Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > 6.0L PSD FICM Reprogramming

6.0L PSD FICM Reprogramming Power Hungry Performance 6.0L FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) programming has been
the industry standard for in FICM modification almost 10 years.

If you have questions or would like more information about the benefits, please post here.

Old Mon, June 4th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Whopper

Fl Mach 1 is on a distinguished road
Default FICM progamming suggestions

Hey all,

It appears that my FICM may be on the way out so I am looking at having it repaired and programmed at the same time.

Right now I am looking for some guidance on what FICM program to choose. So here is a little background on the truck

Its is a 2003 f350 CC 4x4 LB that is used primarily for daily driving and for going on vacations. I tow with it occasionally but nothing north of 7500lbs.

Right now the truck is nearly stock, the only major mod is an EGR delete. It still has the stock headbolts, hence my looking for guidance since I really don't want to have to do studs right now. I have an Edge Insight CS with EGT and fuel pressure sensor to keep an eye on everything. I recently changed out the oil cooler, did the EGR delete and swapped over to ELC coolant.

In my research I also found that the current ECM calibration is not the most desirable, its VXAP2N2 and the TCM is TQAUON5, so I am also looking at doing an ECM rollback for the EGR delete. I was wondering if it would be worth it to also have the ECM tuned as well.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old Mon, June 4th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

yes and yes. The 03's ran like SOB's when they still had their factory programing. They got pretty good mpg aswell. I think you'd be very happy with a roll back and a FICM tune, or at least putting an economy FICM tune in the truck, vs the atlas 40 or A80.
00 F-350 7.3, 12 Speed, PHP Gryphon, PHP hydra, DAC3
95 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, Auto, Mechanics Truck
94 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, 5 speed, Flatbed
Old Wed, June 6th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Whopper

Jeremy,

I have a quick question. I noticed on the FICM tuning webpage that it says if you have a PHP Gryphon 6.0 programmer that you can tune the FICM and and the ECM. If I got a PHP Gryphon CS would I be able to tune the FICM and roll the ECM back? I would imagine that I would have to pay for the tunes but I would be interested in that since it would give me more flexibility for the future.

Thanks
Old Wed, June 6th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl Mach 1 View Post
Jeremy,

I have a quick question. I noticed on the FICM tuning webpage that it says if you have a PHP Gryphon 6.0 programmer that you can tune the FICM and and the ECM. If I got a PHP Gryphon CS would I be able to tune the FICM and roll the ECM back? I would imagine that I would have to pay for the tunes but I would be interested in that since it would give me more flexibility for the future.

Thanks
No sadly, PHP can't use the CS or CTS for rollbacks or FICM tuning, only the org. gryphons can do that.
Old Thu, June 7th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Whopper

I noticed in another thread that it was asked if a FICM programmer can be used for ECM rollbacks. It appeared to me that answer was yes.

So I could buy a FICM programmer with the 4 FICM tunes and also roll back my ECM with it. If that is the case then I would be highly, meaning I'll probably order one now, interested in getting one. That will also give me more flexibility with future mods.
Old Thu, June 7th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Yes that is correct. The Mono Chrome Gryphons when converted to FICM programmers can be used for rollback aswell.

The CS and CTS cant do either....
Old Thu, June 7th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Whopper

Jeremy,

Looks like I will be ordering one.

Thanks for all the info
Old Thu, June 14th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Whopper Junior

demott930 is on a distinguished road

I will receive my ficm programmer today. What do I have to do to get a ECM roll back. I will get new tunes doesn't matter. I have the same ECM strategy as you as well.
Old Thu, June 21st, 2012, 07:53 PM
Whopper

Well,

Got my FICM programmer on Tuesday and was able to hook it up to the truck yesterday and start playing around with it. I started with the Atlas 40 tune and will run it for a while and then put the Econ tune and compare the two.

Its only been a day and half but I am extremely happy. The MPG when using the lie-o-meter are up, when comparing them to the original tune. We are taking a trip on Saturday and heading from FL to east TN and back. I'll do some mileage calculations and let everyone know if there is any difference there. There is a huge difference in when driving the truck. More power, especially when leaving a stop light or pulling out into traffic.

Earlier this year I did a bunch of work on the truck, replaced the oil cooler, cleaned the turbo, EGR delete and replaced a busted Y pipe. That work, especially the Y pipe, made the truck pretty fun to drive but now it is really fun.

After we get back from vacation I am going to see about doing an ECM rollback and see what gains that may net me.

If you're on the fence about the FICM tuning I would say do it, it's worth every penny.
Old Sun, July 1st, 2012, 06:50 PM
Whopper

Got back in from out trip late last night and here are my impressions of the FICM with an Atlas 40 and unrolled back ECM.

We went from Orlando to the Knoxville, TN area (Sevierville) via I-75 and then had to make a run up to Dayton, OH and back on I-75 to visit my wife's grandfather who ended up in the hospital. On the way back to Orlando we went through the Smokey Mountain National Forest on US 441 all the way to I-85 in GA and then to I-285 around Atlanta and back down I-75 to the Florida Turnpike and home.

Probably about 80% highway driving with the speed varying between 70-75 mph. I hand calculated 18.52 mpg when we got back, the lie-O-meter was showing 20.6 mpg. The trip to TN is a pretty regular one for us, about 5 to 6 times a year and I usually get around 17 mpg with pretty much the same driving conditions so I did pick up some mileage which is great.

The big thing was the change in how the truck drives. Usually when passing in heavy traffic I would have to start to accelerate before changing lanes. Now I step on it and it goes. It makes driving the truck much easier. The turbo spools up a lot faster. If I had a studded motor I would definitely load the Atlas 80 or Hercules tune but since I have stock bolts I'll stick with the Economy or Atlas 40 tune.

Next I am going to get a hold of PHP about doing an ECM roll back.

We are going to upstate NY at the end of the month and I may load the Economy tune and see what I get for mileage change with that.