Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Mon, November 23rd, 2009, 05:44 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
THINK before YOU change YOUR VEHICLE'S OIL Next Time!

Just ran across this over@ f150online.
"Also while running OASIS today on an 04 4.6 2v with a complaint of a startup rattle I ran across the latest SSM from FORD.21049 1997-2010 MULTIPLE VEHICLE - 4.6L/5.4L - ENGINE TICKING AND/OR RATTLE NOISE MULTIPLE VEHICLE LINES WITH 4.6L OR 5.4L ENGINE MAY EXPERIENCE AN ENGINE TICKING OR RATTLE NOISE THAT SOUNDS LIKE A STUCK TAPPET (HLA). THIS MAY BE DUE TO THE DETERIORATION OF AN AFTERMARKET OIL FILTER. VEHICLES WITH THIS CONDITION HAVE LOW OIL PRESSURE AT ONE CYLINDER HEAD ONLY, WHILE MAIN PRESSURES ARE NORMAL. DISLODGED MATERIAL FROM THE AFTERMARKET OIL FILTER BLOCKS THE CAM CAP OIL PASSAGE, EITHER AT CYLINDER #4 (RIGHT BANK REAR) OR CYLINDER #5 (LEFT BANK FRONT). FOR VCT EQUIPPED ENGINES, INSPECT THE VCT VALVE BODY AND THE OIL PASSAGES UNDER THE FIRST CAM CAP. DAMAGE TO ENGINES CAUSED BY AFTERMARKET OIL FILTERS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.EFFECTIVE DATE: 10/22/2009"
FYI

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, November 23rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Here's the link:
http://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-...il-filter.html
Quote is from the 4th page

Old Tue, November 24th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

ChuckD will become famous soon enough

I wouldnt hold that to light. It would be just like us saying we wouldnt warranty something in the engine since they used a Fleetguard filter instead of a Cat filter. Don't think they can stand behind that.
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown
Old Tue, November 24th, 2009, 05:55 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

I would carefully consider my options due to the fact that I know of 2 warranty claims that were denied on damaged motors due to the wrong oil weight being used. Those people even went to court and lost their cases.

Old Tue, November 24th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

Oil weight is one thing, brand is a different story. Say if company A said you had to use their oil and filters for warranty to be valid they they would either have to supply you with the parts to do the work or do the work themselves. I use MC FL 1995 filters because I can get them readily easy and cheap. I use Mobil Delvac 1300 Super because its what we used in our class 8 truck with good results. I change my oil every 5,000 miles or 6 months. I got roughly 4,000 miles on this change and you can pull the dipstick and still read the markings through the oil. I am in the process of hooking up a 92 gallon tank and will delete my fuel bowl and run a twin filter/water separator set up. The stock fuel filter is rated at 7 microns and my dual set up is a 10-2. I will also end up doing a bypass filter for the oil down to 2 micron.
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown
Old Tue, November 24th, 2009, 06:51 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Lars, that's a great post!

I seem to remember Bill posting something about this a few months back. Same scenario - part of the oil filter came loose and clogged an oil passage.

I know it sounds like Ford wants you to be a slave to their service departments, but maybe, just maybe, there's a reason for it?

I ALWAYS used to change my own oil. I stopped doing it when it got to be a big hassle getting rid of the old stuff. I DO acknowledge though, that Ford charges quite a lot for this fairly simple service. At least my dealership does.

Chuck, I hear you, but I bet Ford would win if they claimed any aftermarket (non-Motorcraft) filter damaged your engine.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, November 24th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

There is a difference in claim and proof. They would first have to prove that the filter caused the malfunction then most of the filter manufactures will also chime in because they warranty their filters and they will spend more to defend their filter than what the actual cost of repair would be. Also according to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act in the middle of a warraty period they cannot change the terms of the warranty. Therefor all vehicles under warranty before the change came about will have to be honored.

The Act prohibits anyone who offers a written warranty from disclaiming or modifying implied warranties. This means that no matter how broad or narrow your written warranty is, your customers always will receive the basic protection of the implied warranty of merchantability.

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

If you ran a Purolator filter in your truck would they deny warranty? even though Purolator makes the MC filter. Its like when Ford wouldnt do anything about the 3.4 SHO engine when they were failing due to the cam sprocket spinning. There is still a big lawsuit over that. With approx. 20,000 cars made and approx. 1150 confirmed cam failures. That is 5.75% and counting.
2004 Explorer Limited
Old Tue, November 24th, 2009, 10:52 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Well the way I look at it is like this.
Have a spare MOCO filter on hand and if the motor ever starts misbehaving then swap filters and bring it in.
No different then removing the gryphon before getting the truck serviced either.
I know I use Xbrand filters too and not the MOCO's.

Don't worry harley is trying to pull the same $h!t tooooo!!!!!!

I just posted this as a warning for people owning the 4.6/5.4 VCT motors or modulars.

Old Tue, November 24th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

I am not sure if all auto manufactures do it, but Harley has that service plan for something like $1300 or 2 years unlimited milage. The 5 and 10k services on them are a nice penny so if you are a die hard rider thats a good deal. For me I didnt get it cause I dont ride that much, 3330 miles in 2 years. Some of the foreign makes do offer free maintanence, but who wants a BMW for free services .
2004 Explorer Limited
Old Mon, November 30th, 2009, 11:04 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
I am not sure if all auto manufactures do it, but Harley has that service plan for something like $1300 or 2 years unlimited milage. The 5 and 10k services on them are a nice penny so if you are a die hard rider thats a good deal. For me I didnt get it cause I dont ride that much, 3330 miles in 2 years. Some of the foreign makes do offer free maintanence, but who wants a BMW for free services .
There's a new one in the Harley manuals for the 10's.
Warning not to mix oils.
Go figure that one out?
1. Is that Dino with Syn?
2. Auto with Vtwin?
3. Gear with Vtwin?
Aw who knows just more smoke to get us crawling back to the MOCO dealers!
Lol's

Closed Thread