Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, March 14th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Whopper Junior

blueovalandy is on a distinguished road
Help Reprogramming for Phaser Lockout HELP

Hello everyone at PHP!

I am new to this forum and am interested in updating my Edge evolution with your tunes. I have a 2004 f150 with a 5.4 3 valve that has the typical camshaft phaser knock as well as some guides and chain tensioners that I fear are failing. My plan is to replace all of the guides, tensioners, and chains as well as locking the phasers using the Livernois Lockouts. My questions is, can the Gryphon be used to adjust the VCT perimeters? Will a custom tune be required? Is this something that you guys have dealt with before?

I am looking for direction at this point, but I will need to get the ball rolling ASAP! I already have the chains, tensioners, and guides but I am trying to get the information I need so that I can handle it.

I will be looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Andy
Old Wed, March 14th, 2012, 11:28 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Boy, you are really just covering up a pretty major issue......OIL PRESSURE!

Before you tear into this thing you should throw an oil pressure gauge on it and see whats happening there. Hot oil pressure (EOT @200*) should be at least 25 psi, but in my opinion - I think 30 psi should be the absolute minimum. If the pressure is low you will just be throwing money away putting these parts into a motor that is on its way out.

If I had one of these trucks I might consider loosing the phasers, but wouldnt dare do it to cover up something more serious.

Good Luck!
Old Thu, March 15th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Whopper Junior

Thanks for the reply.

I don't suspect the oil pressure as the problem. I have not put a second gauge on it, but the factory gauge still reads quite high. And has not changed since any of the problems started. These motors have a extremely well documented design flaw in the camshaft timing system. My motor runs great, has never throne a code or CEL, and only has 82,000 miles on it.

Most of the early 3 valve 5.4's have cam phaser knock, it is not a pressure problem but a phaser design problem. The Lockout basically locks the phaser into one position (60 degrees advanced), keeping it from being able to knock back and forth. Basically the motor acts as if it did not have a phaser at all.

This is not the first time a phaser has been locked out. I just need info about the programing side of it so I can get whatever I need to get this job done.

Thanks Again.

Andy
Old Thu, March 15th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough

Are you sure that the factory oil pressure 'gauge' isn't a switch and not a true analog gauge?

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old Thu, March 15th, 2012, 02:20 PM
BROKE

Positive.
Old Thu, March 15th, 2012, 02:31 PM
BROKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovalandy View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I don't suspect the oil pressure as the problem. I have not put a second gauge on it, but the factory gauge still reads quite high. And has not changed since any of the problems started. These motors have a extremely well documented design flaw in the camshaft timing system. My motor runs great, has never throne a code or CEL, and only has 82,000 miles on it.

Most of the early 3 valve 5.4's have cam phaser knock, it is not a pressure problem but a phaser design problem. The Lockout basically locks the phaser into one position (60 degrees advanced), keeping it from being able to knock back and forth. Basically the motor acts as if it did not have a phaser at all.

This is not the first time a phaser has been locked out. I just need info about the programing side of it so I can get whatever I need to get this job done.

Thanks Again.

Andy
I really urge you to put an actual gauge on it. A few minutes of diagnostic can save you a bunch of time and money down the road.

The reason its "knocking" is because there is insufficient oil pressure to hold it into a full advance position. It could be a restriction (sludge) in the VCT solenoid body gasket or screen, it could be a solenoid issue....but if your chains are making noise too - it's likely this is not your issue because the tensioner gets the oil before it even hits the VCT solenoid.
Old Thu, March 15th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Whopper Junior

I will check the oil pressure before I tear into the chain system, just to make sure.

My question is about tuning. Has anyone used the Gryphon to control the VCT? Does any one have experience with locking out a phaser on a 3 valve and retuning it? What were the results?

Thanks again,

Andy
Old Thu, March 15th, 2012, 09:04 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:

My question is about tuning. Has anyone used the Gryphon to control the VCT? Does any one have experience with locking out a phaser on a 3 valve and retuning it? What were the results?

Thanks again,

Andy
Spending <$400 to disable a system that Ford spent MILLIONS to develop?

Sounds like a great idea to me!
Old Thu, March 15th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Whopper Junior

Think about the millions they spent to engineer a completely new line of engines and eliminate the 3 valve after only 6 years of production.

I thought this was a tuning site! If we are scared to spend money in an effort to make our vehicles better, then what is this site all about? Ford spent millions on perfecting the stock tunes that all of us are trying to make better. Right?

Again, my question is about tuning. Can the Gryphon be used to control VTC programming? Have any of you done this or even heard of anyone doing this. The internet is covered with mustang owners who are doing this in order to install larger camshafts, I just have not found many F150 owners who have posted their results. And I have found no examples of anyone using a Gryphon or Edge to do it.

Please help, I need info and direction from someone who does programming.

Thank you so much!

Andy
Old Fri, March 16th, 2012, 12:47 AM
BROKE

Quote:
Think about the millions they spent to engineer a completely new line of engines and eliminate the 3 valve after only 6 years of production.

I thought this was a tuning site! If we are scared to spend money in an effort to make our vehicles better, then what is this site all about? Ford spent millions on perfecting the stock tunes that all of us are trying to make better. Right?
We can go on all day with this subject. I am not arguing the fact that the VCT AND engine have some design flaws, but dont think you need to be covering up a much larger and potentially more serious problem via tuning. Be sure your engine is mechanically sound before moving forward....its not that complicated.

Quote:
Again, my question is about tuning. Can the Gryphon be used to control VTC programming? Have any of you done this or even heard of anyone doing this. The internet is covered with mustang owners who are doing this in order to install larger camshafts, I just have not found many F150 owners who have posted their results. And I have found no examples of anyone using a Gryphon or Edge to do it.

Please help, I need info and direction from someone who does programming.

Thank you so much!

Andy
I wish I could be more help with this, but I dont know what Bill is willing to do. There have been numerous occasions I wish I could have just disabled those things, but I fixed the root problem instead....LOL