Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, April 17th, 2009, 09:04 PM
American Muscle

dplummer87 is on a distinguished road
Default Bill/Cory Exhaust Thoughts

I did a search but didnt find anything, hope this has not been asked.

Anyway, I figure the guys doing the custom tuning around here have been around a dyno or 2 in their days...So my question is, have you noticed if any exhaust is "better" than the other? Now i know there is a fine line you guys probably have to walk because if you go and say Flowmaster (JUST AN EXAMPLE) performs the best on an F150, and all the guys here ran out and threw those on their trucks and felt like they lost power, or didnt gain any or whatever (people will look for reasons to complain) but I would really like to know, if you were to put an exhaust on your truck, what would you put on it?

Assuming you drive a truck (hopefully an F150 )

If its stock What exhaust would you put on it?

If its not stock, What exhaust do you have on it?

If its not stock, what exhaust would you wish you had gone with?

The real reason i ask is i know everyone here wants the biggest bang for their buck and are entrusting you with our money, and our trucks, so what exhaust would you recommend to work with your tunes...

Just curious
Old Fri, April 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Cali Gestapo!

Caforddude is on a distinguished road

I run a Banks Monster exhaust on my truck and like it a lot.

Old Fri, April 17th, 2009, 09:39 PM
working for parts.....

Northern Supercrew is on a distinguished road

Running stock still..maybe this sounds weird, but my exhaust sounds throatier with the custom tunes....it sounds like an aftermarket is on there...I don't see a reason to change it out yet.
Old Fri, April 17th, 2009, 10:50 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
One thing if you are going after market exhaust shopping, is take into account of where you live and what you do with the truck.

1. Spend the extra $ go stainless. That's what the truck has on it anyways.

2. Posted this earlier in another thread if you remove cats, install long tube headers, true duals or do anything with the "y" pipe(any combination of these) you may need to have Bill adjust your customs.

3. Types or styles or mfgs the sky is the limit!

4. I have Gibson si-do sweptside behind wheel same side outlets.

5. I love the way Gibson sounds. I have always had one of their systems in any truck I have owned. The cars have had their mufflers be cherry bombs or thrush turbos or purple hornies.

6. Made the mistake on my 06 and had straight out the back under the bumper exits. Didn't sound to great in the cab when echoing off the flat front of the trailor. The right side seat noise also increased on that trip. Sold that setup to my budy.

Whatever you think about to install it's out there to buy.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, April 18th, 2009, 09:54 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I think Lars has given you some excellent advice here, dplummer. I wouldn't worry at all about people recommending a specific brand - it's what we did when we told everyone how much we like the Gryphon!

I think all you can do is get user feedback on what they've tried. It's all pretty subjective, in my opinion. I know, for instance, there is a bed cover I would recommend (A.R.E. - what I've had on two trucks now) and a brand I would not recommend that I had once - but I won't say the name publicly.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, April 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM
American Muscle

I already know what exhaust im more than likely going to end up with...Im just wondering if the gang at PHP know of any exhaust that seem to put perform more than the others. Im talking strictly cat back...
Old Sun, April 19th, 2009, 07:55 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

My thoughts on exhaust are also this:

If I knew now what I should have known then. I would have gone with the complete gutting and replaced everything from front to back. Kind of hard to justify a third system isn't it?

Lars

Old Sun, April 19th, 2009, 12:11 PM
American Muscle

See, thats what i was thinking, i mean, IMO, by the time it gets to the muffler, the muffler is probably just being used as a "silencer" i mean, its already gone through the restricted headers and the restricted cats right?

So unless i put some headers and highflow cats, the muffler is probably just sound....? Logical thinking or no? Please correct me if its not. Im here to learn
Old Sun, April 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Whopper

DOD 4.6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplummer87 View Post
I already know what exhaust im more than likely going to end up with...Im just wondering if the gang at PHP know of any exhaust that seem to put perform more than the others. Im talking strictly cat back...
if strictly cat back... i highly recommend the ROUSH off road system. Once i installed it, the truck idled perfectly and i honestly felt more mid range power. It's made of very high quality materials, simple install, looks great, and best of all - it's probably the best sounding cat back on an f150. hardly any freeway drone. check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80qxOFH6gds
Old Sun, April 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplummer87 View Post
See, thats what i was thinking, i mean, IMO, by the time it gets to the muffler, the muffler is probably just being used as a "silencer" i mean, its already gone through the restricted headers and the restricted cats right?

So unless i put some headers and highflow cats, the muffler is probably just sound....? Logical thinking or no? Please correct me if its not. Im here to learn
Any cat back on the market sounds good with the exception of a few. Going motor back be prepared to sink some $$$$. Stay away from galvanized tubing and no name cheap stuff. There is a few catalog ones also to look out for. I will not mention any mfg names that are ? Because maybe someone else loves their system they put in.

My best advice is put a cat back on and try the gryphon with its customs. Maybe you won't feel the need to do more.

Lars