Thread: Chasing EGTs

Default Chasing EGTs

I'm trying to get to the bottom of some high EGTs while towing my 24' box trailer.
    Even in the heavy tow tune I'm having to back out of the throttle due to over 1300 temps.
    The temps were actually easier to control in the 100hp performance tune.

I'm running a 38r turbo with stock injectors, 6637 air filter, 4" turbo back exhaust, no exhaust backpressure valve and PHP tuning on the Hydra.
    In the 100 tune I could maintain 20psi on the long hills, it will peak at around 32.
    On the normal pulls it seemed to have just a psi or so more than my uncle pulling with a stock turbo and similar setup.
    I'm not thinking there's any leak......
    The uppipe shows just a touch of soot. Running doughnuts gaskets at the Y. IMG_2144.jpg
    When I bought the truck I found a manifold leak, that was fixed with a gasket. I see no signs of leak there.

Thought of going back to my original turbo and installing a WW2 but the side-side shaft play may be borderline.
    It's not hitting the housing but measured at the end of the intake shaft it was reading 0.020"
    There's no in-out play.

This truck needs to be a tow monster as that's it's main purpose even though I don't get out much. Our local track closed so I'm looking at a 3 hour tow when I go to the track.

Main reason for this post was to show my EGT probe location.
    Doing a search it seems most people put it in right at the end of the manifold by the uppipe.
    This couldn't cause any issues could it?
    IMG_2141.jpg

Been curious if the Edge Insight probe could be reading incorrectly.
    Ever heard of any issues with one?
    Hate to spend the $$ on a new probe just to check.

Trying to figure out best way to fix the EGT concern so I can pull like a champ!
    Thanks for any help.
    2001 F250 4x4 Lariat crew cab short bed. PHP Hydra, RRD Billet Wheel, Turbo Master Wastegate Controller, 4" Magnaflow SS exhaust, EBPV delete, DIY 6637, AIH delete, Edge Insight for gauges, RRD Plenum Inserts, Updated Boots, rebuilt Trans, billet TC, Transgo Tugger kit
    +65 Falcon drag car with 289

Founding Member

Default Re: Chasing EGTs

How heavy is your trailer ? That does sound a bit hot for the setup have you tried towing in bypass ? What kind of ICP is the truck making when it's getting hot?
    2001 F250 8" lift on 40's 7.3 forged bottom, ported heads, hypermax springs, 300/300 injectors, GTX4294 custom T4 mount by me, Custom intake with AFE big boost and filter sock from Magic Smoke Performance, Terminator twin HPOP. No dyno numbers from current setup hoping for a track day before the weather turns.

Hey Andrew. Thanks for the response.

I'd say the weight is between 6,000-7,000 pounds.
    The enclosed does shove a lot of wind, even with the V-nose.

I did not try bypass mode. Seems with the 38R it may make it worse but I don't know.

I didn't check IPC when towing but pulled it up on my Edge Insight later on.
    Seeing over 3200psi on the gauge with a quick stab of the throttle.
    Not sure if this is a reading or command though.....

I've got a thread going on another forum discussing all kinds of things about this.

Here's an update of what's going on.
    -Don't think I have a boost leak but built a tester and will be checking soon.
    -Ordered a Riffraff billet wheel for my stock turbo. Based on discussions with PHP and a couple other parts dealers, the 38R doesn't always work the best with stock injectors. A billet wheel stock turbo is a tried and true, known to work combination with my setup and goal. 38R is coming off and the old turbo going back on (unless I find something obnoxious with the boost leak check).
    -Ordered bellowed up pipes to squash any future up pipe leaks. Didn't realize you could get them so cheap now. $120 on Amazon. Seemed like a good investment while I had the turbo off.
    -will wrap the up pipes as well.
    2001 F250 4x4 Lariat crew cab short bed. PHP Hydra, RRD Billet Wheel, Turbo Master Wastegate Controller, 4" Magnaflow SS exhaust, EBPV delete, DIY 6637, AIH delete, Edge Insight for gauges, RRD Plenum Inserts, Updated Boots, rebuilt Trans, billet TC, Transgo Tugger kit

Founding Member

Sounds like a good plan boss. That 38R is overrated IMO I had one from a set of stock injectors all the way up to a 300/200 it did the job but I really like my T4. I have a buddy that did an SXE 369 on his stock injector truck and couldn't break 1100 EGT in his hot tune towing 12k. Turbo makes all the difference. If it's holding ICP that's good stock turbo with a WW2 is a good setup.
    2001 F250 8" lift on 40's 7.3 forged bottom, ported heads, hypermax springs, 300/300 injectors, GTX4294 custom T4 mount by me, Custom intake with AFE big boost and filter sock from Magic Smoke Performance, Terminator twin HPOP. No dyno numbers from current setup hoping for a track day before the weather turns.

38R being overrated is what I keep hearing now. When I bought it 7 years ago everyone just raved over it. Most people on the forums still think it's the stuff.
    But when I talk to the experts at PHP, KC Turbos, etc they all say it's overrated especially with stock injectors.

I appreciate the information you've shared and for giving me the vote that I'm making the right decision.
    Waiting for the parts to arrive then hopefully can jump in and get this done.

The 38R can get obnoxious on the sound but I have to admit I'm gonna miss the whistle a little. Not the overbearing 38R noise but from what I understand the billet wheels are pretty quite.

Founding Member

Well report back what you think and if you decide you need more air we can discuss the T4 options.

Founding Member

With the mention of ICP reading and not sure if commanded or actual, it got me thinking of IPR duty cycle and a weak HPOP... however all the 7.3s or 6.0s that I have driven and had a failing HPOP have felt like they hit a brick wall or snag an anchor with applied throttle after a certain point. You could see if the IPR duty cycle is maxing out. I'm not thinking it is likely, but just a thought and could be a pretty quick check on the insight.

It's too bad if it ends up being the 38R. I can remember all the rage about them on the forums as well.

OK folks a quick update. Well I'll try to be quick, but I'm not known for being short of words.

I purchased a Riffraff Diesel Billet wheel for the stock turbo, plenum inserts, and lower boots (already had the uppers)
    Also ordered an Alpha Dog Bellowed Up pipe kit from Amazon. It fit perfectly. Later did find some others cheaper on eBay but oh well. (ordered a $67 kit for my dad's truck today, I'll let you know how it fits)
    Put those items on about a week ago and just a little local driving, no towing yet.

Survey says: This is the most responsive the truck has ever been since I've owned it.
    The stock with billet wheel seems to have much better tip in feel and overall driveability.
    With the 38R I had to keep pushing the throttle further and further as the speed increased when trying to accelerate normally (I know this sounds silly but trust me it was weird), now with normal throttle it accelerates as I believe it should.
    So far I am VERY happy with the choice.
    The 38R just seemed to be a top breathing animal. Not really suited for what I was doing. Not sure why it is so highly praised in all the forums. And it's also obnoxiously loud, I mean I like the whistle, but the 38R is a bit overbearing.
    I know the up pipes had a small leak before, but they didn't when I first installed the 38R so I don't really think that's a true factor in the change in responsiveness of the truck.

Now on to the other stuff.
    I did make a boost checker and tried it before taking off the 38R and again after installing the stock turbo.
    This did not work out so well.
    I'm not sure if the truck was supposed to be warm when checking but it was blowing back through the CCV.
    I had the checker installed into the turbo hose (blocked off wastegate hose hole).
    The compressor only had around 30psi in the tank so the fill wasn't real quick.
    It would bleed off quickly through the CCV. I did plug the CCV with my thumb and hold around 10psi, no other leaks noticed.
    So now I'm wondering if my precious 90K 7.3L has a burnt piston ring or such?

I used the Turbo Master wastegate controller from the 38R for the new setup.
    Max boost in 140HP has been 29psi even after cranking a few turns into the controller.
    Comparing MAP pressure to EBP readings on the Insight it seems to hit 45 EBP with around 39 MAP maybe. Can't remember exactly but it was around 6psi difference. Is that ok for the thrust bearing? Of course this is including atmospheric on both readings.
    I'd read where other members with stock injectors were seeing 33psi or more (on boost gauge) with this wheel. Not that I'm crying over a few psi, just wondering if I have something amiss.....
    I was also thinking the wastegate controller may be best set by the EBP since that's what actually opens it. I'd think EBP or ratio between the 2 is what we're really trying to control here. What's your thoughts on this?
    Or should I just remove the Turbo Master and go back to a good, normal controller? With or without the hose?

Thanks for all the help folks!

F-127,
    I'm not sure about the IPR duty cycle, what should it be reading?
    Like I mentioned, the ICP goes up REALLY quickly but not sure if that's a reading or command.
    The truck has never felt bad or hit a brick wall. The only complaint was in the lower RPM range. With the 38R it came on strong up top.