Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Phoenix Switch-On-The-Fly Chip (DISCOUNTINUED) (Disabled)

Phoenix Switch-On-The-Fly Chip (DISCOUNTINUED) (Disabled)
Power Hungry no longer sells the Phoenix/TS chip, but if you need custom tuning we can recommend a few really good tuners that will be able to still provide tuning and support for your chip.

If you have any other questions or comments about the Phoenix/TS chip, please post it here.

Old Tue, May 1st, 2012, 05:51 PM
Whopper

Highbeam is on a distinguished road
Default Blended with whisper, towing

It's my birthday and am ready to get myself a Phoenix. My plan is stock/65tow/1100hi-idle/80DD/100perf/no start.

Truck is a 2000 F350 PSD, Ford AIS, AM gauges, 4" exhaust, automatic trans, big trans cooler, stock lift and tires. Daily driven truck with 235 factory horsepower.

I tow a 7000 lb trailer/tractor combo but more importantly a 30' travel trailer that weighs 8000lb.

1) From what I have read here, whisper mode can be blended with all tunes for quieter idle. Is there a negative side to this? I would like my truck to be quieter at idle but don't want to screw anything up. My current idle rpm is 675. Does the whisper tune wash lube from the cylinders, damage injectors, high fuel consumption, any side effects at all? I realize that it won't whisper until fully warmed. Is there an additional cost to adding whisper to all my driver tunes?

2) Is the 65 HP tow tune (7500-10,000#) the proper tune to get for high reliability towing my 8000# RV trailer? or should I get a conservative 40 HP tune? Do the tow tunes cause EGT problems?

I'm really looking forward to pumping up the power. Been driving the truck for 30,000 miles without a chip while building up the truck in preparation. I also have added a real class V hitch, lowered the rear end to F250 height, zoodad mod, lots of maintenance.
Old Tue, May 1st, 2012, 10:29 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbeam View Post

1) From what I have read here, whisper mode can be blended with all tunes for quieter idle. Is there a negative side to this? It idles slowly and slightly quieter when warm. Does the whisper tune wash lube from the cylinders, damage injectors, high fuel consumption, any side effects at all? Extended idling periods are probably not the best thing in the world when idling quietly, but the couple of minutes most people spend in drive-through windows won't hurt anything.I realize that it won't whisper until fully warmed. Is there an additional cost to adding whisper to all my driver tunes? No.

2) Is the 65 HP tow tune (7500-10,000#) the proper tune to get for high reliability towing my 8000# RV trailer? You can use it (as that's what the website says).or should I get a conservative 40 HP tune? Do the tow tunes cause EGT problems? This is the #1 reason that different power levels are available. Higher horsepower levels at sustained high load will experience higher EGT.
See replies in red.
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 02:32 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1997!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Windows™ 11 is garbage!

Much to my surprise, I'm actually quite enjoying Linux!
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 10:58 AM
Whopper

The whisper tune is starting to scare me a bit after seeing the youtube video from PHP. Seems the idle drops way down and with you folks suggesting that it really isn't a good idea to idle for more than a minute or two I don't know that I want it on all of my driving tunes. I really want quiet and I think that there is some real potential to improve all diesel tunes by knocking down the noise level at normal idle speeds. For me it is not about the drive-thru, I refuse to use the drive thru for several reasons.

Knowing that I will be in traffic, at night in the rain, running my lights, wipers, defrost blower, maybe stuck at a stop light for a few cycles, will the whisper blend create a charging issue? An oil pressure issue? nasty exhaust issue?

I am trying to decide between applying whisper to all driving settings or just applying whisper mode to a second 80dd setting. So I would have two 80dd settings, one with whisper.

Oh and after reading this forum some more it appears that you folks can blend the no-start setting with hi idle so I can start the truck and then flip the switch to the no-start setting and get hi-idle but if the engine is shut off, it won't start in that setting. Great idea! Saves me a slot.

I pulled my PCM code last night without pulling the PCM. NVK4 just like it was supposed to be. My daughters' toy makeup mirror really came in handy.

Thanks to you both for responding to this thread, it means a lot.
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 11:59 AM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Yeah, I wouldn't do Whisper in ALL my programs, just one or two where you can select it. That's why we've used it as a standalone program for so many years, it just works easier that way.

The no-start/high idle seems to be growing in popularity. It's a good way to utilize a single space, unless you shut the truck off and forget you're in the no-start program. That's always fun.

Anyway, let us know if we can provide any further advice.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1997!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Windows™ 11 is garbage!

Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 01:33 PM
Whopper

Thank you for the prompt answers. I ordered just now but specifying the blended tunes is a little tricky. Just in case I wasn't clear....

stock
65 tow
80dd with whisper idle
80dd
100 perf
no start with 1100 high idle

Happy birthday to me!

Last edited by Highbeam; Wed, May 2nd, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 03:04 PM

Fair enough! We'll get 'R done.

(678) 890-1110

Windows™ 11 is garbage!

Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 11:40 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

dietoremain is on a distinguished road

Late in this thread but what i"ve noticed in whisper(I have it as a stand alone tune) is that theres definitely some raw fuel coming out the back end...otherwise it doesnt hurt anything for a few mins as said..
Autometer gauges
WW/ATS 1.0 exhaust housing
Hutch/Harpoon in tank mods/hpX line
AIH delete/ebpv delete
TruCool trans cooler
Straight piped
PHP FU
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 11:46 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbeam View Post
I really want quiet and I think that there is some real potential to improve all diesel tunes by knocking down the noise level at normal idle speeds. For me it is not about the drive-thru, I refuse to use the drive thru for several reasons.
Sounds like you need to drive a gasoline-powered vehicle (or something other than a 7.3L) instead.
Old Thu, May 3rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Sounds like you need to drive a gasoline-powered vehicle (or something other than a 7.3L) instead.
That came out wrong and I could have been clearer that out of the whipermode, I only want it to be quieter. The low idle and foul exhaust aren't desirable in every tune. I think putting it in one tune only is a good idea to make it selctable. No changes, just give me the standard, current model whipser blended with 80dd as ordered.

I don't have a problem with gasoline. If you can find me a gasoline burner with the same torque/HP curves and mpg as the diesel I would be interested. It would be hard to switch back to high rpm gas towing now after experiencing the low end torque of diesel.

In the spirit of advertising, if you guys would ship my chip with a manotaur sticker I would put that puppy up in the back window.