Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 05:38 PM
American Muscle

dplummer87 is on a distinguished road
Default HEX codes and what they mean

Ok, so that huge red sign on the main page has me intrigued...What the heck is a hex code...Did a search for HEX and returned nothing hope this hasnt been asked...

Also, groovy (or whoever) mind checkin out my stuff to make sure i got it all filled out right? This way its one less thing for me to worry about when i send my tuner in to you guys no rush.
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Double Whopper

dlmcbm is on a distinguished road

This is a post that I started when ordering my flip chip.

http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...read.php?t=940

hope this helps.

2001 F-350 crew cab 4X4
DIY napa air filter
4" turbo back exhaust
PHP flip chip--- stock,fuel sipper, 100hp, 140hp
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 06:07 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

A hex code is the basic building block for what your customs are written from. I don't know how many there are out there. Alls I know is that you and I might have the same ones but you and your neighbor may not and all 3 of our trucks may be exactly the same. Part of it is the version of software/firmware the factory loads and if your pcm has ever been reflashed.

If Bill/Jack read this they will explain it better.

Lars

BTW they are gone until Monday.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 06:17 PM
American Muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmcbm View Post
This is a post that I started when ordering my flip chip.

http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...read.php?t=940

hope this helps.
I already got my hex code, i just want to know what the heck it is....lars gave me a small run down. Thanks though
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 08:37 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplummer87 View Post
I already got my hex code, i just want to know what the heck it is....lars gave me a small run down. Thanks though
It's not something that you really want to read off the sticker on the PCM. The hex code is an "identification" of the program that is burned into the PCM either at the factory, when the truck was built or the identification of a new dealer flash that Ford determines is good for your truck. (The new dealer flash is the reason you don't want to read the hex code off the sticker - the flash changed it). The stock Gryphon comes ready to accept a large number of hex codes (they're in a table that''s part of the Gryphon's firmware. When it reprograms the PCM to a new level using these canned tunes, the hex code is not changed, but I think the Gryphon is pretty much "married" to that hex code until it is returned to stock.

The canned tunes are very generic - sort of like Maxwell House coffee: They "wake up" any truck that they're applied to, but that's about it.

Now, when Bill writes your specific custom tunes, he "marries" those to YOUR hex code, so they won't work on someone else's truck. Part of this, of course is to keep one programmer from being used to program every truck in the world (no profit in that)! But, another, more important reason is that a custom tune for your truck COULD damage MY truck, and Bill would not want you to damage my truck with your programmer.

The custom tune is like the gourmet coffee you drink on special occasions. It's perfect for your tastes, but I possibly wouldn't like it - it could even upset my tummy!

And, if I haven't bored you enough already, the hex code is probably located in the first few bytes of the flash memory program stored in the PCM. The Gryphon can retrieve and display it using the "diagnostics" menu, as I recall.

Does this explanation help or confuse you?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 11:19 PM
American Muscle

Yup thanks...I used the edge to find the "hex" code and thats what i posted in my User CP...But you gave me a pretty good understanding for what the hex code is...Thanks.
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 12:46 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

Jack, Funny you mentioned damaging another truck running the wrong Hex code. I Just replied to a FTE post where the guy had got a evolution programmer from someone else and hooked it to his truck.. the first thing he did was run the return to stock option as he felt the truck had previously had a programmer ran on it before he bought it..... so he basiclly put the other guys stock program on his pcm... now his truck runs rough and only goes in reverse suggested he contact bill about getting a Gryphon as Bill can get him the proper stock tune for his truck....

you can look at this post of Bill's at dieselsite for an example of how many hex codes there are hex codes 7.3 its for the diesels but you will get the idea... some of them are interchangeable... I am not running the original hex code for my truck due to another compatible hex code having better shifting strategies.....
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Redbull Junkie

TA2Dsailor is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jack. Well put
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 09:58 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
Jack, Funny you mentioned damaging another truck running the wrong Hex code. I Just replied to a FTE post where the guy had got a evolution programmer from someone else and hooked it to his truck.. the first thing he did was run the return to stock option as he felt the truck had previously had a programmer ran on it before he bought it..... so he basiclly put the other guys stock program on his pcm... now his truck runs rough and only goes in reverse suggested he contact bill about getting a Gryphon as Bill can get him the proper stock tune for his truck....

you can look at this post of Bill's at dieselsite for an example of how many hex codes there are hex codes 7.3 its for the diesels but you will get the idea... some of them are interchangeable... I am not running the original hex code for my truck due to another compatible hex code having better shifting strategies.....
That's a wild story southpaw! If I understand you, the Edge WAS at stock but he ran the "Return to Stock" as the very first programming choice? I can see how this would have loaded a previously saved "foreign" stock tune into his PCM (since that's what's sitting in the Edge), and, it would appear he's stuck with it too (until Bill or a dealership can reprogram his PCM).

It's my understanding that if the Edge was not at stock when he plugged it in, it would not have recognized his truck.

There seems to be some question about the other possibility: That if his truck HAD been holding a tune, would an Edge (set to level 0) recognize it or not? And, if it DOES recognize the truck, would it then store the current program in the PCM as the stock tune if he tried to program to a new level above 0? It's my understanding that anytime you retune your PCM from level 0 to a higher tune, that the Edge/Gryphon stores the current PCM's tune as the stock tune. This does not occur, of course, if you simply switch between advanced levels.

There's a huge list of hex codes for gassers too. I used to have a copy of it but decided it wasn't of much use to me. I hadn't thought about some being interchangeable, but I suppose an OEM flash and a dealer reflash are interchangeable (as an example).

I keep thinking this subject should be simple, but it's not!

- Jack
Old Sat, April 25th, 2009, 12:05 PM
American Muscle

Hey jack, thanks for the info again...If you get a sec do you mind checking to make sure i have all the info thats needed in my user cp....(im assuming you're a mod...I thought i saw somewhere else you checked some guys) if not, forgive me.