Power Hungry Performance Forum Armed Forces Forum

Visit dYgYtAl Radio!

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Hydra Chip™ 17-Position Chip

Hydra Chip™ 17-Position Chip Power Hungry Performance is pleased to announce the release of the NEW Hydra Chip™ Multi-Position Chip! Redesigned from the ground up, the Hydra Chip™ provides Ford owners with a feature packed, high quality, low cost alternative to many of the existing modules on the market today.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Whopper

IdahoMike is on a distinguished road
Default Mod Valve Body Tunes

I read some where that there were 3 mod valve bodies that would not benefit from using the mod valve body tunes. I think one was Trans Go, does anyone know the other two?

Also how is line pressure applies with these tunes, constant or on demand? Just asking the same questions my mechanic who rebuilt my tranny was asking me.

Appreciate any help on this matter as I've had no luck getting through to PHP via a phone connection.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Double Whopper with Cheese

dsberman94 is on a distinguished road

The other two valve bodies and the John woods valve body and the bts valve body. No idea on the line pressure but the valve body info is on the hydra web page I believe. And yes the trans go is the third. That's what I just had installed.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:14 AM
Whopper

I spoke to Jay today at PHP about the 3 valve bodies that didn't need to run the mod body tune and he said he wasn't aware of any.

He said the best thing to do was drive the truck with & with out the mod body valve tune and see how the truck shifts. I think I have the Trans Go in my rig.

To me there is very little difference in the shifting without the mod body tune versus with the mod body tune. I would say the tunes that I've been running with the mod body shift a little smoother but hardly noticeable.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:59 AM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsberman94 View Post
The other two valve bodies and the John woods valve body and the bts valve body. No idea on the line pressure but the valve body info is on the hydra web page I believe. And yes the trans go is the third. That's what I just had installed.
"From The Hydra Web Page"

MODIFICATIONS THAT REQUIRE CUSTOM CALIBRATIONS

•Modified Injectors

•Alternate fuels (veggie oil, waste oil, trans fluid)

•Engine mods such as camshafts, compression changes, cylinder head modifications

•Modified large single or twin turbos

•Aggressive high pressure oil systems (Gen-2, Pulse, twin pump, etc.) EXCEPT for Adrenaline, SRP, and Terminator T-500

•Power Adders (Nitrous, Water/Meth, Propane)

•All Modified Transmissions except for BTS Valve Body, John Wood Valve Body, or Trans-Go Tugger Kit

I think you may be misinterpreting this information.

I read this as these 3 Valve Bodies installed in a Modified transmission "DO NOT" require "CUSTOM CALIBRATION". The tunes that come on the stock hydra chip for modified valve bodies are not custom tunes but generic tunes.

According to Jay the generic tunes for the modified valve bodies decrease line pressure in order to smooth out the hard shifting that most after market valve bodies are noted for. I would have to agree with what I've seen/felt so far. I think my Trans-Go Tugger kit is doing a pretty good job on it's own by running just the generic tunes with out the modified valve body option. I can tell it shifts a little smoother but not by much. Almost shifts like driving a nice sedan instead of a 8000# truck
Old 07-26-2013, 04:16 PM

I read it the same way you did but the way I see things being is that anything on the list that you can see without needing the special code for custom tunes is generic. That's my interpretation. What I'm trying to say is that to me a custom tune is what you have to call and order and pay for and they send you the code. Also what I see is that anything other than a stock valve body is a modified valve body. Including any of the 3 mentioned. Many times when a shift kit like ours is out in the installer will open up one of the valve bodies and make it a harder shift and those generic modified valve body tunes are to smooth out that bump you'd get due to that opened up valve body.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:18 PM

I think we're saying the same things here.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:20 PM

I never said you needed custom tunes to run a transgo kit or a John woods or a bts valve body. It just might help your shifts feel smoother to use a modified valve body tune if one of your valve bodies have been opened up a little bit.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:49 AM
Whopper

Quote:
I think we're saying the same things here.
Yes so do I
Old 07-28-2013, 01:04 AM
Whopper

Quote:
I never said you needed custom tunes to run a transgo kit or a John woods or a bts valve body. It just might help your shifts feel smoother to use a modified valve body tune if one of your valve bodies have been opened up a little bit.
Never said you did. In fact PHP's website states you do not need custom tuning if you are running one of the 3 different valve bodies.

What I couldn't understand is why they made all the generic tunes for all the high idles & whisper mode with the option of modified valve body, at least in my hex code. I asked Jay about this and he said it really makes no difference what idle tune you down load either with or with out the modified valve body option. Looks to me like they could have streamlined the library by leaving some of these options out if they didn't make any difference.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:40 AM

I have seem some people ask for the mod valve body tunes because the other generic tunes would shift really hard and slam gears without the lowering of the line pressure the the modified valve body tunes do.