Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Tue, January 5th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Double Whopper

bambo2888 is on a distinguished road

OP, how do you have the 4r75e? did it come with it from the factory or was it replaced already?

i had my 4r70w repalced at 81k when i was beating on it a little bit, exact same symptoms as you (reverse and 3rd only).

they are NOT bulletproof. I wish i kept a tally of the various people with the exact same truck who had their tranny's replaced/rebuilt between 60-100k miles. its a design flaw, simple. there is NO reason for so many to fail at the same time when most have claimed tamed driving habits and regular/scheduled tranny service.
Old Thu, January 7th, 2010, 01:16 AM
04 fx4 f150

mwood1986 is on a distinguished road

It came factory my truck is the late model 2004 with the 5.4 hell my manual didn't even have my transmission number in it so I had to look it up online and find out that way. Anyhow common sense it wasn't the 4r70 due to the fact it listed what transmission letter it was in the manual it just didn't show the 4r75.

Oh yea the kits for 4r70 and 4r75 are interchangeable I came to find out from the tranny guy. He told me the only difference between the 4r75 and 4r70 internally is that the 4r75 has an extra clutch plate so it's not hardly any better. One more clutch plate won't make a big difference it prolly just reassured them to make it past the warranty period lol.

As for monster transmission those are the same clutches the old guy there was talkin to me about they're kolene clutches just couldn't remember the name was all. They're putting all except for the kolene clutches and the shift kit in my transmission for 1800 the kolene clutches are another 200bucks I'm thinkin of investing in but I want to see what failed before I start upgrading much.

These guys I'm workin with rebuild from the ground up with almost all new parts including steam bathing and painting the transmission so it's not all that bad a deal vs paying some guy who only replaces the cluches for a grand ha

I'll update with what happens he's runnin behind so he won't break into it till friday now
Old Thu, January 7th, 2010, 07:26 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Yep I got to edit my post.
Can't do it on my mobile.
But the tranny is a 4R75E.
Factory Tech has some good prices also.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, January 19th, 2010, 11:16 AM
04 fx4 f150

mwood1986 is on a distinguished road

Well found out today that I had burned up my clutch in reverse.
I found that the reverse gear is the worst gear to give gas to so basically when I had gotten stuck in the snow drift and backed out I tried keeping the rpm up so the clutches would lock up and well obviously the clutches don't lockup too well since it's third gear for reverse so I basically burnt up the reverse gear.

I found the reasoning that it didn't mess up till the next day, I guess since the clutches were almost gone when it went to engage it didn't engage so it kept putting pressure to the clutches till it basically just bound up and was stuck in third gear then when I went to drive down the highway and the trans fault light came on it had tried to shift into the other gears and basically blew up the clutch packs since third gear was jammed.

So all in all it was an $1800 lesson learned don't give it too much gumption in reverse instead just crawl out and go easy on it vs. trying to keep the clutches locked up and since they don't lock up end up burning them out ha.

He put the kolene steel clutches in it since the clutches were the weak point in the tranny (among all the normal updates to the transmission) I'm also buying the extended warranty for the transmission just in case anything else happens.

So this ones filed in operator error, not programmer error.
Old Tue, January 19th, 2010, 12:06 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I sympathise with you!!!
Some of the best lessons learned are the ones that are the hardest on the pocket book.
You did the upgrades so you should be good to go for a long time.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.