Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, July 13th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Whopper

Kurt14 is on a distinguished road
Default Strange Noises (tranny?, transfer?)

Ok So, I'm in the process of saving up and purchasing Under-Drive Pulleys and a Custom live tune from PHP. But, before I get any of that done I am trying to diagnose the noise issue I am having. I have recently replaced the U-joints, checked the rear differential, and replacing fluids with synthetic RP. The noise is a thump-thump-thump-thump-thump you can hear it only and best at low speeds say 28 and under, out of the throttle when coasting, noise almost disappears when put into neutral. I am in the process of becoming an automotive tech but am having issues diagnosing this issue and it's really worrying me. I have taken it to the local Vernie Jones Ford dealership but absolutely will not return there. They always give me the run around and don't want my business. Absolutely drives me crazy. I'm thinking I caused this issue from when I first got the programmer I turned the shift pressure up high. Anyone deal with this or have any ideas?

Fancy - 2005 Ford F-150 Crew 5.4 Lariat with Banks Ram Air Intake, Custom Flowmaster (hidden) Exhaust, 2.5'' Daystar Leveling Kit, Red Top Optima, and a (eager to be updated to Gryphon) Edge Evolution Programmer. Plus many custom appearance mods..
Old Mon, July 13th, 2009, 12:13 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

That noise would worry me also!

What kind of adjustment have you done with the evo and tranny?

Any vibration inthe driveline or steering wheel?

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, July 13th, 2009, 01:19 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

You can't really change the shift pressure with an Edge or a Gryphon. All you can change is the time it takes for the clutch to lock up during shifts (shift firmness).

Thump-thump doesn't sound like a transmission issue to me anyway. What it DOES suggest to me is a bad CV joint. Does the sound get more noticeable during a turn? I THINK you have a 4x4 - have you looked at the driveaxle boots? If they're cracked or otherwise damaged, I think that's the problem.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, July 13th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
That noise would worry me also!

What kind of adjustment have you done with the evo and tranny?

Any vibration inthe driveline or steering wheel?

Lars
To begin with I turned the firmness up high, but later learned it wasn't the best idea.. It's not turned down, way down.. No vibrations in the steering wheel other than it's slightly out of align, haha... Yea, this noise have bothered me for quite sometime.. it's just now getting a little louder...

* JACK AND JANET *

It stays the same if I am going straight or in a turn... I have read about the front not disengaging correctly but I just haven't ruled anything out other than U-joints and Gears.. I'll research the front drive components today. By the way it only have 67,000 miles on everything...

Thanks for the help guys...

Fancy - 2005 Ford F-150 Crew 5.4 Lariat with Banks Ram Air Intake, Custom Flowmaster (hidden) Exhaust, 2.5'' Daystar Leveling Kit, Red Top Optima, and a (eager to be updated to Gryphon) Edge Evolution Programmer. Plus many custom appearance mods..
Old Mon, July 13th, 2009, 02:57 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

If you have a lift kit? Start checking some of the components of the kit also to make sure the driveline isn't binding or rubbing.

Lars

Old Mon, July 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Whopper

Quote:
If you have a lift kit? Start checking some of the components of the kit also to make sure the driveline isn't binding or rubbing.

Lars
Will do! I am leveled out with a 2.5 Daystar kit... Thanks a ton...

Old Tue, July 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Whopper

Checked the entire front components... The drive boots look brand new so unless it's internal the CV's looked perfect.. The one thing I did notice is marks on my coil spring but I believe they are there from when I have had it on the lift at work and school and the A-arm drops down onto the spring and caused a little mark.. That was all I could find up front. The steering looks great, the front chunk is spotless.. How exactly do I check the angle on the driveline to tell if that is my noise?

Old Tue, July 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

You have a lift!
Put the truck up on it if its a 2 post and turn every wheel by hand and you or your buddy go around and listen. Do you have a yolk bearing support on the drive shaft?
Check the wheel lugs.
Do you have access to a dyno? If you do just put it on there and go for a drive and have your friends listen also.
I am running out of ideas!

Lars

Old Tue, July 14th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Whopper

Quote:
You have a lift!
Put the truck up on it if its a 2 post and turn every wheel by hand and you or your buddy go around and listen. Do you have a yolk bearing support on the drive shaft?
Check the wheel lugs.
I am running out of ideas!

Lars
I will try to put it on the lift tonight.. Need to rotate the tires anyway.. Only thing done to the drive shaft from factory is that I have Dana/Spicer U-joints instead of factory.. Yea, I have run out of ideas as well.. It's driving me nuts..

Old Tue, July 14th, 2009, 02:05 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

While you got those tires off check the balance. Check the lug pattern in the whell and studs. Check the brake components.

Lars