Thread: New to me 7.3 questions

PHP Member

Default New to me 7.3 questions

How's it going guys?

Recently picked up a '96 F250 and had some tuning questions, this is my first diesel and also my first vehicle that has had tuning modifications so please bare with me here. Just wanting to verify that I'm running the truck under the right parameters or get it there if it's not.

I'm the 3rd owner, 1st owner installed Rosewood stage II 160cc injectors, 2nd owner from what I can collect has never gotten any custom tunes. I'm assuming the 1st owner did or this truck would not be running at all.

I haven't hooked the chip up to Hydraflash yet, but the 2nd owner said when he hooked up the truck was in position 2 under the lowest tow mode setting, he just looked at everything and never changed it. It runs really well as of right now, but obviously running stage II injectors doesnt allow you to run the can tunes. I don't want to cycle through the tunes that are on the truck and cause any issues so I've left it in position 2 as well.

Is there a way for me to datalog with the Hydra chip and send a file off to be looked at to see if changes need to be made?
    When I hook up to Hydraflash, is there a way for me to see if the tunes loaded are custom tunes or the standard ones?

This is going to be my daily driver, really just need the ole girl to be running smooth on the weekdays and maybe have a fun slot for the weekends.

Thanks in advance for your help!

PHP Member

Default Re: New to me 7.3 questions

Update, hooked up the computer to the chip and position 2 was running the 25hp tow tune in FA20MOI configuration, position 3 was a 65HP daily tune running a different FA20**** code which would explain why the truck died when I switched to it today for the first time. Scrolling through the different tune calibrations there were no FA20MOI tunes. Can anyone throw me a bone here?

I know next to nothing about diesels, but it seems rather clear that the FA20MOI code is the one you need for tunes that will work on your truck.

You should call PHP Monday about this and talk to Jay or one of their other diesel folks. They're on the East coast, so they operate on Eastern Daylight time. I'm sure they can get your chip programmed correctly. This forum is not the most active one in the world and you could wait a long time before you got a solution here.

- Jack
    2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 SCrew 3.5L Ecoboost

PHP Member

Will do, thanks!

Founding Member

The FA20MOI file name is tied to the LKM2 computer code on the PCM. This also correlates to the DPC-202 hardware "build" of the PCM(hope that is right way to say it).

You can use any filenames for the DPC-202 computer, BUT, all files on a single chip burn must be the same. This is why it dies as you have found out. It seems like the most popular computer code for OBS autos is the TDE1, or VCAB0_02.

There is a calibration list that provides all this info that used to be on the older PHP website. I'm not sure where it is right now.

Here's what you need to see.

"Tools" in menu bar (green).

Insert your current HEX code or box code (red).

See the recommended calibration (blue).
    Box Hex Conversion.JPG

JTR, follow the advice cleatus12r gave you. I was hoping he'd check in. He knows what he's talking about.

- Jack