Thread: 5.4L custom tunes question

PHP Member

Default 5.4L custom tunes question

Hello, I have some custom tunes and a Gryphon tuner that I've been running since 2011 and I have noticed recently that under hard acceleration at free way speeds there is a lot of hesitation and shuddering. I reset the PCM to the factor program and the issue does not occur. I can't say for sure if its always been this way because the truck is mostly a commuter vehicle and I does not see a lot of highway miles. Are there any setting I can change via the tuner to help resolve this?

Default Re: 5.4L custom tunes question

You don't say what model year your truck is, or if it has ever had a plug, injector, or COP change. Is the air filter clean?

A tune will tend to exaggerate some mechanical defects, since it "expects" a truck that is in perfect shape. The stock tune is more forgiving, because parameters are not dialed to the "bleeding edge".

I'd also like to know if there is any particular RPM this is happening at, and when you say "hard acceleration", do you mean Wide Open Throttle (WOT), or is this at some throttle setting below that? Is it occurring at or near the gear upshift points? It's possible you have the Maximum RPM set too low for upshifts during WOT acceleration. What is your Max RPM limit? Where are the WOT upshift points?

- Jack
    2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 SCrew 3.5L Ecoboost

PHP Member

Oops, sorry for that, let me clarify. Its a 2007 Screw with Rouche KAI and exhaust and Troyer underdrive pulleys. The plugs were replaced last year by For dealership. I did mean to say WOT when I mentioned hard acceleration. I didn't note the RPMs when the issue happened so I will try to get those numbers this week. I have also not poked around inside the tunes to see what the various limits and shift points are, I'll get those too.

PHP Member

Looking at the 87 octane performance tune I got from PHP, looks like pretty much all the settings are stock. Rev limiter is 4201 RPM. WOT Fuel is stock 1.10 value. And all the other settings are stock as well. I've attached a few pics to help explain. gryphon_87oct-1.jpggryphon_87oct-2.jpggryphon_87oct-3.jpg

Now I'm curious what the 87 performance tune changes if most of the values are stock settings.

OK, I think your Rev Limit is too low. It sounds like in WOT, you hit the limit before the shift can actually take place, so it cuts off fuel and spark until the revs drop, then it starts firing again only to repeat the process, because the shift point is actually above that RPM. Set the Rev Limit to 5600. Don't go higher, because you begin to balloon the torque converter above that limit. You probably won't be able to complete a WOT 3-4 upshift though, so just back off on the throttle a bit to let it complete.

- Jack