Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, December 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Whopper

87ttopstang is on a distinguished road
Default Programming in Cold Weather

Before I install my gryphon today, as it arrived yesterday , I thought I'd ask if there are any problems loading the new tunes in cold weather. I do not see why there would be, but I have read on another forum that there might be issues.

When I say cold, I mean -16 degrees here in Canada or 3 degrees in the US.

I'll be patiently waiting. HA HA
Old Thu, December 11th, 2008, 09:36 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87ttopstang View Post
Before I install my gryphon today, as it arrived yesterday , I thought I'd ask if there are any problems loading the new tunes in cold weather. I do not see why there would be, but I have read on another forum that there might be issues.

When I say cold, I mean -16 degrees here in Canada or 3 degrees in the US.

I'll be patiently waiting. HA HA
You've read the same forums that I've read. I suspect the problem is due to low battery voltage, rather than any difficulty caused by the unit itself or the PCM being cold. Usually, electronic devices work better when they're cold, although LCD screens can malfunction then. And, we all know that cold weather kills a battery's output.

I think what I'd do in your position is hook a battery charger up on a low charge setting, say 2 amps if you have one that can deliver that kind of charge (I do). Let it sit like that for about 30 minutes to bring the battery up to a good charge state and then go ahead and try to install the Gryphon and program the PCM. I'd leave the charger connected the whole time.

Of course, Bill should really be answering this, since he knows the unit best, but I don't see how what I suggest would hurt anything. Because my truck sits for long periods (weeks) in my garage, I keep it connected to a battery tender. I've programmed the PCM without disconnecting the battery tender.

Failing the charger route, just drive the truck until it warms up completely. Then, shut it down and immediately try to install and program the PCM. Make sure all accessories in the truck are turned off first, especially your DRL's and the heater blower. (The same advice for accessories applies to doing it on a charger too).

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, December 11th, 2008, 10:20 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Battery voltage is definitely an issue when programming in cold weather, but according to Ford's own internal documents as well as documentation from the manufacturers of some of the components, the PCM should not be reflashed until the unit temperature is at least 35º F (3º C). This actually has to do with the way the flash memory is written, which can be unstable in colder temperatures.

The best solution, as Jack indicated, is to run the truck for a bit and allow it to reach full operating temperature. This gives the battery a chance to receive a full charge and allows the PCM to warm up internally. Also, as Jack so wisely indicated, makes sure to turn off any accessories such as the heater blower, DRLs, and radio.

One thing people also overlook is the impact PTT (Nextel) Cellphones can have on the communications. CAN is a very robust communications protocol, but the microwave emissions to and from the phone can conceivably cause an issue during programming so I'd recommend keeping it far away from the programmer. I'm not aware of any specific instance where a failure occurred, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks for catching that one, Jack!

Oh... and 3º F. is freaking COLD! Brrrrrr!!!

Hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, December 12th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Whopper

I did allow the truck to warm up and I waited until the it was a little warmer. Worked fine and I can really notice the difference in the shifts. I am looking forward to the custom tunes.
Old Fri, December 12th, 2008, 09:30 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Glad you answered this one Bill -

I hadn't thought a cold PCM would be a problem and a cellphone? Sheesh! Interesting that the PCM's ROM seems to be able to "hold" its programming, once programmed, into sub-zero temperatures.

We don't worry much about cold weather in Tucson - forecast to reach 73 degrees today. :Yawn:

- Jack
Old Fri, December 12th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
We don't worry much about cold weather in Tucson - forecast to reach 73 degrees today. :Yawn:

- Jack

Going down to -20C or -4F for you USA folks tonight. I wish it was 73F here.
Old Fri, December 12th, 2008, 06:12 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

-20º C? :omg: That's just crazy! I'll even take my miserable 5º C (42º F) as opposed to that.

I bet it makes keeping warm a whole lot more fun, though!

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, December 12th, 2008, 06:27 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
-20º C? :omg: That's just crazy! I'll even take my miserable 5º C (42º F) as opposed to that.

I bet it makes keeping warm a whole lot more fun, though!

Take care.
Dressed like you (in a loincloth) :covereyes: 5º C (42º F) has to have a pretty severe "chill factor"! :cold: Glad us old farts have warmer climes to escape to.

(This is awful - I could spend my whole life here just thinking of ways to use these smileys).

- Jack
Old Sun, December 21st, 2008, 08:18 AM
AAA Rib Steak

Chris74 is on a distinguished road

we are at -18c here today but more like -30c with wind chill. Severe snow strom as well......my Gryphon has been working fine though in the cold weather so far this winter!
Old Sun, December 21st, 2008, 09:37 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light
Chris, that is just SO WRONG! I've always wondered how anyone could live where it's so cold. I get annoyed when it's below 40° F. Care to share some insight with me? Like, how do you even function? Or is it that it's so normal that it's not a big deal?

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019