Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, April 23rd, 2010, 04:16 PM
Lonestar Legend

LonestarROB is on a distinguished road
Default Octane levels

Hey all, I asked this question to Jack but want to get others opinions as well.

I have an 08 F-150. Have been running 87 octane gas ever since I bought it(new). Got a Gryphon late last year with an 87 Performance tune. Its been nice. Now that the new CS is out(i gotta have the latest and greatest. ) I've ordered the Gryphon CS last week during PHP's sale. So I'm getting a "new" 87 Performance tune of coarse. But then I couldn't decide what to get with the free tune. Ended up going with a 91 Performance. Not sure that was the right choice or not.

I did a some researching online and most of what I read is that the higher the octane, doesn't mean "better". So with the 91 octane and Performance tune, I was hoping to get a lot better performance but, from what I've read doing research, is thats just a myth. And other then fixing "knocking" issues, theres no real advantage to the higher octanes.

So now i'm considering, if it's not too late, changing my free tune to a 87 Tow. I dont really ever tow, it's possible in the future but doubtful. And with no real gains from a higher octane, it doesn't really make sense to pay the extra for the gas.

Anyway, just would like to hear from others and what everyone's opinions are.

Thanks
Rob
Old Fri, April 23rd, 2010, 04:42 PM
texas offroading

cody994x4 is on a distinguished road

ford motors are built for low compression/87 octane. the only motors i know that are built for higher compression are euro motors and race motors/crate engines.

research this and see what you find.

idk if its too late to re-order or not but shoot him an email and see what happens. g/l
Old Fri, April 23rd, 2010, 09:14 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I did 0-60 and 1/4 mile time tests with tunes adjusted for premium and never did any better. One thing that some people have been finding from the higher octane is slightly better mileage when they tune for it. On average over here the premium is about $.20 higher. This comes out to a little below 7%. If you can get 7% better mileage then the higher octane will pay for itself. Just something to think about. Personally I would keep a tow tune to make pulling heavier loads easier and more efficient.
Old Sat, April 24th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Lonestar Legend

LonestarROB is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input. Yea, Jack had mentioned that the gain in gas mileage probably wouldn't be enough to offset the extra cost. Think I'll try to get it changed to an 87 Tow if I can.

Rob