Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, January 23rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I'm right there with ya! When I was in my 20's, Hooker Super Comps and Flowmasters on a 350 Small Block with a 280º Cam was the coolest thing since sliced bread. It didn't matter if I could hear the radio. Heck, half the time I didn't even have a radio!

Nowadays I'd much rather just be able to have a conversation while driving in my vehicle and getting 18-20 MPG. Man, I'm getting old.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, January 24th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Whopper

lumpyf150 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
I'm right there with ya! When I was in my 20's, Hooker Super Comps and Flowmasters on a 350 Small Block with a 280º Cam was the coolest thing since sliced bread. It didn't matter if I could hear the radio. Heck, half the time I didn't even have a radio!
Ah, the good ole days...
Old Sun, January 25th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Double Whopper

chappy is on a distinguished road

Which is the best I do not know.But I can say I have the K&N on mine and it has been good to me but it was on the truck when I bought it.Apperently it didn't give enough of an increase on fuel economy to the previous owner because he traded it in on a Chevy Cobalt .I don't know if I would run a K&N in real dusty conditions though.I have had issues with them on my Quad letting dirt through into the carbs even with a pre filter.
Old Mon, January 26th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Double Whopper

Mark_123 is on a distinguished road

Bill, I currently have the stock intake with drop in AEM filter. I don't want to do anything drastic to affect my custom tunes. I've read on some forums that the Gotts intake shouldn't be done on 2004+ models?? What's your opinion? Also, what about the Airaid Jr. Modular Intake Tube? Would the MIT cause enough difference in air flow to cause the need for re-calibration? The MIT is relatively inexpensive compared to the other CAI systems. It looks nice and clean too. Opinions anyone???

Here's something interesting too. I took the intake tube off, and sure enough the snorkel is only 2" wide into the fender. I also noticed 6 small holes drilled into the intake tube near the snorkel. Each Helmholtz resonator had a hole drilled in the bottom as well. I'm guessing this is to assist in airflow at WOT????? I bet this is where the occasional air intake whistle comes from when starting in cold weather. The holes would seem to defeat the purpose of bringing in cold air from the fender. Hmmmmm.......
Old Mon, January 26th, 2009, 11:33 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

We've been doing the "Gotts" mod on the 04+ since they came out and have had no adverse effects whatsoever. AFR is not significantly affected.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Tue, January 27th, 2009, 09:42 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_123 View Post
Here's something interesting too. I took the intake tube off, and sure enough the snorkel is only 2" wide into the fender. I also noticed 6 small holes drilled into the intake tube near the snorkel. Each Helmholtz resonator had a hole drilled in the bottom as well. I'm guessing this is to assist in airflow at WOT????? I bet this is where the occasional air intake whistle comes from when starting in cold weather. The holes would seem to defeat the purpose of bringing in cold air from the fender. Hmmmmm.......
Mark, I think the holes in the resonators act a bit like "shock absorbers" to dampen out the "springyness" of the air inside. It's possibly like the tuned port in a base reflex speaker enclosure.

As far as the 6 holes in the bottom of the intake, these don't make sense to me at all. We used to see a flapper door in the intake that would pull air off the exhaust manifold during cold weather to aid in cold weather starting and running, but it would close when the engine got warm. These things are always open though. You could be right about them allowing additional air in during WOT at high RPM, but it seems like an odd way to do it. Actually, the Bernoulli effect means that regardless of throttle position, air is ALWAYS being pulled in through these holes and mixed with the air coming from the fender well. Their position is not really over anything "hot" though. I wonder if they are part of the silencer system?

I've never heard the "intake whistle", but we don't get very cold here.

I'm tempted to tape over the holes with aluminum tape to see what happens.

- Jack
Old Tue, January 27th, 2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Mark, I think the holes in the resonators act a bit like "shock absorbers" to dampen out the "springyness" of the air inside. It's possibly like the tuned port in a base reflex speaker enclosure.

- Jack
I think you're spot-on there... Instead of amplifying the offending frequencies, it helps dampen them.

(678) 890-1110

Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Double Whopper

KIRT is on a distinguished road

I was wondering what kind of experiences Bill or any others have had with the volant cai?
Old Mon, February 9th, 2009, 01:16 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Okay for anyone looking to do an upgrade to their air intake try looking at tru-flo sealed system. It retains stock air box and gets rid of that plastic intake tube, then is replaced with a powder coated tube over to the fender. So you can use any stock filter replacement that you desire or the one it comes with. Just a thought for some of us out there whose parts bins are empty.
-Lars
Old Mon, February 9th, 2009, 06:25 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Okay for anyone looking to do an upgrade to their air intake try looking at tru-flo sealed system. It retains stock air box and gets rid of that plastic intake tube, then is replaced with a powder coated tube over to the fender. So you can use any stock filter replacement that you desire or the one it comes with. Just a thought for some of us out there whose parts bins are empty.
-Lars
And, Lars, it sounds like this does not alter the stock MAF sensor enclosure in any way? I'm puzzled now that it would make your engine run poorly.

- Jack