Thread: Hex codes questions

Founding Member

Default Hex codes questions

Hi, I'm curious, what kind of damage can I do to my hydra or pcm if I installed the incorrect hex code? How do I determine what he codes are the correct ones I need? Thank you, DS.
    Last edited by wvmudder; 12-29-2016 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Typo

Default Re: Hex codes questions

Technically, it wouldn't cause any damage to use an incorrect calibration strategy. The truck may not start, or if it does it may not function 100%, but it shouldn't break anything.

With that said, the easiest way to determine the HEX is to locate the BOX code on the connector of the PCM (TDE1, PMT1, XLE4, or something like that), open the HydraFlash software, go to the [Tools] menu, and then select [Box/HEX conversion]. In the Box Code drop down dialog, select the appropriate Box Code that was located on your PCM. The dialog will display the corresponding HEX Code along with any suggestions for Recommended Preferred Calibration further down in the window. Make sure to follow the suggestions for preferred calibration, if there is any.

If you have any further questions or need any additional assistance, please let us know.

Take care and have a Happy New Year!

gopowerhungry.com
    (678) 890-1110

Founding Member

Thank you very much for the fast reply! Greatly appreciate the information!! Hope you all have a happy, healthy new year!!

is there a table or a chart of what hex codes go with each other best? as im using correct tunes atm but other tunes worked well but were not for my truck as i have a manual and the clutch work not disengage cruse control but my cruse control lite does not work on stoke tune but on other tunes it works.

g4, welcome to the forum.

I don't think "hex" codes work the way you think. As far as I know, the "hex code" is the identification of the particular software in your PCM. It's kind of like the "name" of the specific program that was installed there, either at the factory, or at a dealership during a reflash. As such, tuning programs are then written to apply specific changes to that named program, using a knowledge of that program's characteristics. If the name is wrong, the changes will be wrong and may prevent the vehicle from starting (if the changes can be accepted by the PCM).

Unless two vehicles are "identical", it is highly unlikely they will have the same hex code.

If your tuning is from PHP and you're having problems, you should call PHP.

- Jack
    2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 SCrew 3.5L Ecoboost

ok its not that im having problems its just little things that were wrong from the start before i even brought the php hydra chip just seeing if there is a way to per say fix the tunes by using other tunes

If you have a Hydra, call PHP and ask them. I'm not really very knowledgeable about the Hydra or diesel engines.

- Jack

Founding Member

G4 what calibration is your truck and what are you using ? The code is specifically written for individual trucks. You can use auto tunes on manual trucks and vice versa but it is not suggested because you loose function of the nuteral safety. If you UST the Hydra tool to input your hex code it will give you the suggested calibration to use.
    2001 F250 8" lift on 40's 7.3 forged bottom, ported heads, hypermax springs, 300/300 injectors, GTX4294 custom T4 mount by me, Custom intake with AFE big boost and filter sock from Magic Smoke Performance, Terminator twin HPOP. No dyno numbers from current setup hoping for a track day before the weather turns.

VIAE9GD but i dont recall what i was using