Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > Ham Radio Discussion

Ham Radio Discussion
Whether you are a licensed Amateur Radio operator, or just curious about what it's all about, come join us!

Old Wed, July 31st, 2024, 05:02 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of
Smile Anyone on here a HAM?

In May of 2023, I got my first amateur radio license, something I actually been wanting to do for many years. It was the Technician Class license and I was assigned the call sign KQ4ITN.

I had put it off for a long time, and the only reason I even got my butt in gear and took my FCC test was because I had picked up a portable radio that not only operated on FRS frequencies, but also operated on the 2m and 70cm frequencies as well. I figured that I might as well take the test and see what it's all about.

Armed with my little Baofeng F8-HP, a 25W amplifier, and a pretty decent antenna, I was able to hit a few local repeaters and make some contacts. Talk about exciting! I very quickly upgraded my handheld to a Yaesu FT-65 and installed a Comet GP-9 on my house, and I was able to really reach out. Of course, bigger is better, so I then bought the Yaesu FT-991A station and started setting up my official "Radio Shack" in my office.

This situation lasted about 3 months when I decided that I really wanted to give the HF world a try. At the end of August, I submitted my paperwork to change my call sign and then took my General and my Amateur Extra class tests. Passed them both the first time, with my Extra passing grade at 100%! Yes, I do like math.

Here we are now, nearly a year later, and I've made contacts all over the world, covered all 50 states, and have even built some of my own equipment. This has been an absolutely fascinating hobby and I'm really kind of kicking myself that I didn't do this much sooner. All those years wasted, but it's all good. I'm doing it now and having a blast!

If anyone cares to reach out to me, my call sign is WD4AMC and you can check my QRZ page here: https://www.qrz.com/db/WD4AMC

I look forward to seeing you on the air!

God bless and 73.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, July 31st, 2024, 05:51 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Congrats Bill -

I had no idea you were interested in HAM radio. Back in the old days, you had to learn Morse Code to get a license. Is that still a requirement? I had to learn it to be an Air Force pilot, since navigation radios at that time only identified themselves with a 3-letter Morse Code sequence. The one at Laughlin AFB in Texas, where I went through pilot training was "DLF" (Dah-dit-dit, Dit-dah-dit-dit, Dit-dit-dah-dit).

Weird how I remember that now - 59 years ago!

- Jack
Old Thu, August 1st, 2024, 02:37 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

In 2006, the FCC dropped the Morse Code requirements for an amateur radio license. If I'd had know that earlier, I probably would have gotten my license sooner. Ah well, it's not a big deal. I did it and I'm really enjoying it now.

I have several radios, inluding a variety of handhelds, mobile, and base station radios. I stick mostly to the voice (phone) bands, but occasionally will take a peek at the digital stuff. Just not really my thing.

Over the last year, it's been great fun meeting and talking to people all over the world. Like forums, there are cool people and there are also knuckleheads, or lids as they're called. Overall the experience has been positive, but I'm really quite surprised at the lack of FCC regulation over the amateur bands in regards to some of these individuals. Not that I'm in favor of more regulations.

If you have any interest, this my ham radio page on our website. It has some really good pictures of the equipment.

https://thecohrons.com/billcohron/ham.shtml

Enjoy!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!

Tags
amateur, ham, radio, wd4amc