Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, December 28th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Whopper Junior

Ke5fuj is on a distinguished road
Default PCM Calibration code

Hi. I found this site while lookign for a solution to my PCM problem. i know you guys work with perfoemance but i was hoping you could answer a queations or two i have about the PCMs.

I have a 2007 F150 with a 2006 5.4L factory motor with 2006 PCM. the Dealer and local mechanic both think its the computer that has the problems but we cant replace it because the cluster and the computer are not both the original parts from this truck. Which means that they are not both programmed to operate together properly. and this is why we are having problems. the dealer says they cant program it because they dont know what the original Calibration code was on the original computer. this code is supposed to make a lot of thing work right. unfortunately i cant order a new computer and be done with it because they need the original calibration code to make it work.

the question i have is how do i go about finding out what the original calibration code was on the original computer? that way i can order another one. OR can i reprogram the existing computer completely to make it all work?
I figured since this guy Bill that i'm reading about is a wiz at these computers, maybe he can help me. the dealer and my mechanic are both stumped. but if you know the folks at any of the dealers around here, you would know that they arent the brightest crayon in the box. when my truck went ininitially to have the computer programmed for the original keys, they sid there was nothing else wrong. but i am getting check engine lights and the wrench all the time and the truck wont hardly run at that point.

i've been working on this problem for over 6 months now. anything is greatly appreciated.
thanks
Isaac
Old Mon, December 28th, 2009, 02:11 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Is there possibly a sticker on the side of the pcm? Someplace?
The other thing is do you have any access to the records for which truck it came out of?
Dealer is stumped too?
I'm not Bill but my gut tells me a 2007 pcm would be a better option than a 2006 pcm. You might get a code for a fan speed sensor w/the 07 but that's it. It would be easier to program the 06 to the 07 then try and battle the rest. But Bill may have a different idea.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, December 28th, 2009, 02:22 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

What year of truck did the gauge cluster come out of?
If you are at a FORD dealer then they should have a multitude of access to the PCM HEX codes.

Old Mon, December 28th, 2009, 06:56 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Isaac - Bill MAY be able to help, but I'd like to make sure we've got this straight.

You have a 2007 chassis, gauge cluster and driveline downstream of the engine, but a 2006 engine and PCM? Do I dare ask why?

I would think there might be "features" in the gauge cluster and possibly even in the transmission that might not be supported properly with a 2006 PCM. This may be your problem.

Who the heck installed the PCM and engine?

I'm in agreement with 88Racing here that a 2007 PCM seems a better choice. And didn't the fan change about midway through, so maybe you could get a calibration that was "pre-fan change"?

There SHOULD have been a sticker on the PCM though with the original hex code. Where did it come from?

I'm sorry, I know all I'm doing is asking questions and they don't help you at all. Maybe they might help someone else though to get a better understanding of your problem.

Hope things get better soon.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, January 5th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Whopper Junior

Ke5fuj is on a distinguished road

Ok eveyone. sorry it took me so long to respond. i started a new job this week and haven't had much time. i also didn't have time before to elaborate on everything before but now i do so i will give you the whole scoop....here we go....

Bought a 2007 F150 Supercab that originally came with a 5.4L in it. For some reason, the original motor was in the bed of the truck in many pieces. no idea why. I went over the engine and could not find any problems with it at all but instead of rebuilding it and putting it back in, i got my hands on another engine out of a wrecked 06 F150 crew cab (4x4 i think) pickup. This motor obviously ran fine when it was wrecked. I took the motor out of that truck, took the wiring harness, and the computer all with me.

The driver side head on the front had some damage from the wreck along with the front V shaped crank cover. I had the old cover and the old heads in perfect condition off the 07 motor so i bought a gasket kit from ford (just to be safe) and replaced both heads and both sets of gaskets and everything else that could have been replaced as well. The timing chain on the drivers side had taken a small lick from the wreck and messed up one of the links so just to be safe, i bought a whole new set of timing chains as well from ford.

Before you question the timing and the positioning of the chains and the cam gears, i went to the local dealer and had them print me out an instruction pamplet on how to install the chains and the gears properly. It was a ford instruction sheet. and it had very clear and plain pictures and i guarantee it was done like the booklet showed.

I reassembled the entire engine, put new spark plugs in it (stupid exspensive plugs - 18 bucks a piece) and checked everything and them reinstalled the 06 <<<<< yes the 06 wiring harness. (yes this is wrong but just keep reading)
After i got the engine back in the truck, i began putting everything else on the outside of the motor and this is when i found out that the 06 harness wasn't going to work. the 06 had a manual fan and the 07 had an electric fan. since the wrecked truck destroyed the original fan i decided to use the 07 electric fan. I then spent about 30 minutes fighting with the harnesses trying to get one off and the other on. BOTH harnesses are in execellent shape. no signs of damage or crushed areas or anything.

after reassembly was complete in my garage, i decided to see if it would fire up. Of course it wouldn't because i forgot about the key and the different computer. No biggie. took it to the dealer and they programmed the keys and it fired right up but with a few minor problems. the engine wouldn't run very well and was rough idle. and it got rougher after it warmed up too. the tech said i needed a new Mass air flow and cam sensors. I told him to leave it be and i would take care of it. A friend who had a tow truck owed me a free tow so i took the truck back home, pulled out my brothers aftermarket OBDII reader and read the codes to see what i could find out.

The MAF and the cam sensors were giving giving DTC's so i dug a little into those sensors. Turns out my 08 V6 work truck used the same part number MAF that my truck did. so i swapped them. The work truck would give the same exact readings on both sensors and my truck would give absolutely nothing. No voltage, no air readings, nothing. I traced the wiring harness back to the computer pin by pin and ohm'd out the wires. there were no shorts, and no open wires. all was good. so i put it back together.

Then i next addressed the Cam sensors. Went and bought a new one since it was fairly cheap and tried it on one side. No change. tried it on the other side, no change. swapped the old ones around with the new one trying to move the problem or make it show its face any way i could, no change anywhere. I fought this for a few days off and on doing searches on google trying to figure out what was happening.

I found several postings like this that had lists of trouble codes and i looked at them all and they were all the same. unfortunately at this very moment i do not remember the codes it showed but that might not matter in a second after i tell you some more.

When i finally felt I had hit a wall, i took the truck to the only mechanic in the area that knows more about these trucks than the dealer guys do. Of course the dealer usually has access to more than a local mechanic does but those guys at the dealer are not very intelligent and dont want to take the time to do the research. As a matter of fact, i had to show the tech there how to program my PATS system for my keys and i had never even seen the dealer software before. thats not saying much for those guys.

My mechanic has had the truck for a few months now, and he's doing be a favor basically and working on it in his spare time. however at this point he probably has about 40 hours in it trying to figure it out. I doubt i get billed for that much, but he's determined to figure it out. and he's a really good guy who cares about what he does. so that helps.

After all this time of tracing wires, swapping sensors, and checking codes with a much more advanced computer than what i had, he can't say for certain but he believes the problem to be in the computer. Now since i have an 06 computer in my 07 truck, and dont have the original for some unknown reason, we do not have the original calibration code off the original computer to allow us to order a new one. and there are 6 different options for that VIN says the dealer. I made some other calls and got a friend of mine at another dealer out of state to do some digging and he managed to trace that VIN backwards to the manufacture's warehouse and found out what the original calibration code was. So now he has it and is waiting for me to make a decision on whether or not i want to order a $539.00 computer. and thats Dealer cost...still Ugh.

my original question on this site was how to figure out the original cali code but my NEW question now is, does anyone know if it is possible to program a 06 computer to work on an 07 truck. The instrument cluster is the original 07 cluster as well. If i order a new computer, the dealer will have to program it anyways so i would like to know if programming the 06 is a possibility. if not, then i will order a new computer and pray that it fixes the problem. although at this point, no one, including the dealer, my mechanic, or any tech lines he can call, seem to know what the deal is. This will be a great truck if i can ever get it running right. but if not, then i got a very expensive front yard ornament.

Any help or advise i can get i will take. also please give me at least 24 hours to respond if you ask me any questions. if you email me personally i might get back sooner. but i cant promise anything.

thanks in advance for all help.

Isaac
Old Wed, January 6th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough
Clap

Isaac - Unfortunately, I can't help you with your problem, but I want to say that I am very impresssed with how much work you have to put into this truck. It's guys like you that make me proud to be a Ford truck owner. I sincerely hope you get this figure out and get the truck running.

You rock!

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old Wed, January 6th, 2010, 08:58 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

I really don't want to see you spend anymore money than you have to but I don't want to see you having a lawn ormament either.
At a custom shop that I used to work for they transplanted newer Ford drive trains into older ford vehicles. Each time they did this they hired a guy out of florida to come work his magic. Which was $1500 plus travel room+board. This was about 8-10 years ago.
I know you don't want to go that route.
The research I did showed a break between 06+07 so the groupings I found were 04-06 and 07-08 with another group of early 04.
One of the significant changes in 07 was the flex fuel option along with electric controlled fan and different transmission strategies. That's the other thing is the truck flex fuel?
My personal recommendation is go with the 07 pcm.
I also realize you have done a lot of work and want to get it done.