Power Hungry Performance Forum FordTough.ca - Generic

Visit dYgYtAl Radio!

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon™ CS and CTS Programmer

Gryphon™ CS and CTS Programmer Post here if you have a question or comment about the Gryphon CS (Color Screen) or CTS (Color Touch Screen) Programmer.

It is with regret that we are announcing that we will no longer be offering custom tuning for the Edge CS and CTS after December 31, 2012. Since the CS and CTS were released, we have tried to work around some of the limitations of Fusion (Edge internet update software) to help our customers that use our custom tunes. Unfortunately, Fusion was not designed to accommodate custom tuning and so this has been on ongoing struggle for us and our customers. We have asked Edge to modify this software and Edge is willing to have one of their engineers redesign the Fusion software to accommodate our custom tunes. However, after evaluating the size and scope of that project, we have decided that, at this time, we are not in a financial position to make that investment.

Several times a week, we are contacted by frustrated customers who either have had difficulty with their download or are under the impression that we have simply forgotten about them. In most cases, however, their tunes have been uploaded, but upon connecting to Fusion, they were overwritten by a more recent device update. Due to the way Fusion is written, the customer has no indication that the custom tunes existed on Edge’s server because nothing appears on the screen to let them know what changes were made to their programmer. Also, because of the “one-click” update method used by Fusion, the user has no choice as to whether or not a regular device update is applied or their custom tunes are downloaded.

An even bigger problem is that every time a device update is released and a customer connects their programmer to Fusion, any custom tunes on the device are wiped out and then we are contacted by the customer in regards to re-uploading their custom tunes. Unfortunately, with nearly every update, custom tunes have to be rewritten to work with the latest file structure changes Edge has made. As you can imagine, this is terribly time consuming with customers sometimes having to wait weeks or months before their tunes can be rewritten and reloaded because there are so many customers in queue!

We have conservatively estimated that about 80% of our office time is spent dealing with Fusion update issues. The majority of phone calls and customer complaints we receive and read on the forums are about receiving custom tunes for the CS and CTS. Recently, with multiple Fusion updates over a period of weeks, we are just not able to keep up with this. Since there is no simple, immediate solution to these issues, the time has come for us to focus our attention on other products and projects so that we can provide all of our customers with the quality of service we believe they deserve.

We will, of course, support all existing custom tuning customers, as we will still have access to Edge’s Fusion software. If, for any reason, this situation should change, we will continue to keep everyone informed. We will also continue to serve as Edge dealers, as we believe highly in the quality of their hardware products.

Thank you in advance for understanding, as this was not an easy decision for us to make.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT IF YOU CONNECT TO FUSION FOR EDGE'S LATEST FIRMWARE UPDATE, YOU WILL ERASE YOUR CUSTOM TUNES!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 01:46 AM
Double Whopper with Cheese

DoneDunIt is on a distinguished road

My concern will be if they update the firmware with things that are currently missing from the Evolution, we will have to wait until Bill gets things ready for us to upgrade. I hope he can separate the Firmware and the Custom programing so that we can upgrade the Firmware and have no effect on the Custom tunes.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:22 AM
PHP Groupie

JackandJanet is a glorious beacon of lightJackandJanet is a glorious beacon of lightJackandJanet is a glorious beacon of lightJackandJanet is a glorious beacon of lightJackandJanet is a glorious beacon of lightJackandJanet is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskrider View Post
Thanks for the update Jack.

Looks like the CS/CTS process for custom tunes is going to be a little confusing for awhile. I program computers for a living and it's still a little confusing to me, lol. Though your posts cleared up most of the questions I had, so thank you.

The following is for those of us who do not yet have custom tunes, but are expecting to get them in the near future.

Just so I'm clear... it sounds like Fusion will wipe whatever custom tunes are placed there by Bill IF we're not on the same firmware version that Bill wrote our customs on, which should always be the latest version. Is that correct? It also sounds like if we're not on the right firmware version, for whatever reason, then whatever customs Bill put up there for us will be wiped out if we attempt to even update Fusion. This would mean that there is no way to get the customs if we're not up to date, and no way to get up to date if we're not already without wiping any downloads Bill has placed online for us. Correct?

So it seems the bottom line is that if we're not up to date we'd better do it before Bill gets our customs up there, or the pooch is screwed, so to speak.
Worst case being Bill has to take time out of his busy schedule to re-upload our stuff.

So, the obvious question is how do we know if we're up to date, how do we know when updates happen, and do we have any idea how often they happen so we all know how often to unplug our programmers from the truck and plug them into the computer?

Sorry for all the questions... just want to be 100% sure I know what's up.

Thanks!
Those are great questions and thankfully, I have answers and, you've basically got it right. But, I think what you're saying could be misunderstood, so I'll try to explain.

If you want to know if you have custom tunes, the sure-fire way to tell is to go to [Help]->[Product Info] on the CS/CTS. If you see a "Calibration Version" that looks like n.nnnn.nnn where the four "n's" in the middle are NOT ALL zeros, you DO NOT have custom calibrations. If the "Calibration Version" looks like "n.0000.nnn", you DO have custom tunes on your CS/CTS and any attempt to update the firmware is going to replace those custom tunes with canned ones (even if your firmware was already up to date)!.

The reason why this happens is: To Fusion, the "0000" looks like a "really old" calibration, so it will always try to replace that with a "new", up to date calibration.

Now, when Bill has your custom tunes ready for you, he will place that tune file, with the n.0000.nnn version number on Edge's server and tell it to do a "targeted update" (targeted to YOUR Serial Number), so that only YOU get it. Your CS/CTS will then download and install that tune file only. As soon as it is installed, Fusion checks to see if your firmware is up to date. If it is, you're all finished and you can shut down Fusion and take the CS/CTS back to your truck.

But, here's the problem: If it finds your firmware is out of date, it "erases" the targeted function property and then proceeds to update both your firmware AND what it now sees as an out of date calibration!

The "targeted update" always comes first, and does NOT include a firmware update, which would include Edge's calibration files. (Notice in my description of the firmware update process, in my earlier post, the calibration files are always included too).

So yes. BEFORE Bill puts your custom tune files on the server, you need to know that your firmware is up to date. Unfortunately, there's no "sure-fire" way to know. If you have registered your CS/CTS with Edge, they will send an email if there is an important firmware update. But, they won't do this for EVERY "tiny" firmware update or just the "feature-specific" ones. Right now, DoneDunIt's and my numbers match, except for the last 3 digits in his calibration, which is probably because he has a diesel. We are probably up to date (with canned tunes).

All I can advise is to perhaps once a week, put your truck to stock and connect the CS/CTS to Fusion to check for updates (as long as you have canned tunes).

If your unit is NOT up to date when you install custom tunes, Bill will have to reinstall your targeted update and you will be waiting for him to do that.

Clearly, the problem is due to the fact that the firmware and calibration updates cannot be separated or individually declined by the end-user (you). Edge wanted to minimize the possibility of "user error", so they took total control of the update process. So far, they are not interested in modifying that approach. Bill is the ONLY tuner writing custom tunes for the CS/CTS platform, and it's only for Ford trucks! We are simply not a huge percent of their customer base.

Bill is trying to get Edge to change some things. It may take a LOOONG time. We'll all just have to be patient.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 06-29-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Changed wording slightly after confirming some things
Old 05-18-2010, 11:51 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Jack,
Thanks for posting that.
Unlike some who have followed the step by step process of being current with the latest firmware, I was not.
So I too am waiting for a solution to this delema. I know there's updates available for me to download but I'm patiently waiting also so that I can get the updates without wiping out the custom tunes.
Hang tight everyone!
Peace!

PHP on FaceBook
SENIOR MODERATOR--PTLA
2002 F150 H/D....#57 Jonhny ported Eaton, 2.93" upper, 4 lb lower, C&L plenum, C&L Elbow, Ported TB, NGK TR6 spark plugs gapped at. 34, Punisher VB, tuned by JJ@WMS ....the list goes on
Old 05-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Whopper

Duskrider is on a distinguished road

Excellent answers Jack, thank you.

I think I understand the problem completely now, and I can see why Edge is doing it that way. It's unfortunate for the custom tune crowd, but of course they have to do what's best for the larger portion of their customer base... at least until they can work a solution that doesn't complicate things for everyone else.

Would it be a good idea to have a thread somewhere in here that always has the most up to date version information for the CS and CTS so we can double check it, or is that information available from Edge somewhere online? I'm talking about something simple so we can see that

"The most current version is n.XXXX.nnn"

Just a thought.

Thanks again for the info.
Imagination is more important than knowledge -Albert Einstein
Old 05-18-2010, 03:52 PM
PHP Groupie

JackandJanet is a glorious beacon of lightJackandJanet is a glorious beacon of lightJackandJanet is a glorious beacon of lightJackandJanet is a glorious beacon of lightJackandJanet is a glorious beacon of lightJackandJanet is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskrider View Post
Excellent answers Jack, thank you.

I think I understand the problem completely now, and I can see why Edge is doing it that way. It's unfortunate for the custom tune crowd, but of course they have to do what's best for the larger portion of their customer base... at least until they can work a solution that doesn't complicate things for everyone else.

Would it be a good idea to have a thread somewhere in here that always has the most up to date version information for the CS and CTS so we can double check it, or is that information available from Edge somewhere online? I'm talking about something simple so we can see that

"The most current version is n.XXXX.nnn"

Just a thought.

Thanks again for the info.
Duskrider, that is an excellent thought, but I don't really see how to "find" this information. I've just been all over Edge's website and there is nothing there that tells us the Version Number of the latest firmware or calibration files. I'd think the only way to get this information would be to call them and ask what the most current numbers are, and that would get old in a hurry.

Fusion doesn't give it either. If one of us wanted to stick with canned tunes, that person could always just check for updates once a week and then publish the resulting firmware and calibration numbers. I don't think I'll volunteer for this job though.

All told, Edge's decision to take some of the choices out of the end-user's hands are not particularly helpful to us. But, I'm sure THEY see it as making everything much more robust.

I suggested to Bill that maybe Edge might let him use Calibration Version numbers of the form: n.9999.nnn, so that HIS files would always look like the most current version, but he said they would not go for that.

Without a big rewrite of Fusion, to give the end-user more control over what happens, I don't see any easy solutions here. However, suggestions are always welcome. Something clearly needs to change.

- Jack
Old 05-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Whopper

Tell them to hand the source code over to me for a week and I'll take care of it.

if(CalibrationVersion == "n.0000.nnn")
{
AskPermissionToUpdate();
}
else
{
JustDoIt();
}

On a serious note, I notice that the filename for the Fusion software is currently, product_update-file-17.exe. If they change the name of the file when they do an update, that will tell us. Not sure if they will though.

Found that here: Edge Products| Product Updates
Old 05-18-2010, 06:52 PM
PHP Groupie

Except that I'd say,
strstr("0000",CalVersion) ? AskPermissionToUpdate() : JustDoIt();
(Sorry, this is what you get when you float code in front of another programmer!)

AND, I'd separate the updating of firmware from updating of calibration, unless there is some reason why they are linked (and, there could be). It WOULD be a trivial change to Fusion I suspect, but Edge is not going to do it for such a limited audience.

To your other question, the first thing that happens when you activate Fusion is that it looks for updates to itself. Once it finishes that, it directs you to connect your "device" so it can look for firmware updates. Those steps ARE "decoupled".

My Fusion files are all dated 4/13/2010 or earlier, the date I installed Fusion and established the Fusion account. The email notification was on 4/23/2010, and I didn't install the firmware update until I started this thread. To see if anything has changed, I downloaded and used product_update-file-17.exe to "repair" my Fusion installation. The only thing that changed was what looks like a "changelog" kind of file. So, it appears to me that Fusion does not change when the CS/CTS firmware changes.

- Jack
Old 05-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Except that I'd say,
strstr("0000",CalVersion) ? AskPermissionToUpdate() : JustDoIt();
Touche'

Guess right now the best thing to do is make sure we register our CS/CTS and hope that Edge lets us know when they do a firmware update.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:04 PM
PHP Groupie

I suspect they will. AND, I suspect there might be several firmware updates. I understand they are trying to get the Avg MPG calculation to be more accurate before they make it a viewable PID and the CS/CTS don't have WOT shift adjustments, at least in mine and one other that I know about, and they are "investigating" that.

I'll certainly notify people in this forum if I get any more firmware update notices.

- Jack
Old 06-22-2010, 01:04 AM
Whopper

Just as a quick FYI,

I just updated my unit (CS Gas) and here's the current release notes:

Quote:
Firmware Description:

Released 04/20/2010
Fixed a bug going from the main screen to the menu being slow

Calibration Description:

Manually Released 06/01/2010

Fixed GM CAN stock files 12593104, 12605422, & 12621440 to match MOS file sizes for Bug# 405.

Updated tuning for 24242131 in levels 2 & 3 for Bug# 403.
Looks like 4/20 was the last firmware update and 6/01 was the last calibration update, but the calibration update shouldn't apply to us.