Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter project in the works.

Default Winter project in the works.

I will keep you in suspense for a little while about what is actually happening, but the main thing to remember is that it WILL have a 7.3L Powerstroke for propulsion! Pictures will come this weekend of the beginning stages.

Default Re: Winter project in the works.

That's a little bigger than my 3.5L, my friend! Looking forward to seeing it, and wished you'd have been able to come to Vegas.

I've finally bit the bullet and ordered an SCT with custom tuning from Bill. It's finally made its way to Phoenix, so I should have it in a day or so.

- Jack
    2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 SCrew 3.5L Ecoboost

I wanted to go to Vegas but my work schedule and new family wasn't real conducive to a vacation at the time.

Founding Member

7.3 power but is it a repower? I love new projects!!!!
    2001 F250 8" lift on 40's 7.3 forged bottom, ported heads, hypermax springs, 300/300 injectors, GTX4294 custom T4 mount by me, Custom intake with AFE big boost and filter sock from Magic Smoke Performance, Terminator twin HPOP. No dyno numbers from current setup hoping for a track day before the weather turns.

It's going in something not designed for a 7.3L.....like this: http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/showt...-a-Powerstroke

Not much progress due to family events surrounding the holidays but a little teaser pic is in order.....

What is being scrapped:

xyz-46le_w_ml.jpg

Are you messing with the Grand Marquis????

gopowerhungry.com
    (678) 890-1110

Yes sir. I see things on YouTube and the internetz all the time where people put those worthless Cummins anchors in Chevelles, Chargers, and even a 1965 Galaxie. The 7.3L is much shorter than the Cummins lengthwise as well as height and there is ample room front and rear and side to side for the engine to physically fit. The transmission tunnel maybe a bit shallow but the car sits too low as is so a 2 inch body lift should fix that.

I have a complete car that is identical to my current Crown Vic which will be used for mock-up and testing purposes. That way I don't have to tear apart a running and driving car just to see if it's going to work. The only two obstacles I really foresee that will stand in my way ( and I can't fabricate on my own) are the front coil springs (easy custom order thing) and some way to get a vehicle speed sensor signal to the PCM since the AODE uses a speed sensor on the tail shaft housing and every Power Stroke out there uses a tone ring on the differential ring gear for a speed sensor input. Since I will be using an E4OD transmission, there is no vehicle speed sensor boss on its tail shaft housing. I think I can get around the PSOM issue but if I can't, I will simply use an engine, transmission, and PCM out of a SuperDuty pickup instead of an OBS and just use an ABS module for the conversion.

I have a later model engine, transmission, wiring harness, and other related parts but I would rather have a 1995 to 1997 Powertrain. One of the major obstacles may end up being the oil cooler and oil filter arrangement. I may be forced to build block off plates and weld on bungs to reroute coolant and oil to an external cooler. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

That's awesome! Very interesting project and I would really like to see how it comes along. I look around and see if I can find a way to make a speed sensor setup. I seem to recall coming across something recently. I'll let you know what I find.

In the mean time, have fun!!!

gopowerhungry.com
    (678) 890-1110

20161208_043844.jpg

This puts a damper on progress in a shop with grossly insufficient heating. When I was a younger man, that wouldn't stop me. But the older I get the less I want to work in the cold.

And that's why I don't live in Montana. LOL At least your humidity is low.

gopowerhungry.com
    (678) 890-1110

That's inside the house with all of the heaters and wood stove cranking.

It was 15 degrees warmer this morning than it was yesterday.....that's not saying much though.

Founding Member

That's not bad gonna be a sweet project for sure man I like it. I hope to be starting my own project soon enough..
    2001 F250 8" lift on 40's 7.3 forged bottom, ported heads, hypermax springs, 300/300 injectors, GTX4294 custom T4 mount by me, Custom intake with AFE big boost and filter sock from Magic Smoke Performance, Terminator twin HPOP. No dyno numbers from current setup hoping for a track day before the weather turns.

I finally got a day (first one in weeks) that is above zero with sunshine and no wind (so I can leave the shop door open for heat/light). I took off the inner fenders and all of the stuff from around the 4.6L (waiting for the radiator to drain right now) and took a whole bunch of measurements. I was truly hoping for a definite "not going to be close at all" but unfortunately, these turds called the 4.6L are HUGE and all physical dimensions and distances show that while I don't have "lots" of room, there is actually room under the hood for the 7.3L installation.....damn!! Now I have to go further with this project. I'll work on it more tomorrow as it's getting dark and cooling off quickly.

I finally got a few hours to roll around underneath the car. Realistically, I don't know why people pull the engines out of these things with the transmission disconnected. The whole shooting match comes straight out the front with the radiator and core support/grille intact with only the rear driveshaft, transmission mount (not the crossmember), and shift linkage cable to mess with. Sooooo much easier to take the transmission out with the engine and separate where bellhousing bolts can be accessed. This is the second one I've done this way and would recommend it to anyone.

I should be picking up my new-to-me 1997 7.3L engine and transmission the first week of February.

Anyway, pictures!

20170119_143026.jpg20170119_143624.jpg

I'm going to drive 720 miles round-trip on Tuesday to go get the new heart for the car.

Here's a little bit of pre-fitment before the engine mounts and oil pan were fabricated....it had to go down a LONG way!

20170211_103501.jpg

The car WILL need a body lift for the transmission tunnel to clear the transmission and so I don't have to put such a huge bump (or some type of hood scoop) on the hood to clear the high pressure oil pump reservoir. I have a feeling that I will want to make new accessory bracketry on the front of the engine because the 7.3L-specific alternator and A/C compressor mount higher than the aforementioned reservoir by about 4 inches.

It also turns out that an engine replacement I did about 9 years ago was my saving grace (and the fact that I cannot get rid of any parts) because I replaced an engine for a guy with an engine out of an Econoline. It turns out that the oil cooler headers are worlds different between an F-series and a van. The F-series cooler was in no way going to fit because of interference issues with the steering gearbox. The van cooler sits about 3" lower BUT about 1.5" farther inward (tucked into the block rather than sticking out beyond the exhaust manifold) and also angles the oil filter backwards and straight down vs. forward/inward like the pickups.

What else??? Uh, just waiting on an engine to install the engine mounts and modified oil pan/oil cooler and see where I am.......

Well, it turns out that the guy with the engine and transmission that I was supposed to go get oversold and under delivered. I drove 780 miles round trip to go look at an engine that has been sitting in the elements for 8 years. I sure wish he would have told me that instead of "just a couple" before I left. I took batteries and jumper cables so I could at least crank it... It's a good thing too, because there were two or three cylinders that didn't have any compression. I have four of those kind of engines already sitting in the shed; I don't need any more.
    Last edited by cleatus12r; 02-17-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Here's last week's oil pan project. I gained an inch and a half in the front and almost three inches in the rear. The sump should fit just about flush with the bottom of the engine crossmember.

20170217_143215.jpg 20170217_143201.jpg

Engine mounts are done. The weather isn't as nice today and working in a heavy coat sucks, especially with a hood while rolling around on a creeper.

The engine will sit up about another 1/4" in the actual car the 7.3L is going in (since I refuse to weld the mounts to the frame in this junk car just to remove them or build another set later). Ignore the bird poop welds on the bottom of the oil pan; I decided to TIG that and found that I really, REALLY need a welding table with a chair as standing up while running a foot pedal and holding a pan, torch, and rod at the same time makes it impossible. It's sealed though....and nobody will see it once it's painted.

I had to go back to the pickup oil cooler headers too. I got the engine to sit low enough that the Econoline one rested on the crossmember. The worst part though is that I have to now buy the parts to remotely mount an oil filter. The van header tilted the filter rearward while the pickup one sits right up against the engine crossmember and puts the oil filter through the lower control arm mount. GRRRRR.

20170220_155621.jpg20170220_155739.jpg20170220_155809.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast