Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, December 31st, 2008, 09:20 AM
Double Whopper

Dfishrmn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Jack, you're doing fine.

Where we run into a problem with heavy towing (2500+) on a performance tune has more to do with cylinder temps being slightly higher because of the slight modifications to the fuel curve. I wouldn't necessarily say it does any "damage" to pull in a performance program, it's just not the ideal situation.

High performance applications are leaned out slightly to achieve good top-end power. Tow tunes run a little richer for improved low-RPM torque and lower cylinder temps under sustained heavy loads.

Of course, there are shift changes and timing changes but that has a lot less to do with it than you'd think.

Anyway, as you've already guessed, 2000 to 2500 lbs is about the limit for a performance program before I'd switch to towing.

Hope that clears it up a little.
Does this pertain to loads in the bed of the truck? I infrequently load the truck 1500-1800# for short trips (25-50 mi) Is this safe in the 87 Performance tune or should I switch to Tow.
Old Wed, December 31st, 2008, 10:31 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfishrmn View Post
Does this pertain to loads in the bed of the truck? I infrequently load the truck 1500-1800# for short trips (25-50 mi) Is this safe in the 87 Performance tune or should I switch to Tow.
Using 2000# as a "breakpoint", as Bill suggests, you could leave the tune alone. The 1500-1800# in the bed is going to be harder on your suspension than it is on the engine or transmission, so I'd try to keep the speed down with that much weight aboard. In fact, I think that much weight is a bit over the GVW or axle rating for your truck. When towing, you only add the tongue weight (usually 300-500#) to the GVW and axle loads.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, December 31st, 2008, 07:14 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

1800 pounds in the bed is pretty steep for an F150. I wouldn't really be worried about how well the engine would handle it, but more how the axles would handle it. That rough!

In case, the weight limit is how much you're pulling. Whether in the bed or behind it is of little consequence. You should be fine in the 87 program.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!