Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Whopper Junior

lanemeyer is on a distinguished road

Alright, so I took the cone off the end of the intake, and for now just have it open in the engine compartment. Do I need to unhook the battery before driving? Positive or Negative.

I have not added a new snorkel yet, I cant get the abs pipe in town. i don't like the white PVC pipe I can get. I am still looking for something that is similar to oem like tubing. I tried a shop vac wand but it is 2.5" diameter, close no cigar, next thought is a leaf blower/vac tube, but being it is February in NE they have not put them out yet.
Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanemeyer View Post
Alright, so I took the cone off the end of the intake, and for now just have it open in the engine compartment. Do I need to unhook the battery before driving? Positive or Negative.

I have not added a new snorkel yet, I cant get the abs pipe in town. i don't like the white PVC pipe I can get. I am still looking for something that is similar to oem like tubing. I tried a shop vac wand but it is 2.5" diameter, close no cigar, next thought is a leaf blower/vac tube, but being it is February in NE they have not put them out yet.
Unhook the battery? No, I don't think so. unhooking it will FORCE the PCM to relearn everything over a period of several drive cycles, but, unless I'm totally wrong here, it relearns everything anyway, just at a slower rate. And, you possibly don't want it to get too fond of the intake in the engine compartment, since you're planning to get the inlet back into the fender well.

You COULD paint the PVC pipe black, you know. My black painted hose clamp came out looking super and added at least 100 HP! (Suppose I should post a picture of the final, glorious, all-black, $8 mod, right)?

I found the ABS in Home Depot. I think it may be sewer piping.

- Jack
Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Double Whopper

Dfishrmn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Unhook the battery? No, I don't think so. unhooking it will FORCE the PCM to relearn everything over a period of several drive cycles, but, unless I'm totally wrong here, it relearns everything anyway, just at a slower rate. And, you possibly don't want it to get too fond of the intake in the engine compartment, since you're planning to get the inlet back into the fender well.

You COULD paint the PVC pipe black, you know. My black painted hose clamp came out looking super and added at least 100 HP! (Suppose I should post a picture of the final, glorious, all-black, $8 mod, right)?

I found the ABS in Home Depot. I think it may be sewer piping.

- Jack
Jack,
Boy that paint must get better with age! Last time you told it only added 30hp.
Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Whopper Junior

lanemeyer is on a distinguished road

I think it has to do with the building codes in the area, no one carries the abs pipe.

Wow 100 HP that is amazing
Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 10:14 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanemeyer View Post
I think it has to do with the building codes in the area, no one carries the abs pipe.

Wow 100 HP that is amazing
And, maybe by tomorrow it will be 200HP! Like "fine wine"....

Got to get that picture!

- Jack
Old Sat, February 21st, 2009, 05:45 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

It's getting deep!

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, February 21st, 2009, 06:55 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Time to get the waders on.... :waders:

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, February 21st, 2009, 08:25 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Bill made a post 1 hour ago? He's been on the road since 4AM I will have to investigate.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Sat, February 21st, 2009, 06:29 PM
PHP Groupie

OK, here we are - the final "All Black" (apologies to the New Zealand Rugby team) version of my homemade CAI:

I compressed the bellows pretty much to give it some room to expand under engine torque and not pull the tube out of the fender wall. I noticed that earlier, when I had slid the bellows down the tube farther, it had pulled the tube out about 1/2 inch after a hard acceleration (because the engine twists away from the fender wall in this state).

Another view:

It's a fairly neat assembly, and even though the airflow curve is not as "smooth" as I'd like, I think it directs the flow fairly well.

- Jack
Old Sun, March 1st, 2009, 11:28 PM
Be A Saint

lynn2437 is on a distinguished road

I understand why I need to unhook my battery, but for how long and also what terminal? I have reasearched alot on this mod and others like it and I'm getting conflicting times (from ten minutes to 24 hours) and differences on which terminal. I also read some where about turning on your lights or ignition or something to drain something? What does this mean.

Jack, Bill, anybody have clarifications for me?

Thanks,
Lynn

Tags
dwv intake mod