Thread: Cold start

PHP Member

Default Cold start

Hey Ya'll,
    New to forums. Dunno what I'm doin, but unless I put a target out there I wont know if'n I hit it!

2003 7.3 Auto Last Gen!! Problem: Newly installed evolution cts2, & mag-hytec tranny pan.
    Running in any of the 3 programs cold start is cranking, cranking, cranking and when she does fire it's rough and white out smokey.

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks

Founding Member

Default Re: Cold start

Is it acting up with the Evolution returned to stock as well? If not, I think it may be coincidental. The next time, before you begin the cold start, pull the plug on the HPOP reservoir and check the level. If the oil level is bleeding down you will get an extended crank. If an injector o-ring is leaking down, that bank will run rough for a moment and you'll get the smoke as well.

If you still have the black plastic engine cover, the plug is pretty much right under it. I think it will be an Allen bit on that truck. It should be within about and inch of top.

If it's down, then there is some diagnostics if you want to determine one bank or the other.

PHP Member

No she purrs like she's supposed to. Only when programmed she balks. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a looksee in the next few days n let ya know.

PHP Member

Ran stock program with no issues. Run the towing program along with plugging her in at nite, no cold start issues. I'm thinking there is too much fuel being asked for running the programs and in cold cylinders it struggles whereas running the programs and plugging her in has the glow plugs warming the cylinders along with the transfer of heat from the plug in. No cold start issues. Kinda hoping Bill would weigh in on this since he wrote the programs. I emailed him bout 3 weeks ago and he hasn't had time to respond yet.
    Thanks for the help people!

I'd call PHP and tell them your problem. I think you'll get faster results that way.

- Jack
    2014 F150 Platinum 4x4 SCrew 3.5L Ecoboost

PHP Member

Not a bad thought, thanks.
    Know the number?
    Anyone else who has this or similar challenges?
    With camping right round the corner I'd really like to problem solve but plan B is to warm up pull over program and continue. Also, I've planned ahead with a generator so I plug her in in remote locals too!! Thoughts, ideas, concerns??