yesterday & am happy I went ahead & got it because the old one was packed with soot. The fitting at the top of the tube was packed solid so I ended up removing the tube & had to pick through the fitting that the tube & sensor attach to. The tube itself was in good shape & washed out with brake kleen & weedwacker line pretty easily & the fitting on the exhaust manifold was nice and clear. When I started the engine with the old sensor removed I could hardly feel any pressure at the tube, after the cleaning my finger got HOT real quick when I had the wife rev the engine a bit...lol Hopefully my fuel mileage will increase.
Old Tue, November 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM
Whopper Junior

wvmudder is on a distinguished road

I was just wondering if your mileage improved after this?

Thanks,
DS
Old Wed, November 2nd, 2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvmudder View Post
I was just wondering if your mileage improved after this?

Thanks,
DS
I have not really drove it enough to check the mileage but we are thinking about taking a ride down the through Va this weekend so I should be able to check it then.

It did make a difference in how the trans shifted tho
Old Sun, November 6th, 2011, 01:51 PM

Well did a little trip over the weekend, went from Delaware to Va through Harpers Ferry down to Charlotesville then over to Harrisonburg

First checked on the 80dd & got 18.3 mpg mixed driving mostly back roads 55-65 mph & a little interstate 70-75 mpg

Checked it coming home on the 120race, 80-90% interstate 70-75 mph 17.6mpg

So I'd say yes the EBP tube & sensor being clean did increase my mpg by 1-2mpg at least.