Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 11:27 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
Default Battery recomendations?

My great battery tender idea lost its charge last night. I went to go start the truck and nothing!
I proceeded to keep calm due to the kids watching.
Told everyone we were going to take mom's ride instead.
Upon getting back from the errand checked out the battery tender. It was ok BUT the 12v side of the cord was chewed on. Well we still have the pets thanks to my wife's intervention. I know which one it was and he is now on his last life!

See guys, $hit does happen to everyone!
I should have posted it in the emergency section but I thought that isn't fair.

I estimate the battery is about 4.5 years old. So its on its last leg.

So?
Any suggestions?
I mean for a good battery?
Some good ones I know of:
Optima
Interstate
Exide

I have wally world, sams, sears, dealers, and auto parts stores. Sorry Jack no costcos up here.

Thanx in advance!

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Oh Lars - you anticipated me!

Find one with the best guarantee and no-hassle return policy. (That's why I like Costco). Maybe Sams is a good bet?

I still think Optima is way overpriced.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Well I personally have always used Diehard batterys (sears) and they have been outstanding for me. I have 3 for the boat and one in each vehicle. The cranking battery in the boat will be starting its tenth year here soon and its been a great. ( ofcourse I probably have got pretty lucky with it) But all of they others have a good bit of years on them and doing good.

I actually had to buy an interstate battery for our tractor a couple of years ago for lack of another choice, I was skeptical at first, but now I am real pleased with the purchase and the price. Dont really think you could go wrong with this option.

I have never liked optima ones. I hear too much bad about them. As you know they have the red top and yellow top. I have heard one is junk and the other is decent, but I am not gone to take the 50% chance pick on a overpriced battery.
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Gator 68 is on a distinguished road

I used to sell exide in the partstore I ran. I have always had good service with them. They all have giving me over 4 yrs of service without any problems. I was told by several battery manf., anything after 4 yrs is just buying time.
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 01:29 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Called the place where I do part time work and guess what they said?

AC Delco!

Hmmmm

Wonder how my garage queen would like a GM battery?

Course I would get a discounted price!

My tech buddy told me to stay away from optima. He said they aren't like they used to be.

Called 3 other places. Guess what?

AC Delco again!

Oh well I will do some more calling.
Lars

Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Bacon King

Sburn will become famous soon enoughSburn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Called the place where I do part time work and guess what they said?

AC Delco!

Called 3 other places. Guess what?

AC Delco again!

Seems kinda "unatural" to have an AC Delco-anything in a Ford, but I have to agree with your two data points above. I had an AC Delco in my 1990 F150 for 5+ years and it never missed a beat. Was the "Pro" model, FWIW.

Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 02:24 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Here's a interesting little link fom interstate that I just came across:
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...?ZipCode=57201

Check out the battery life/expectancy map. The way it looks to me the upper portion of the US gets the most battery life and those in the south or canada the life goes away.

Lars

Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 03:39 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

I have good luck with Maxx everstart batteries from WM good price with 3 year free replacement... Consumer reports actually rates them very highly too. Plus if your battery craps out there is a walmart pretty much on every corner. Also check the manufacturer date and ship date sticker on the batteries.. walmart generally sells lots of batteries so they don sit on the shelf for a long time before being sold. plus if you loose receipt their warranty is based on manufacture date on the battery.
I don't care for AC delco but all the others mentioned above are good... Optima are great batteries but $$$$$
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Whopper

08F150 is on a distinguished road

I sell Ac Delco batteries at my shop and have never any issues with them. I had one go bad in one of my customers cars in the last 5 years and there was no hassle for a free replacement. We also have cold winters here. Just be carefull if you do purchase an ac delco because they have a professional series battery and a 2nd line which you would find at Walmart. Be sure you get the professional series. Maybe you could find a motorcraft cover for it
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Whopper

kansasboy is on a distinguished road

Optima is a good choice if you are drawing alot of current. Lights, stereo system, winch. Hold up real well under rough conditions. Only last a couple years. That's what I don't like. I've had good luck with ac delco. After 5-6 years the battery terminals will come out. Overall very good battery. I run walmart's maxx marine in my boat and have had great results with them. I'd say for the price walmarts hard to beat. JMO