Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Sat, November 29th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Whopper

munro300 is on a distinguished road
Default EVO to Gryphon?

Ok, I talked to Corey through e-mail and had another question on how do I buy or swap my gryphon and pay for it and stuff? Do I have to fill out the form on the web site? Im Canadian and really want the metric option.
Old Sat, November 29th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

To upgrade, it's pretty simple. All you need to do is fill out the custom order form on our website and print it out. Then send it to us with your programmer (no cables or anything). We'll change the case to our black one (custom made by the same company that made your Evo case) and update the firmware. Custom tunes vary from 4-8 weeks, depending on the number of customers ahead of you. We can give you a rough estimate at the time you place your order.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019

Last edited by Corey Cohron RIP; Sat, December 20th, 2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old Thu, December 11th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Big J

jasfaa is on a distinguished road

Is there a difference between the Edge and the PHP product? The casings are identical on my truck and I would like to know the relationship.
Old Thu, December 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasfaa View Post
Is there a difference between the Edge and the PHP product? The casings are identical on my truck and I would like to know the relationship.
Ah - Isn't the case on your Gryphon black? The Edge has a 2-tone, silver grey/black case as I recall and the name Edge is visible on the front. Since Edge really manufactured the hardware, their name still appears on the back (at least it does on my unit) but it's definitely a Gryphon - the splash screen tells me so!

The real answer is that Bill "rebrands" the Edge as a Gryphon so he can custom tune it. Edge can't allow custom tunes without being in trouble with the government. It's the same hardware though, a microprocessor design Bill had a major part in developing when he worked for Edge.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, December 11th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Big J

jasfaa is on a distinguished road

So it is basically an Edge unit rebranded. thanks. I have a Gryphon and it does not have any Edge markings on it. I hope it is better than the Edge product because I have heard bad things about the Edge product in the past.
Old Thu, December 11th, 2008, 10:29 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

We no longer have the Edge logo stamped in the back as Edge has molded us our own cases now.

In the past (meaning the older hardware platform) there were a few issues. Most of those had been ironed out over a few revisions, but then Edge ran into a supply issue with the processors and had to change over to a new brand. This change required a redesign of the board and a major firmware changeover. This introduced a whole new set of problems which took some time to get straightened out. As of 12/6/2008, the firmware has proven to be extremely reliable.

There have also been a few calibration issues over the last few years but most of those have been ironed out and the current canned tunes (both ours and Edge's) work quite well.

Hope this helps ease your mind.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, December 12th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Double Whopper

Extreme Justice will become famous soon enough

I'm on my 3rd replaced Edge Evo Now. Bought the first one in April 2007, had issues with it not turning on all the time when the truck started, especially when it was cold and had to unplug it each time to get it to work. Called Edge, shipped my Evo back and they replaced it with a new one. Well this new one wouldn't even turn on at all, absolutely nothing. Called Edge again and they tried over the phone to get it to turn on but still nothing. So what they did was ship another one out expedited (got in 2 days to Canada), along with a Postage Paid package to send back the other one they just sent. This 3rd one I'm glad to say is working like a charm. No issues whatso ever. And now I'm in line waiting for the Gryphon Upgrade and Custome tunes.

All in All, I can honestly say Edge Products were fantastic with customer service. Easily to get hold of, and had no problems standing behind their product by sending out 3 different Evolutions. And I didn't have to scream and yell at all.

Bill
Old Sun, December 14th, 2008, 10:35 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I'm glad Edge is taking care of you and that the latest unit is working well. They are usually pretty good but there have been a few reports of difficulty getting through to tech support.

Now we just need to get your tunes finished up.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, December 14th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Double Whopper

Extreme Justice will become famous soon enough

Bill,
Luckly it's -33C (0F) here and snow right now, which makes waiting for the tunes a little easier than if it was warm and sunny.
Old Mon, December 15th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Double Whopper

chappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Justice View Post
Bill,
Luckly it's -33C (0F) here and snow right now, which makes waiting for the tunes a little easier than if it was warm and sunny.
there worth the wait.