Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Thu, April 8th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough
Default Keep current or former tires on my new truck?

So i just upgraded my 2001 F-150 to a 2005 F-150 (pictures are in my album!), and they have the same tire sizes, the tread seems to me with a finger test that they are pretty close, but i know that the old tires have about 10,000 miles on them. the former ones are Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70R17 and the new ones are Fuzion XTi 265/70R17. I have the option of taking the truck in a putting on the tires i bought 10000 miles ago, or just keeping the ones i have. because it is a dealer they wont let me do it myself, and gave me a rough guestimate of $75 to do it. What do you guys think? worth it to change to the old ones or just keep the current ones?
oh and the new truck's inspection said that my current ones have 9/32's of tread left.
And on another note I kept my gryphon and everything, I asked about it on a different thread, and I was told i could keep the gryphon and just get a new cable and dash pod(if i wanted). I was just thinking about it though, i have the gryphon for a 2001, and my new truck is a 2005, so will this still work? even with the 3V motor vs the 2V? again thanks for the help
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 11:57 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

How old are the tires on your "new" truck? You can check the age of the tires by looking for the last four digits of the DOT ID on the sidewall (next to the rim). If your tires were manufactured last year, you might see something like 4409, meaning the tires were made in the 44th week of 2009. You MAY have to look on the inside sidewall of the tire to find this number - it is not always printed on both sidewalls.

Beyond age - your question is really too complex to answer. What was the original tread depth of each tire brand compared to its current depth? That might give you some idea of how fast each is wearing.

Good guidelines for tire replacement are at 4/32" tread remaining, so you have 5/32" to go on the new tires. (Note: the replacement point used to be at 2/32" but that point gives you almost no wet traction).

My "gut" reaction would be to stay with the tires you have on the truck now. But, I'd compare the age, tread depth and rate of wear on both to make a final judgment.

I THINK your old Gryphon can be updated to work with the 2005 truck, but you'll have to talk to Bill about the costs to do so. Besides a new cable, it will require new firmware and, of course new custom programs. Maybe this is a good excuse to get a CS or CTS?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Grown-up in training!

Thanks for the advise, I looked up the tires and they both start with about 14/32's tread, but i couldn't find anything that said how many miles they were supposed to have. I will check the dates and if they are the same or fairly close ill keep the same ones, i dont think its worth the $$ to change them.
and firstly i am surprised how much better the stock engine is on my new truck than my old one! but yeah if it costs too much money ill just upgrade to a ct or cts those are pretty nice! and ill stick with regular tunes for now since i havent done anything yet, what do you all recommend for upgrades? im planning on the gotts mod or equivalent, and then i dont know what. I am wondering if doing the exhaust, or pulleys, or electric fans(if needed, haha i really dont know the truck yet). thanks again!
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 01:04 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
Thanks for the advise, I looked up the tires and they both start with about 14/32's tread, but i couldn't find anything that said how many miles they were supposed to have. I will check the dates and if they are the same or fairly close ill keep the same ones, i dont think its worth the $$ to change them.
and firstly i am surprised how much better the stock engine is on my new truck than my old one! but yeah if it costs too much money ill just upgrade to a ct or cts those are pretty nice! and ill stick with regular tunes for now since i havent done anything yet, what do you all recommend for upgrades? im planning on the gotts mod or equivalent, and then i dont know what. I am wondering if doing the exhaust, or pulleys, or electric fans(if needed, haha i really dont know the truck yet). thanks again!
Probably, your tires are not "treadwear rated". Too bad you can't figure out (or maybe you can if there's a receipt for the tires) how much tread has been lost on each set vs miles driven. If you knew the mileage on each truck when the last tire change occurred, that's all you need.

My personal opinion is that exhaust mods are mostly for "sound". If you get long tube headers, "X" pipe or "H" pipe configurations, you get some power increases, but that's about it. The Gotts style mod is a good one, in my book. E-fans and Underdrive pulleys are also a way to get more power delivered to the wheels.

- Jack
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Grown-up in training!

Yeah i know how many miles my tires have on them because i still have the receipt, the others have a warranty pamphlet in the glove box but it doesn't say anything about when they were put on ... the seem to be in pretty good shape, and i think i will go to the place where i bought my tires and see what they think about the new ones since they sold me the old ones and know about them.
Old Sat, April 10th, 2010, 10:03 AM
PHP Groupie

Sounds like a good idea. I'm sure they have an opinion on the relative merits of the two brands, and they have nothing to gain or lose by telling you that information. When I bought new tires for my trailer, there were several brands I was considering and I remember the tire people telling me to stay away from one particular brand.

- Jack
Old Sat, April 10th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Grown-up in training!

Yeah so the guys had never heard of the brand of my new trucks tires, so i went to go look at the old truck tires again, and i noticed that one of them looked like it had been overinflated and the tread was way low in the center, so i decided to keep the ones i had, the treadwear was about the same for all 4 tires(for now lol) and now i know that i need to be a better driver haha! I am fairly sure that that tire's low tread wasnt just too much air, but a little of me spinning it by trying to go too fast around corners etc... oh well, lesson learned!