Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sat, September 22nd, 2012, 08:51 AM
Whopper Junior

timberwolf980 is on a distinguished road
Default battery issue

hi guys wondering if someone could let tell me if this has happend to anyone eles i had my battery run dead due to wife leaving my keys in ignition and now my gryphon programmer is giving all the wrong reading. for my speed and rpm. tried to reset back to stock and go back to custom program and still not working would the battery issue do something to the programmer. any help would be greatly appriatated
Old Sat, September 22nd, 2012, 10:27 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf980 View Post
hi guys wondering if someone could let tell me if this has happend to anyone eles i had my battery run dead due to wife leaving my keys in ignition and now my gryphon programmer is giving all the wrong reading. for my speed and rpm. tried to reset back to stock and go back to custom program and still not working would the battery issue do something to the programmer. any help would be greatly appriatated
Low or high voltage can damage any electronic device, but you said you tried programming the truck back to stock. Did that complete without error? If so, the programmer is not faulty and has booted properly. I suspect you simply do not have correct values for the Tire Size (TS) and/or Gear Ratio (GR). Re-initiate a custom program sequence, but this time, go to the Custom Options menu and if it's a monochrome Gryphon, go immediately to "Load Previous Settings" as the FIRST step. Then, check both the TS and GR. They should be what you had before (the TS could be "slightly" different). If they are not right, correct them, then complete the programming cycle.

If the unit did not program back to stock properly, it probably did not boot correctly when you fixed the battery problem. If this is a monochrome Gryphon, unplug it from the OBD port and leave it unplugged for about a minute. Then, turn the ignition in the truck ON (don't start the engine) and leaving it on, plug the programmer back in. It should show your hex code as it boots up. After that, things should be back to normal.

To reboot a CS or CTS, just unplug it, wait a minute and plug it back in. The ignition can be either on or off.

Let us know what happens.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, September 22nd, 2012, 02:24 PM
Whopper Junior

no even when i convert back to stock the gryphons reading for the speed is still off. I also tried what you said to do and still not working properly.
Old Sat, September 22nd, 2012, 05:01 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

OK, there are only two things that effect the speed: TS and GR. If these two settings are correct, when you load a program, I can't figure out anything else to suggest.

When you say the RPM has also been effected, how? Is it low or high? (Same question for speed too.) And, how do you know the RPM and speed readings are wrong? What are you comparing them to?

Possibly, a firmware file has gotten corrupted.

If this is a monochrome Gryphon, set your truck back to stock and connect the Gryphon to Pegasus. Click on [Updates]->[Gryphon Update Manager]. This should restore all files to the original state, and will replace your custom tunes with canned tunes. Then, to restore your custom tunes, reconnect and click on [Updates]->[Custom File Download (Internet)].

But, if it's a CS/CTS, you can TRY connecting to Fusion to do the same thing, but that will also replace your custom tunes with the canned ones. Bill will then have to reload your custom tunes on the Fusion server before you can get them back. I'd talk to him before trying the Fusion approach.

- Jack
Old Sun, September 23rd, 2012, 03:15 PM
Whopper Junior

well lets see i tried to updated the firmware and now the gryphon is not working at all going to have to call monday and hopefully get it fixed. the question about the rpm was i was accelorating steady and rpm on gryphon would shoot up then come back to normal.
Old Sun, September 23rd, 2012, 07:08 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf980 View Post
well lets see i tried to updated the firmware and now the gryphon is not working at all going to have to call monday and hopefully get it fixed. the question about the rpm was i was accelorating steady and rpm on gryphon would shoot up then come back to normal.
The erratic display (which is not what I thought you were describing) is often caused by faulty connections at the OBDII port. Could be loose connectors or even wiring loose at the back of the port itself.

But, if the display is now blank, it could be one of these:
Check the cable connections.

Check the cigarette lighter fuse. This same fuse powers both the lighter and the OBDII power supply.

It could be the wires going into the OBD port itself, they can be loose inside the OBD port and reaching behind the plug and wiggling the wire might make the Gryphon turn on and off. If this is the case, use an electrical connector "spoon" to pull the bad wire out, spread the little tab on the wire end and put it back in. A somewhat "cruder" fix is to use part of a tooth pick and push an end of it into the back side of the port on the hole with the loose wire, this tightens up the connection and all is good again. Not an elegant repair, but it works.
Notice the wiring to the OBD port can be the problem here too.

You MAY need Bill's help to fix your problem, but he's hard to get hold of sometimes. Until you do, check the cigarette lighter, if it works, it's not a fuse problem.

- Jack