Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Phoenix Switch-On-The-Fly Chip (DISCOUNTINUED) (Disabled)

Phoenix Switch-On-The-Fly Chip (DISCOUNTINUED) (Disabled)
Power Hungry no longer sells the Phoenix/TS chip, but if you need custom tuning we can recommend a few really good tuners that will be able to still provide tuning and support for your chip.

If you have any other questions or comments about the Phoenix/TS chip, please post it here.

Old Mon, April 9th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Whopper Junior

zimms is on a distinguished road
Default ordering Phoenix chip?

I've got some questions, I hope this doesn't get to long but wanted to try here before calling and yes I have been through these forums a couple of times and come up with different answers for some of these questions.
I have a pre 99 7.3 powerstroke with 168000 and XLE4 pcm program with
-stage one intake with zoodad mod(took out some of the front grill to have kind of a forced air intake
-4 inch exhaust
-amsoil bypass oil filter
-regulated return system with bigger fuel line with the pump set at 72 psi
-tripple disc. torque converter with a transgo shift kit with amsoil synthetic installed
-bigger tires(275/70R18) the speedo has been calibrated by ford and checked with gps and is accurate.
-A fuel pedal that uses lighter pressure to accelerate, sounds weird but I love it if I can't use cruise control.
I have a superchips programer installed with hiperf tow mode installed and like how it runs and shifts but hoping for more power at times and better fuel economy. I will get 20 on the freeway going 70 and that is checking it with a calculator at the pump many times. I fill up at the same station as much as I can.

I want to get these programs
1. stock/high idle 1100
2. econ fuel sipper? don't know if this exists
3. 80 hp dd
4. 80 light tow- I have a 7000# trailer I tow in the winter.
5. 120 or 140 hp program
6. no start/wisper mode
would like to slip the no start mode in but not as important.
questions are:
- can I and how do you order online the stock/high idle combined and no start/wisper mode combined?
-is there such a thing as econ fuel sipper program and can I still take it on the freeway for a couple of miles? Would i be better off ordering the 60 hp econ program?
It says the 60 hp is econ for better fuel mileage on the freeway and the 80 hp econ is better for stop and go is there a big difference for mileage
-Don't know which one to get the 120 or 140 hp tunes( don't know if I will get the full potential or is it a waste of a position?
-I have a 15000# fifth wheel can I still tow it in stock mode?
-I have the tripple disc. torque convertor and transgo shift kit and like how it shifts now. Do I still have to get the modified download or do I need it to control how hard it will shift with the increased hp?
-I want to get the REV-X to add to my oil, does it really work and how do I order it?
If there is anything else I have missed or that might benefit me to add please let me know.
thanks
Old Mon, April 9th, 2012, 08:29 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimms View Post
I've got some questions, I hope this doesn't get to long but wanted to try here before calling and yes I have been through these forums a couple of times and come up with different answers for some of these questions.
I have a pre 99 7.3 powerstroke with 168000 and XLE4 pcm program with
-stage one intake with zoodad mod(took out some of the front grill to have kind of a forced air intake
-4 inch exhaust
-amsoil bypass oil filter
-regulated return system with bigger fuel line with the pump set at 72 psi
-tripple disc. torque converter with a transgo shift kit with amsoil synthetic installed Will require custom tunes.
-bigger tires(275/70R18) the speedo has been calibrated by ford and checked with gps and is accurate.
-A fuel pedal that uses lighter pressure to accelerate, sounds weird but I love it if I can't use cruise control.
I have a superchips programer installed with hiperf tow mode installed and like how it runs and shifts but hoping for more power at times and better fuel economy. More power and better fuel economy WILL NOT happen at the same time and it's likely that you won't get better fuel economy anyway.I will get 20 on the freeway going 70 and that is checking it with a calculator at the pump many times. I fill up at the same station as much as I can.

1. stock/high idle 1100
2. econ fuel sipper? don't know if this exists Does not exist. It's hard to guarantee a fuel mileage increase.
3. 80 hp dd
5. 120 or 140 hp program
6. no start/wisper mode
questions are:
- can I and how do you order online the stock/high idle combined and no start/wisper mode combined? There are plenty of places to write in optional desires/wants with custom tuning.
-is there such a thing as econ fuel sipper program and can I still take it on the freeway for a couple of miles? Would i be better off ordering the 60 hp econ program? There are no "economy" programs because there is no way for us to guarantee increased fuel economy.
It says the 60 hp is econ for better fuel mileage on the freeway and the 80 hp econ is better for stop and go is there a big difference for mileage The 65 and 80 "daily driver" programs will make the truck more responsive and either are good for the same purpose. The 80 will simply make 15 more RWHP if you happen to stomp on the accelerator pedal (which negates any favorable fuel economy anyway).
-Don't know which one to get the 120 or 140 hp tunes( don't know if I will get the full potential or is it a waste of a position? You won't get the full 120 OR 140 RWHP increase from either. In all honesty, the 100 Performance program will give you all you can get from your truck without all of that disgusting black smoke from a dead-stop.
-I have a 15000# fifth wheel can I still tow it in stock mode? Yes.
-I have the tripple disc. torque convertor and transgo shift kit and like how it shifts now. Do I still have to get the modified download or do I need it to control how hard it will shift with the increased hp? You will need to order custom tuning because standard programming will cause your shifts to be far too harsh.
-I want to get the REV-X to add to my oil, does it really work and how do I order it? It's not really designed to be helpful with the 7.3L (more of a 6.0L thing), but there is an order form for that on the website too.
If there is anything else I have missed or that might benefit me to add please let me know.
thanks

See replies in Red.
Old Mon, April 9th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Whopper Junior

By the more power and better fuel economy, I meant better fuel economy with the 80 dd and more power with the 120/140 hp tunes. I've read on here that you get a lot more power with the chip then with the superchip programmer stock. Im hoping there is better fuel economy to be had also with the programs from the chip. I'm not big into racing all the time but once in a while its nice to turn up the power.
Old Mon, April 9th, 2012, 09:47 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
By the more power and better fuel economy, I meant better fuel economy with the 80 dd and more power with the 120/140 hp tunes. I've read on here that you get a lot more power with the chip then with the superchip programmer stock. Im hoping there is better fuel economy to be had also with the programs from the chip. I'm not big into racing all the time but once in a while its nice to turn up the power.

You will get about the same amount of power out of anybody's tuning as you will out of your current programmer.

Tuning is not able to achieve more than about 100 RWHP increase in a 99-03 truck with stock injectors regardless of who does the tuning.

Do NOT buy aftermarket programming to get better fuel economy. If we could write programming that would guarantee better fuel economy, we'd corner the market and put everyone else out of business. You're sure as heck not going to beat a bona fide 20 MPG that you claim you're getting now.

I'm not saying this to scare away a sale, but I'm not going to lie your ear off and have you irritated with PHP's products because they didn't deliver what you "heard" on an internet forum somewhere.
Old Mon, April 9th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Whopper Junior

Thanks, I appreciate your honesty.
Old Tue, April 10th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Whopper Junior

towrig1 is on a distinguished road

If I may offer another perspective. I have a similar setup on my 00 F350 DRW. Intake, exhaust and a full ATS transmission upgrade with billet torque converter. I also had the Superchips programmer set with a "tow" tune as I also have a 15000lb fifth wheel. I hated the shift points with the Superchips....2-3 and 3-4 were sometimes too close and TCC lockup was sometimes thrown in with each shift really pulling down rpms at shifts.

After much research and some of what Cleatus was saying about needing custom tunes for the shifting...I decided to get the PHP shelf tunes and see how the results turned out.

Result? Perfect. Shifts much better than the old Superchips ever did. Power is fantastic in the 100 Performance tune and the shifts are fine with all the tunes. I have the built trans with the ATS shift kit and the shelf tunes are better than the Superchips in all phases.

My choices were...
1. Stock
2. 25hp tow tune
3. 65hp tow tune
4. 65hp daily driver
5. 100hp performance
6. No start

Good luck.

Quote:
1. stock/high idle 1100
2. econ fuel sipper? don't know if this exists
3. 80 hp dd
5. 120 or 140 hp program
6. no start/wisper mode
questions are:
- can I and how do you order online the stock/high idle combined and no start/wisper mode combined?
-is there such a thing as econ fuel sipper program and can I still take it on the freeway for a couple of miles? Would i be better off ordering the 60 hp econ program?
It says the 60 hp is econ for better fuel mileage on the freeway and the 80 hp econ is better for stop and go is there a big difference for mileage
-Don't know which one to get the 120 or 140 hp tunes( don't know if I will get the full potential or is it a waste of a position?
-I have a 15000# fifth wheel can I still tow it in stock mode?
-I have the tripple disc. torque convertor and transgo shift kit and like how it shifts now. Do I still have to get the modified download or do I need it to control how hard it will shift with the increased hp?
-I want to get the REV-X to add to my oil, does it really work and how do I order it?
thanks
Old Tue, April 10th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Whopper Junior

That is what I'm thinking is for the towing alone would be a plus. I would like th whisper mode also but have to be careful which position I put it in for warm up purposes in the morning with auto start. I don't know if I need the tow program for the fifth wheel, I don't tow it much and can set back to stock if I do.