Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Whopper

ballisticmike is on a distinguished road
Default selected questions from new member..

Hey all, great forum. I have several questions. If this is too many just ignore. I have spent some time reading FAQ's etc on this website. I have a used evo i bought on ebay from a reputable seller, along with all the cables, manual, housing etc. I have never installed it into my truck yet. Its labelled eeF2400, ver. 7, Manufactured 8/1/2007.
My truck- Feb.2008 F150 Lariat Supercrew 5.4, 4x4, S&B CAI, Magnaflow catback SIDO, engine fan replaced with electric fan (1 MPG improvement).

1. is it just as good to upgrade this evo to a gryphon, or is it best if i just sell this evo and buy a new gryphon ie - any shortcomings to upgrading this? cheaper?
2. I am also interested in 2 or 3 custom tunes. Cant you load the custom tunes onto the gryphon *before* you ship it out? why do i need to download them after i receive the gryphon in the mail? (save me the trouble please).
3. do i send the hexcode with the evo now or ... what? how do i obtain the hex?
4. does it matter if my truck has been reflashed? i'm not sure if it has but can find out. There is a deadspot (2-3 second lag) in my tranny at 28mph, there is a dealer TSB to fix (reflash i think). Does it matter if i get this done at dealer.. or should I in fact NOT get it done and wait to see if the gryphon takes care of it. I ask because reading these forums it sounds like there are some kind of issues related to dealer reflashes.
5. my truck is E85 (yellow gascap) is this important to the discussion?
6. overall, how stable and reliable are these gryphons? i seem to read alot of highly satisfied customers on this website, but also a certain percentage of issues... some related to 2008 F150 models, some to do with reflash/dealer issues, and some other assorted performance issues (which also seem to always be resolved by PHP i note). Is it fair to say the gryphon has been constantly refined and improved to a point where its highly reliable now?

regards,
Mike
Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 05:49 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

1. Send it in to get upgraded.
2. The tunes will be on the gryphon when you get it back.
3. Follow Jacks faq to get hex code.
4. NO
5. Bill will need to know and also if you want an e85 tune.
6. Very reliable.

Thanx
Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
1. Send it in to get upgraded. - great
2. The tunes will be on the gryphon when you get it back. - exellent
3. Follow Jacks faq to get hex code. - will do
4. NO - hmm, seems to be alot of discussion on this point? That simple really?
5. Bill will need to know and also if you want an e85 tune. - ok
6. Very reliable. - good

Thanx
Lars
is it this cut and dried? awsum
Old Wed, October 14th, 2009, 08:06 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry I was a little short with the answers last night. Here's a link to get serial and hex code:http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...ead.php?t=1389

First of all make sure the edge has the latest firmware before hooking it up to your truck. Goto edges website and follow instructions.
The upgraded version you will get back from PHP will be in a black case instead of grey, have php firmware on it and your custom tunes.
As far as point #4 I don't know a thing about the TSB for a throttle dead spot. If you do need a reflash do it before you order and send anything in. Each reflash will possibly give your truck a new hex code. But if in any case if a reflash is needed after you get the custom tunes it can be done but then the tunes need to be recalibrated to the new hex. Sometimes reflashing the trucks pcm can make the problem worse before it makes it better.

Hope this helps

Lars

Old Wed, October 14th, 2009, 10:20 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

ballisticmike, Lars really did pretty much cover everything.

I'll add that if there IS a TSB out regarding a reflash, if it were me, I'd have it done right now. Then, use the Edge to check your HEX code. The tunes will be built for the program that's in the PCM AFTER the flash this way.

While Lars is correct that sometimes a dealer reflash causes other problems, I suspect by now they would have corrected any new problems that occur.

You DO want to tell Bill that the truck is E85 capable, and you need to tell Bill if you plan to use that stuff.

And finally, unless you can get a fantastic price by selling your Edge, it's probably cheaper to just have it converted. I have one of the "early" conversions, and mine has never given me a bit of trouble (but it has made my truck a whole lot better and more economical to drive)!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, October 15th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Whopper

thanks very much gentlemen I'm hoping to get my truck ready for the upcoming snowboarding season, and getting setup with custom tunes is a top priority
Old Thu, October 15th, 2009, 01:24 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Mike,

Give us a shout before you send the unit in. If you'd like, PM me your number and we'll give you a shout. This way we can answer any questions you've got.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, October 20th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Whopper

i had the dealer reflash my truck a few days ago, and it fixed the "transmission flare" as the TSB calls it. The mechanic apparently reflashed then had to drive the vehicle to complete the calibration..

Anyway, today i pulled the hexcode and emailed my order/profile in to PHP

Im lookin forward to better acceleration and more power, but REALLY lookin forward to improved shifting.
Old Tue, October 20th, 2009, 08:27 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Good - You've done it the right way! I think you're going to be happy with the outcome.

- Jack
Old Tue, October 20th, 2009, 10:17 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Congrats on doing the upgrade!

Lars