Thread: Best modification yet. OR How to re-engineer $$$ of development in a weekend.

Default Best modification yet. OR How to re-engineer $$$ of development in a weekend.

After 256k miles it was time for ball joints, axle u-joints, and all of the spring and axle pivot bushings on my 1995's Twin TRASHion Beam front end. However, I didn't want to spend money on that front axle because while it did drive and handle very well, the previous owner installed an add-a-leaf setup in the front springs which made the front suspension as good as having the frame welded directly to the axle housings. I have wanted to go to a monobeam setup as long as I've owned this pickup (April of 2010) but I could not bring myself to spend $1200-$1500 on a D60 from a similar F350.

Enter a wrecked 2000 SuperDuty. There was one stipulation. ....the ride height needed to remain stock and I wasn't going to reuse the stock TTB leaf springs. All of the kits out there for swapping SD springs (or a "reverse shackle" in general) require some sort of lift because of the rear shackle mount design; the shackle is simply bolted into the existing frame-mounted spring eye bracket. This requires a similar drop to the front of the spring to maintain proper caster angle. It was decided that the SuperDuty rear shackles for the front springs were going to be mounted through the frame....as they should be. This required removal of the stock spring hangers from the 1995 frame and some creative mounting of the shackle brackets from the SD to get the proper spring pad width for the solid front axle.

It was a long process (the rear only took about 45 minutes though) but within 200 yards of driving it I was well aware that the ride and driving experience was going to make me happy instead of frustrated. The best part..... $650 for both axles with springs, mounts, all mounting hardware, steering, and a slightly more highway-friendly 3.73 gear ratio.

Don't worry about the temporary tires as they are being addressed today. 20160801_061129.jpg20160801_061043.jpg20160801_061155.jpg20160801_061227.jpg

Founding Member

Default Re: Best modification yet. OR How to re-engineer $$$ of development in a weekend.

Simply awesome. Somehow I missed this before but I was just strolling through some threads in here since I acquired a '95 F250. Its a real gem... as in a diamond in the rough... and still as carbon, not yet diamond. I'll probably post a thread on it though.

Did you measure a before and after? Maybe not a fair comparison of new to new, as the TTBs I've seen usually are sitting though the bushing, but I'm still curious on if it bumped it up an inch or so with the typical wear on the TTBs

The rear shackle looks like there is welding on the bottom portion?

I had a complete 05 frame and axles, and a 2000 front axle and suspension sitting around. I've had both for sale and it came down to a "use the one with least resale" situation. The 05 setup sold, so, I think I'm going to be copying this method. I'll get a SD rear axle later and for now, it won't bother to have 2 spares for the mismatched axles.

Founding Member

Default Re: Best modification yet. OR How to re-engineer $$$ of development in a weekend.

I read it but, but it slipped my mind in reply about the add a leaf, so the height comparisons won't match from truck to truck. The SD axle I might use is a 4.10 it will match up for now and will at least work to get the mounts fabricated.