Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Thu, March 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Txarsoncop - I really had to laugh when I saw your nice shiny CAI in your "camouflaged as a desert" engine bay! Kind of like wearing shorts with cowboy boots and a cowboy hat.

But, the intake sure is purty!

- Jack
I knew someone would say that before to long...but hey its a good way to tell where the new addition is.
Old Thu, March 26th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Member in Sin

SinCityFX4 is on a distinguished road
So....though I could toss this in there. Sorry if it needs to be elsewhere but with the intake creativity you guys have it moght fit in.

Took some pics of the 09 intake...

Interesting setup...it's got some mod possibilities for you engineering masters eh.
Old Thu, March 26th, 2009, 11:10 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
Interesting they went back to a remote filter box?

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, March 26th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Member in Sin

SinCityFX4 is on a distinguished road

It's friggin wierd. I guess I will have to go back and get more pics but I am curious as to the fx and setup of some of the pieces. Like the piece that comes of right after the hose clamp but before the bellows and goes down.

They moved alot around and not sure why? The main relay box is front and center too..
Old Fri, March 27th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Whopper

txarsoncop is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Txarsoncop - I really had to laugh when I saw your nice shiny CAI in your "camouflaged as a desert" engine bay! Kind of like wearing shorts with cowboy boots and a cowboy hat.

But, the intake sure is purty!

- Jack
That was for instructional purposes of course. Had everything been all nice and shiny there wouldn't have been enough contrast to highlight the changes.

Sheesh, don't you people know anything! slams door......

2005 Screw 4x4 Lariat - mostly stock

1964.5 Mustang - not stock
Old Fri, March 27th, 2009, 03:31 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by txarsoncop View Post
That was for instructional purposes of course. Had everything been all nice and shiny there wouldn't have been enough contrast to highlight the changes.

Sheesh, don't you people know anything! slams door......

Of course, stupid of me! I can be Sooo dense, sometimes!

Thanks for being so "tactful" in your explanation!

- Jack
Old Sat, March 28th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Double Whopper

Location: 2nd star to the right, straight on 'til morning(Ohio)
SubiGT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Again, when I get questions about leaving the end of the tube open, I always end up going back to the 60's & 70's cars that had air cleaners with the snorkel that barely made it past the valve covers.

From a performance aspect, cooler air is always more desirable than warmer air. Although, like Jack, I wonder just how much warmer the air really is getting in the intake tube when blasting along at 70 MPH. This would be an easy thing to validate since the programmers have ACT in the PIDS. If it was less than 10º difference, I'd wonder just how necessary it really is to complete the tube connection to the fender.

As for CAIs, there's no question they're drawing some amount of warm air from under the hood. Again, a quick check of the ACT before and after installing will give you the final word.
I have the OEM airtube open. I also just got my Gryphon. The ACT(PID) and OAT in the factory gauge cluster were 8deg split all day today. 54(OAT) was 62(ACT). The ACT would climb when sitting, but would quickly drop to the 8deg difference when moving.

I am going to get a 12" section of black ABS, but I really don't expect to see the ACT ever reach the OAT.
Old Tue, March 31st, 2009, 08:50 PM
Double Whopper

AgentOrange is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by txarsoncop View Post
Sawzall really effed up part of the tubing, the guard scratched it up some... ach well. Maybe some other day I'll work on cleaning that up. Fixing that will mean smoothing the whole thing though.
Glad to see I'm not the only one that hates those baffles!

I had the same problem with scratches from my jig saw when I cut mine. Cutting it from the bottom side would have hidden scratches...oh well, live and learn.

It turned out great, good job!

Eventually, I want to get rid of the caps and smooth the openings with some type of filler...just haven't figured out what to use yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5989.jpg (44.5 KB, 24 views)

2005 F150 King Ranch SCrew 4x4
Flowmaster SIDO exhaust
DIY Ram/CAI
Electric Fan
Leveled w/ 20" wheels
3.73 LS
Old Wed, April 1st, 2009, 07:28 AM
Whopper

txarsoncop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Eventually, I want to get rid of the caps and smooth the openings with some type of filler...just haven't figured out what to use yet.
I thought the same thing! I could get my hands inside to all three openings and I thought about taping wax paper to the inside and trying to use the epoxy to seal up the holes...

But then I figured I couldn't match the texture of the intake tube and it would probably need some matrix like a fiberglass cloth or redneck it with screen cloth to help support it; at least while it was drying.

So I got lazy, but I think it's the best possible result w/o doing a LOT of work.

2005 Screw 4x4 Lariat - mostly stock

1964.5 Mustang - not stock
Old Sun, April 19th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

jimmyv13 is on a distinguished road

Anyone think it's worth it to use an aftermarket drop in filter with this set up?

Tags
dwv intake mod