Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Tue, October 18th, 2011, 10:12 PM
RailDawg

steelrain is on a distinguished road
Suggestions on non gryphon programmer

I've been trolling the forum for a bit now. Looking for custom edge setups. I'm looking to upgrade to a gryphon beginning of next year. I still have a couple more additions I want to put on my truck first. Just wondering if there is anything else I can squeeze out the ole edge in the mean time. me please!!

Current Mods on my 2008 XLT Super Crew Cab: BBK 80mm TB, TB Spacer, JLT Ram Air intake, Jet Power MAF, JBA Headers, True Duel Exhaust, Stupid Magna flow mufflers And of course the Edge Programmer.
Thinking Cherry bombs or glass packs instead of Magna flows.. Also need to install the actually ram air hood.

Also learned the hard way if you put a bigger TB on make sure you have the MAF sensor that can keep up. I got over excited when it showed up on a friday and the MAF didnt show up till the following monday. I had to pull over and shut off the truck to reset the engine, kept going into forced idle mode lol!!
Old Tue, October 18th, 2011, 11:03 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain View Post
I've been trolling the forum for a bit now. Looking for custom edge setups. I'm looking to upgrade to a gryphon beginning of next year. I still have a couple more additions I want to put on my truck first. Just wondering if there is anything else I can squeeze out the ole edge in the mean time. me please!!

Current Mods on my 2008 XLT Super Crew Cab: BBK 80mm TB, TB Spacer, JLT Ram Air intake, Jet Power MAF, JBA Headers, True Duel Exhaust, Stupid Magna flow mufflers And of course the Edge Programmer.
Thinking Cherry bombs or glass packs instead of Magna flows.. Also need to install the actually ram air hood.

Also learned the hard way if you put a bigger TB on make sure you have the MAF sensor that can keep up. I got over excited when it showed up on a friday and the MAF didnt show up till the following monday. I had to pull over and shut off the truck to reset the engine, kept going into forced idle mode lol!!
Are you a poster boy for all those products?

Or

Do you believe everything you read?

I'm trying to be nice about it but man those companies just lightened your wallet big time......half of those mods don't do anything except cause headaches down the road.......your best bet is to upgrade to the gryphon and get custom tunes first before messing around with edge settings.....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, October 19th, 2011, 10:12 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

^^^ What he said!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, October 19th, 2011, 02:49 PM
RailDawg

Well i suposse thanks for the help.. Im not a poster boy for the stuff i bought or had given to me. I get the tb spacer is a joke but that was a freebie. Which i should prob remove and regift it lol. But headers pipes and a intake i dont get. Maybe my ported heads dont deserve to beathe but through the stock airbox or restrictive factory muffler lol. The bigger tb did help with the over sensitivity of the gas pedal after it was programmend. The maf did correct the forced idle mode when running wot. It runs in my opinion so much better then factory.

With just this stuff on my truck i run 0 to 60 in 6.76. I figure not bad for a heavy 4x4. Im not trying to sound like a douche but maybe i could get your opinion on my mods. I like to think i did my research on stuff. No matter where i went it was either it good for you or it dosent work. So i made my own call. Figure i spent about 700 bucks on intake and pipes. The heads aset me back 600 just to port and polish. It was something new to learn never done machine work myself before but now i have. So if i listen to your "do you belive everything you read" comment i would say i take everything with a grain of salt. If i read enough about this gryphon upgrade it sounds like it works very well but if you read a few of the others it sounds like it causes a bunch of problems. I hope it blows my doors off when i get mine done. But i guess i wont know for sure till i lighten my pockets a bit more with php huh?
Old Thu, October 20th, 2011, 11:28 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Current Mods on my 2008 XLT Super Crew Cab:
BBK 80mm TB......the intake itself and cmcv actually limits this mod along with the heads

TB Spacer.......as you already know....doesn't help on FI systems

JLT Ram Air intake.....hardest cai to tune.....due to the short tube....doesn't allow the air to stablize

Jet Power MAF......a ford maf with some resistors to fool the pcm

JBA Headers.....if these are shorties its been proven that they don't have any hp gains on a naturally aspirated motor....with a supercharger they do.....they do improve the sound.....long tube headers are your best choice for gains

True Duel Exhaust......nothing wrong with that as long as its 2.5" piping or 2.25" piping
Stupid Magna flow mufflers........nothing wrong with them either.....at least they're not flowmasters

And of course the Edge Programmer........doesn't allow for some of your air intake mods to have the correct air/fuel ratio and the an cause an even leaner condition over that of the stock programming.......

That why I suggested custom tunes and no you wont be lightening your wallet anymore cause this will be an improvement......

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, October 20th, 2011, 04:38 PM
RailDawg

Default thank you

Alright now that's what I was looking for man!! Sorry if I sounded a bit put off. I was looking for more of an answer to my edge question. All I got was you put crap on your truck and spent to much on it. lol I do have the long throw headers. The TB spacer is off and making a paper weight out of it. And the magna flow mufflers I do like but I don't like the sound of these. Maybe a different series. I will look in to changing out the CAI. I will hold off the TB for a bit. I just put it on a couple weeks ago and in my opinion haven't had enough time to test her out. If I don't end up keeping it. I'm sure I can find another fool to take it off my hands. Again appreciate this response alot better and will for sure get my edge in to change her out. Thanks for the help
Old Sat, October 29th, 2011, 07:24 AM
truck # 3

60DRB is on a distinguished road

Unless you are wanting the under hood bling, you could recoup some of the PHP cost by selling the CAI and MAF, and converting back to mostly stock air plumbing with the gotts mod.