Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sat, November 3rd, 2012, 01:55 PM
Whopper

boto is on a distinguished road
Help charging battery

I discovered my truck (06 F-150 5.4 S cab XLT 4x4) has a dead battery and have hooked it up to my bat charger on 2A autocharge regular. The batt was so dead the key fob wouldn't unlock the door, neither would the pin code on the door. Had to use the key. Also, the headlamps will not turn off while I'm charging it. The Gryphon is VERY dimly flickering while on charge. Should I have disconnected the Gryphon before charging?
Old Sat, November 3rd, 2012, 05:55 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

It is usually recommended to disconnect the gryphon before doing anything to/with the electrical system. I would disconnect it and charge the battery, then drive the truck around with it disconnected to make sure the battery has a full charge, then once you are sure the battery is good reconnect the gryphon in the correct way. That should solve any flickering, unless the unit got fried... I hope not, and it shouldn't be, but it is possible.
Good luck
Old Sat, November 3rd, 2012, 08:31 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Disconnect the programmer asap.

Then let it keep charging.
Old Sun, November 4th, 2012, 08:31 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by boto View Post
I discovered my truck (06 F-150 5.4 S cab XLT 4x4) has a dead battery and have hooked it up to my bat charger on 2A autocharge regular. The batt was so dead the key fob wouldn't unlock the door, neither would the pin code on the door. Had to use the key. Also, the headlamps will not turn off while I'm charging it. The Gryphon is VERY dimly flickering while on charge. Should I have disconnected the Gryphon before charging?
Move your headlight switch from "Auto" (11:00 O'clock) to "Off" (straight up). If that doesn't turn the headlights off, I'd disconnect the negative battery cable. I don't think a 2 Amp charger can keep up with the draw from headlights. And yes, don't leave the Gryphon connected.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, November 4th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Whopper

boto is on a distinguished road
Default battery charge

Yep, I quickly turned off the charger, disconnected and had batt checked, then replaced with new Autolite batt. That corrected the headlight switch malfunction and then reattached Gryphon, all happy now.