Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion.

Old Fri, August 9th, 2024, 03:34 PM
Whopper Junior

wjb5150 is on a distinguished road
Default Hard shifting after PHP install

I have a 2002 F250 4X4 crew 8ft bed automatic that I bought used in 2006, its been a great truck. It currently has 103,500K miles with a new set of injectors at 98K miles.

I've had a superchip on it since 2011 and it did fine but I wanted something easier and better so I landed on the Hydra. First thing I did was to reset the PCM back to factory with the superchip and then installed the PHP. This truck doesn't have any mods and is basically stock with the exception of a 4" exhaust.

I love the PHP and can tell a huge difference in the way it runs and downshifts etc. My wife loves the pulling power for her gooseneck horse trailer.

My only issue is that in every tune it shifts extremely hard so I keep it on stock for the most part. It even shifts hard on modified stock. When in stock mode you can barely feel it shift as it's super smooth. Below are my settings for your reference, any thoughts?

PCM - VDH4
Hex code from scan - TNAA5S8
Desired calibration (installed) - TNAA4S2

Thank you!
Old Fri, August 9th, 2024, 04:55 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Are you running the standard files or the "Hybrid Shift" files?

In most cases, swapping to the Hybrid Shift versions really helps the shifting. I'd give a couple of those a try and let me know. I've run these and the only complaint I usually get is that the shift points seem a little odd because of the way the converter is handled, and people just aren't used to it. The strategy is actually built off the 1999-2001 shift strategies which had a different feel, so people can get a little confused when it shifts differently.

As an aside, you may also want to throw one or two of the Modified Valve Body tunes on for testing as well. They have all the line and shift pressure modifications removed and might help alleviate the firm shifting as well.

Let me know how it works out and we can investigate further if needed.

Have a great weekend!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, August 9th, 2024, 07:02 PM
Whopper Junior

Thanks Bill, I'll give that a try this evening and let you know.
Old Fri, August 9th, 2024, 08:45 PM
Whopper Junior

Hey Bill! I was running the standard files and tested a few with some great success! The "Hybrid Shift" files are very smooth shifting and the shift timing is little different but I like it. The "Modified Valve Body" tunes were a bit more aggressive in the shifting so I won't be using those.

I did load the 65 HP Fuel sipper with the modified valve body as there isn't one for the hybrid shift but it's still better than the standard file.

Thanks for all your help and you have a great weekend as well!

Bill B.