Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sun, October 3rd, 2010, 12:07 PM
Bacon King

cajunboy2208 is on a distinguished road
Default Trottle Delay

There is a good 1/2-3/4 second delay in my throttle response.
Drove my friends 07 4.6 yesterday and noticed that you just barely touch his throttle and his goes. Mine, you gotta wait a little bit. Even when flooring it.
Thought all of the trucks were like that, but apparently not.
Anything I can do to make the delay go away.
Anything that I can edit on the gryphon either?
Old Sun, October 3rd, 2010, 07:20 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Bill is the only one that would be able to adjust the throttle delay. Also, sometimes if you somewhat ease into the higher throttle rather than go from cruise to floor you will get better results. I dont mean a regular acceleration but if you give a bit more time to adjust you might get an overall quicker response.

I know I've gotten my best 1/4 mile times by not planting the pedal on the floor from 0-90. Instead keep the throttle heavy but know when it needs to let off, like for shifting. Even then I still ease into the throttle positions.
Old Sun, October 3rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
Bill is the only one that would be able to adjust the throttle delay. Also, sometimes if you somewhat ease into the higher throttle rather than go from cruise to floor you will get better results. I dont mean a regular acceleration but if you give a bit more time to adjust you might get an overall quicker response.

I know I've gotten my best 1/4 mile times by not planting the pedal on the floor from 0-90. Instead keep the throttle heavy but know when it needs to let off, like for shifting. Even then I still ease into the throttle positions.
Wait, you can't mean use - "judgment" and "intelligence" can you? Gosh, you might even have to understand what you're doing here!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, October 3rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
Forum Predator

Intelligence? Judgment? Understanding?!? What are these traits you speak of Jack? Lets play a little game for the true answer. What's another name for an educated guess? Give ya a hint, my screen name minus 270. That is what it is. Ex. It was originally a ________ that has been working out since.

Unfortunately, I did my yearly quarter mile times tonight and I was "off" so planting it did have better results. First time to have the tires squealing on a dry start though. Maybe that is why my 1/4 mile was .2 sec behind what I expected since the first few runs with the larger tires. 16.7s with horrible reaction times(but I'm not sure if that counts on the overall time for the gryphon). I probably would have gotten closer to my goal if the tires had stuck and if I was on a smoother road though.

Cajun, dont worry, I'm sure 'ol Jack is picking on me. I went out knowing I haven't been having a good week coordination wise. Without being carefull I did have some lag. What year is your truck and are you running stock, Bill's custom tunes or stock gryphon tunes? Also if you are using a tune you "edited", did you advance the timing and stuff? If so, to what "comparative" values? I remember a little while back you were asking about timing advancement, shift points and such. I want to see if or how it MAY be involved.
Old Sun, October 3rd, 2010, 11:31 PM
Bacon King

04 f150 5.4 triton
CAI, and catback exhaust, with a 87 custom tuned gryphon
But since the 87 custom tune is not faster than the 93 canned tune, I am in the process of editing the 87 custom to my standards.
Right now I only advanced timing to 1.5, of course using 93 gas.
Tomorrow I will be advancing it to 2 and maybe mess with the spark

One question, if I am editing the custom tune, the other values of the custom tune will be the same correct?
I m asking this because when I have the 87 custom tune loaded, it idles at around 600-650.
But when I edit the custom tune, it is not at 500 idle
Old Mon, October 4th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Forum Predator

Spark and timing advancement is the same thing. It is also something you need to pay attention to when you are making adjustments.

You could transfer settings but I personally wouldn't. You can't know for sure where Bill has your timing and stuff set. Instead, do what 88racing and I do. We have hard copies of changes we make that are on paper. When we make changes we can go through the list and know we didn't miss anything. These changes only apply to that tune though, a different tune will probably have different settings. Then you drive and tweak the tune (writing down your changes AS you make them) and when you are happy with it you have the hardcopy you can go back to.

As for the idle I'm not sure how you can fix it. Does the same for me and I've never been able to fix it even with the idle adjustment setting. I think that only makes the idle higher for underdrive pulley kits.
Old Mon, October 4th, 2010, 01:33 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Ah, Longshot, I would have chosen "W.A.G.", which is not exactly "educated", but it's generally the same thing (and usually with the same results).

You can include me in the camp of "writing" the settings down. I have an "insert" that sits in my Gryphon and now CTS manuals that shows what the "tuned" settings were (for those that apply) and what I have to set the TS and GR to if I muck with the Custom Options. And then finally, I also write down anything else I've changed, like the part throttle shift points and the torque converter lock/unlock points.

I bet the "reaction time IS included in the overall time. It would be easy to check though - just wait 5 sec from the time you get a green and then do the run.

Cajunboy - I'm not understanding something. Are you trying to get an idle of 500? That really sounds too low to me. I think the 600-650 is about ideal.

- Jack
Old Tue, October 5th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Bacon King

No, my idle IS around 500. and I was trying to get to 600-650.
On the normal custom tune it was around 650
When I edited the custom tune. even tho I didn't mess with the idle, it dropped to 500. Which leads me to believe that if I am editing a tune, then it is like a blank slate, and I sure as hell hope that isn't true becuase of my CAI.
Anyways, I edited the idle last night to +40 and it ranges from 600-650 now.
Old Tue, October 5th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Forum Predator

The fueling for the CAI will stay the same.

The idle has always been a funky setting for me.
Old Tue, October 5th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Bacon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
The fueling for the CAI will stay the same.

The idle has always been a funky setting for me.
Good to know, I think the last thing I need to adjust is the shift firmness. I gotta do some research on that. I get too much of a jerk from 1-2