Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sat, January 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Whopper Junior

trbsht is on a distinguished road
Default Best option for 4.2 F-150

I have been wanting to get a gryphon programmer for a while now and it seems I have come across enough cash to full fill my dream.

But I have questions.

I know not to expect major increases but my truck is really bad on gas, I get about 14 mpg no joke but I have upgraded to 265/70/17 from the 235/70/17 and yes I have figured for the loss in mileage with the larger tires.

Question #1 Should I do a few mods before I get the programmer?

The only mod I know I will be doing for sure is an electric fan because it's the cheapest. Do you guys have any good recommendations besides that.
I'm not to concerned about mpg but I would like to pick up some hp without losing any and maybe gaining a few.

Should I go with the gryphon or one of the other 2 programmers php sells?

Thank you
Old Sun, January 31st, 2010, 11:19 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I dont believe the edge/gryphon supports the 4.2L. But I think Bill has said that he can custom tune for them.
Old Sun, January 31st, 2010, 05:04 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBFX4 View Post
Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I dont believe the edge/gryphon supports the 4.2L. But I think Bill has said that he can custom tune for them.
I think you're right about that JWB. Bill CAN program a Gryphon for the 4.2, but it will cost more since he has to build all the stock files from scratch. I don't know what the additional cost would be, trbsht, you'd have to call him to find out. (You might try a PM too, for this information).

I think e-fans would probably give you more power and improve your mileage. I'd say that is a reasonable mod to try. You didn't say what your gear ratio was, but I'm assuming it is 3.55. The new tires give you an effective ratio of only about 3.36. To get back to the "stock" ratio (for more power), you'd need to regear to 3.73 gears. (If it's a 4WD, you need to do both axles). You could get an increased feeling of power by upping the gearing to 4.10, which will give you a modest hit on fuel economy. I would not go higher than 4.10. If it were my truck and if it were 2WD, I think I'd go with the gears before thinking about a programmer.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, January 31st, 2010, 10:48 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Only Bill and Corey would know what the price tag would be on a gryphon for your truck would be but PHP can do it.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, February 1st, 2010, 12:41 PM
Whopper Junior

trbsht is on a distinguished road

I absolutely see what your saying about the gears. I did not know much about that until now. So I am going to hold off on the programmer for now and do the e-fan first and then think about the gears later.
I'm pretty sure it is 3.55 also and I would probably want 4.10.
What is the cost for changing gears on a 2wd truck. I'm guessing cheaper then 4wd.

Thanks
Old Mon, February 1st, 2010, 01:07 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

$300-$600
Depends on shop's labor rates.
Check out Randys ring and pinion.

Old Mon, February 1st, 2010, 01:18 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Here's Randy's website:Randy's Ring & Pinion. The Differential Experts. Auto Parts & Services.
If you can't find what your looking for call them.
Also talk to shops in your area they might have some better deals.