Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 01:13 PM
_____

j_gill is on a distinguished road
Help HELP! 2004 F150 Edg Evo CTS

Hi everyone, I purchased my very first truck about a month ago, its a 2004 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT 4X4, it has about 163,000 miles and runs amazingly well. I immediately went crazy wanting to upgrade and add stuff to my truck. I previously had a 1999 GMC Sonoma 4 cyl. so obviously you can see my excitement. I had Flo-Pro exhaust installed with 3 inch tips (I know not the greatest but I didn't want shattered windows from angry neighbors when I leave for work at 4 a.m.) about 2 weeks after I got my truck. I installed a Kenwood screen, Kicker CTS 12'' sub, and Kicker amp in also. I then decided to put a K&N cold air intake kit under the hood. I was in the mood for something new and went to our local off road supply store and was talking to the manager who told me I should install an Edge CTS programmer next. I guess being a female and not doing my research made me a moving target. I told him everything I have done to my truck thus far and he recommended the programmer. I said okay, paid, and got it last week. I put it in my truck finally on Monday and tuned it to just the trans. level. Well, after reading about all of this I had discovered that running these canned tunes with a CIA can cause my truck to run lean (not sure exactly what that means but I know its not good). So now I am terrified that I am going to screw my truck up. I want to update to the Gryphon with custom tunes but I am unsure how long it will take. Can I restore my settings back to factory and just take it out for now or am I in too deep? I am highly pissed off at this "general manager" because he either sold me the product just because of the money he would be making and didn't give a damn about the damage he could cause my truck or sold me a product he knows nothing about. Either way, I am scared I am going to screw my truck up now. I noticed the other day when I hit the gas it shifted a little hard. I am not sure what my options are but if anyone has an opinion on what I should do, please let me know. Thank you in advance!
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 01:32 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

if this were a 06-08 then you should be ok running it only with the canned trans tune....the fuel timing tables are not touched when you tuned your truck to this level......now if it was the performance canned tune that would be different....

A custom tune is recommended to be used with a CAI due to the maf relocation and the change in the air inlet tube size....

the 04-05's ran lean from the factory....will your 04 have issues? it most certainly could....why risk it????

my best advice if you want to keep using the CTS programming and Cai is to put your stock air intake back on and order custom tunes for the Cai....then order custom tunes.....usually the wait is 4-6 weeks depending on work load...

Or put the programming back to stock and use the CTS as a gauge until the custom tunes arrive....

power hungry performance website link>>>www.gopowerhungry.com
order tunes for the CTS link>>> https://fs21.formsite.com/Power_Hung...ure_index.html

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

First, to the forum!

Second...

You can leave the programmer in the truck and just use it as a monitor until your custom tunes arrive. It' no problem at all.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 02:06 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

X2, or put the stock intake back in and do the gotts mod.
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 02:54 PM
_____

j_gill is on a distinguished road

Okay awesome, thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help! So I just program it back to the "stock" level for now? Also, I have yet to get my alarm system installed so after I turn my truck off is it safe for me to take the screen out of the truck and into the house with me? I just know I am going to be sick if I come out one morning and my programmer is gone! Lol. Oh, one more question! Haha sorry! The speedometer gauge on my CTS is off dramatically from my truck speedometer, would that have anything to do with my gear ratio information? It's as bad as the truck shows I am going 70 an the CTs will say sometimes as low as 22 mph. Thanks again for all of yalls help and any further advise, it is truly appreciated!
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Yeah, you can remove the programmer from the truck. The only time you NEED to have it in there is while programming.

Have you made sure your tire size and gear ratios are correct?
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 10:41 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Once its programmed back to stock or even if a tune is loaded its safe to take it out of the truck......

Dont worry about the speedometer issue on the cts for right now....you just need to worry about not running lean....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.

Tags
04 f150, cai, custom tunes, edge cts