Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

04FX4 is on a distinguished road
Default Gryphon problem.

I have noticed when driving real slow under 30 k my truck will hunt. It goes from 800rpm -1300rpm constantly and will not stop unless I let up on the gas pedal. Any thoughts? I also was wondering how much more HP a 2006 F150 has then my 04. The reason I ask is I know a guy who has the same truck as mine 2 years newer and no mods, and we have tried to see who's truck is faster. We start off the line about the same and eventually he pulls away from me, I would have thought I would have had the upper hand. He is running 87 fuel no nothing just stock. My truck has only 35000k his 58000 both are FX4 Screw same engine same everything, even same color,I cant figure this out.
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 06:16 PM
AAA Rib Steak

Chris74 is on a distinguished road

I can't give you a proper technical answer for why your tranny is hunting at that speed..........odd
I'm sure Jack or Bill will figure that out for you but you may have to give more detail as to exactly what's happening.

As far as 04 vs. 06..........same horsepower and torque. Here's an important question for you though. Is your truck Canadian or American?......and what size are your wheels?
If your truck is Can. and you have 20" wheels........you automatically get a 3.55 gear ratio with 20" wheels!
If he only has 18" wheels.....then he would have a 3.73 gear ratio........and Yes - if you raced he would cover you with ease!

If this isn't the case......I have no explanation other than variation from truck to truck. But if both have 18" wheels and 3.73's and you are tuned and he isn't........something is really friggen wrong!
Custom tunes
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 06:21 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04FX4 View Post
I have noticed when driving real slow under 30 k my truck will hunt. It goes from 800rpm -1300rpm constantly and will not stop unless I let up on the gas pedal. Any thoughts? I also was wondering how much more HP a 2006 F150 has then my 04. The reason I ask is I know a guy who has the same truck as mine 2 years newer and no mods, and we have tried to see who's truck is faster. We start off the line about the same and eventually he pulls away from me, I would have thought I would have had the upper hand. He is running 87 fuel no nothing just stock. My truck has only 35000k his 58000 both are FX4 Screw same engine same everything, even same color,I cant figure this out.
The "hunting" problem sounds like something Bill might be able to fix. I've never experienced it in my 2005. It kind of sounds like a TC lock/unlock problem.

I imagine there were a FEW changes between 2004 and 2006 that might account for better performance from the later vehicle. Regardless, I bet if you put two identical trucks from the same year together and raced them, I think one of them(the same one) would always win. Manufacturing simply cannot produce true "clones". One is always going to be slightly better (or worse) than the other.

Oops! Chris - you snuck in on me and brought up a point I'd totally ignored! 04FX4's truck is TUNED! Yuk! Now the question is, what is the tune? It may not be set up for the race conditions described. And, yes, I would not have thought the '06s were improved that much over the 04's. But maybe.... 04FX4, have you looked at the HP Torque specs on these beasts from the two model years?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer

Last edited by Jackpine; Wed, January 28th, 2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Chris woke me up!
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM

We both have 3:73 gears and he actualy has bigger tires then I do as well. The only mod he had done was install the larger tires and front leveling kit. Should I wait for Bill to post or should I call him? Thanks
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 06:38 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
We both have 3:73 gears and he actualy has bigger tires then I do as well. The only mod he had done was install the larger tires and front leveling kit. Should I wait for Bill to post or should I call him? Thanks
I think, and I can be dead wrong on this, that the larger tires are giving him the upper hand at high speeds. Assuming you both reach the same high end RPM, his tires are covering more ground with each revolution. And, he may not be hitting his rev limit as soon as you do. Smaller tires should give you an edge off the mark, but I think the larger tires will win out at cruise.

Now, everyone - tell me how full of **** I really am!

- Jack
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM

I thought it took more HP and TQ to make the bigger tires turn. If that is true I should have the upper hand, but definitely do not.
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 07:00 PM

I was thinking of calling Bill, but I know how busy he is maybe I will call him from work tomorrow.
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 07:33 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
I thought it took more HP and TQ to make the bigger tires turn. If that is true I should have the upper hand, but definitely do not.
It does, but at high speed, your engine is turning over faster than the other guy's. You may be on the downside of the torque/HP curve at this point and he may be in the high region.

You SHOULD be able to pull away from him a bit at the start (of course you have to be careful not to spin the tires - he won't have as big a problem in this region with tire spinning).

And, I COULD be "full of it"! (And it won't be the first time). :o Be interesting to hear what Bill has to say.

- Jack
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Double Whopper

Buckeyes903 is on a distinguished road

That is really weird that your truck doesn't win. I know the 4.6 engines gained more horsepower in the newer years, but according to vehix both the 04 and 06 have 300hp and 365 ft/lb. Yours should beat his off the line, since his has a lower ratio now, but I know my 94 2.3 Ranger with 33's and 4.56 would take my buddies 05 3.0 Ranger with stock everything til about 45 mph, I really thought his would just beat mine all over.
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Bill is actually at the moment! He laid (crap, I always forget about the odd conjugation of the past tense of 'lie." He might have "lay" down... It's the teacher in me... sorry! The whole lay/lie thing in past tense is annoying.) down about 8PM and told me to get him up when I go to bed. If he doesn't address this thread tonight, give him a shout tomorrow.

(I have the answer! "Lay" is correct, but "lied" is the more common usage. Whew... you've no idea. I truly would've lost sleep over it.)

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019

Last edited by Corey Cohron RIP; Wed, January 28th, 2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: I FOUND THE ANSWER!