Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, April 22nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Redbull Junkie

TA2Dsailor is on a distinguished road
Default Spark Plugs

What spark plugs do yall recommend? Also how much have you guys paid to get them done? I just called a Ford service place and they said $540 parts and labor. Or 206 without plugs. Last time i checked plugs were not 334 bucks. I'll break the plugs myself before I pay that.
Old Wed, April 22nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

That $ sounds high usually around $300-$400. Call around even if it's an hour drive away. But on the other hand is the carbon cleaning service being done also? You can do that part yourself just use sea foam or berrymans in the tank for a couple of fill ups.
Most are putting the stock kind back in and following the tsb to the letter. Some have tried aftermarket plugs and did have the best of luck. Brisk has the best aftermarket one out there but be aware a it's not a 100k plug like the stock ones. Stock plugs have the platinum tips and brisk doesn't. So brisk might be a 20-30k plug.

I just want to find 08.5 heads then I won't have to worry about it ever! Or as long as I own it.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.

Last edited by 88Racing; Thu, April 23rd, 2009 at 05:29 AM.
Old Wed, April 22nd, 2009, 11:48 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

If I remember correctly, stock Motorcraft plugs are like $12.00 to $14.00 each.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, April 23rd, 2009, 06:21 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
If I remember correctly, stock Motorcraft plugs are like $12.00 to $14.00 each.
So you take that amount $96-$112 for eight of them.

There's a post called "Spark plug change" 04fx4 quoted the price of $490.
I don't know what the job rate is or the service rate so it's kind of hard to add the rest up for you. I have read up to $720 for a change! That's with no breakage.

My best advice, call around and get prices.

Lars

Old Thu, April 23rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

04FX4 is on a distinguished road

If it was me doing this all over again, I would still go to the dealership, and have the motorcraft plugs installed. The dealership would probably be the best bet as they have done this a 1000 times. You can do it yourself as well but may not be worth the stress that may be involved...
Old Thu, April 23rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
American Muscle

dplummer87 is on a distinguished road

I heard the plugs on our trucks were a Pain...but are they really that bad I cant imagine paying $500 for it... ( never paid to change them on any of my vehicle but they were all older models cars)
Old Thu, April 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplummer87 View Post
I heard the plugs on our trucks were a Pain...but are they really that bad I cant imagine paying $500 for it... ( never paid to change them on any of my vehicle but they were all older models cars)
Have you looked at the TSB on changing the plugs? If not, here's a download: http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/jm...sb08-07-06.pdf It's a whole heck of a lot more than just attacking the engine with a deep well socket.

From what I can determine, it takes GREAT patience, and your truck is sitting in the shop (taking up space that can't be used for anything else) for a long time. Plus, just getting at the rear passenger side plug seems a bit of a "trick" (at least the engine doesn't have to be removed like a certain GM product about 40 years ago).

I DO wish Motorcraft would simply redesign the things to be one-piece, but I guess that's too simple.

I used to change my own plugs too, but these, I'll pass on. Oh, and to answer TA2Dsailor's question, I plan to stick with Motorcraft plugs too.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, April 23rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Let me take a guess what that gm car was.

Maybe a vette?

My dad used to help one of former employers with his.

Let's see if I remember how it went.

1. Get the hoist hooked up to the motor.

2. Loosen up header collector flanges.

3. While your are under there loosen the motor mounts.

4. Raise it up until tranny hit the top of tunnel. Approx 6".

Presto you had acces to the plugs.

The ones I don't like are the transverse mounted v6 engines. The firewall side bites.
Lars

Old Thu, April 23rd, 2009, 01:06 PM
American Muscle

dplummer87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Have you looked at the TSB on changing the plugs? If not, here's a download: http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/jm...sb08-07-06.pdf It's a whole heck of a lot more than just attacking the engine with a deep well socket.

- Jack
Holy HELL!
Old Thu, April 23rd, 2009, 01:49 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplummer87 View Post
Holy HELL!
Do you need to clean your pants out now or pick your jaw up off the floor or thankfully enough that you were sitting down?!

So is it worth that much?

Lars