Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Thu, June 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Sex alleviates tension

average-joe is on a distinguished road
Default Leer Caps

See Post #6 for the original User Report on Leer Caps.

Average-joe, I combined your new post on this with the original one. Hope you don't mind.

- Jack

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.

Last edited by Jackpine; Sat, June 27th, 2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Combined threads.
Old Thu, June 18th, 2009, 07:27 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I DO hope you get a good resolution on this. Since this is the "Conversation Pit", where no subject is "off limits" and, you've presented what seem like verifiable faults in the product, I think it's a reasonable place to post your displeasure.

Possibly, Corey or Bill, we need a "Cheers and Jeers" section like f150Online has for things like this?

But, back to your post, average-joe: I had a Toyota Pickup once upon a time (when I first met Janet), and I quickly determined I needed a bed cap, since she was into camping and going into the back country places that my previous wife couldn't stand, but where I loved to go.

So, I ordered a cap, for my white truck and it was a Leer. The cap fit fine, but the color match was horrible, even though the paint supposedly matched the vehicle's paint code. Well, the dealer agreed with me and we sent the cap back, along with my truck's gas tank filler cover for a "paint match". Two weeks later, the cap is back. It was better, but still not exact. I decided to live with it.

When I sold the truck, the paint on the cap was "flaking" off. I felt pretty bad about including the cap in the value of the truck, but I did.

I bought a used truck that already had an A.R.E. cap to replace it and that cap matched and fit perfectly! When I sold it (when I bought my Ford), the cap looked just like new. The truck was a silver Nissan Frontier.

I bought an A.R.E. cap for my Ford - It's a perfect paint match, fits great and has the features I want. It's two years old now, and it still looks as good as the day I got it.

So, there ARE good caps out there, and I personally don't think you should have to pay for one that is not satisfactory.

(Oops, sorry I didn't "quote" your post - I thought it was fairly presented. Now, I want to know, "Why did you change your mind?") And, I'll leave my post in place.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer

Last edited by Jackpine; Thu, June 18th, 2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Average-joe removed his post!
Old Thu, June 18th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Sex alleviates tension

I changed my mind on the post, i felt like i was moaning to much

Old Thu, June 18th, 2009, 09:02 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by average-joe View Post
I changed my mind on the post, i felt like i was moaning to much
No, I didn't think you were at all. You presented clear reasons why you felt the cap was not up to "standard" and it didn't seem like moaning at all. You have a right to expect value for $1500!

In my opinion, as a moderator, you are free to post the problems you have with this cap on here again, if you choose. You seemed to post the original one without "bashing". You were simply pointing out the problems. I see nothing at all wrong with presenting "facts", that might help other members in their choices.

- Jack
Old Thu, June 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

If there is something wrong with a product we the members would like to know.
Not that it will sway our opinion one way or another but we can use it as a "look out tool" if we ever purchase one.
You can post about it in this area all you want.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, June 27th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Sex alleviates tension

Default LEER Caps

I ordered a Leer Cap for a 08 F150 8foot bed with built in roof racks.....simple enough order.
After 3 weeks the cap was ready tobe fitted
The dealer brings my truck around with the new cap,looks good until i take a closer look.It fits front and rear but bows out in the middle so bad that i can slide my fingers in the gap, the dealer agrees it's a bad fit and orders a new cap.
Two weeks pass, no news and the dealer knows nothing.
I write to Leer two times via e-mail to the address of the Leer webpage....no reply.
Leer DOES NOT HAVE A CUSTOMER SERVICE department or phone number, but i got hold of a Leer phone number (PA branch) I call and ask what's going on with my replacement cap.The Leer service/rep was more interested in where i got there phone number from!I asked for someone to call me back , nobody ever did.(i called and left messages 4 times)
Yesterday the new cap was fitted and it was just as bad as the first but with the added insult the other cap has damaged the paint in two places.Dealer took pictures to send to Leer claims department.( i think this is going to be a up hill battle)
Dealer calls Leer and tells them about the poor fit(2nd cap),Leer offers me $300 to keep the cap!I want a fitted cap or my money back nothing else will do.
The dealer now has Leer's full attention at last!!
Leer is getting a F150 with a 8 foot bed to make a cap that fits that truck with no gaps,replacement caps 3-4 weeks with a promise that this will fit perfect ,3rd times a charm???

I am convinced Leer is going to all the effort to keep me happy because ive been a pain in there arse and i wont let up until i get what i payed for.

I cannot recommend Leer products for the simple reason they have no customer service for the general public and if you have a problem with a product they throw money at the problem instead of fixing the product right in the first place.

END OF MINI RANT

Old Sat, June 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Baconator

BlackSTX is on a distinguished road

Your frustration seems to be justified. You paid for a product with expectations that it would fit properly and be free of defects; on two occasions that was not the case.
Some people would probably be happy with the money off the price, but if you have certain needs and expectations of that product, it seems like most companies would be concerned if they weren't matched.... after all, you won't purchase their product again, and would be likely to tell others of your issues discouraging others from buying their products too.

On the other hand, your persistence may pay off, since the company says they will correct the problem. Hopefully they are good on their promise.

Current mods: AEM Bruteforce CAI, Magnaflow SI/DO, Gryphon-87 & 93 tunes, Harley head lamps, tinted windows, lower grille filler, and FX2 lower valance.
Old Sat, June 27th, 2009, 10:38 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

If the third time is not the charm. Go get your dough back.
Find another cap mfgr.

Lars

Old Mon, June 29th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Whopper

Alaska_Bound is on a distinguished road

I'll add my 2 cents to this one.

I paid close to $2500 for an optioned out 100lx Wilderness package from Leer. The fit was (is) terrible, you can stick two fingers in the gap on the back of the cap. I bought this about 2 weeks before we moved to Alaska so I'm talking to the dealer up here about the problems.

I also have two gaskets that have problems. The one on the tip-out window was never glued down properly (flops around) and the sliding window gasket is hanging down between the bed and the cab. Overall workmanship is substandard, the interior "carpet" covering is kind of patched together, and the paint is a "close" match.

If I had to do this over again, I'd definately find another manufacturer.....so much for brand recognition and quality.

Mods:
4" Straigh pipe exhaust with 5" Magnaflow tip
K&N Intake
4" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift with 35" tires on Mickey Thompson Classics
Phoenix 6 position installed by "da man" himself
Old Mon, June 29th, 2009, 08:49 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

After hearing all this I'll have to give my buddy some greif.
He's a Leer dealer!
He manages Radco.
I want to see what he has to say?

Lars

Closed Thread