Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, August 5th, 2009, 06:51 PM
ean

ean is on a distinguished road
Gryphon issues ?

I Know i have not got my custom tunes yet but do you really think they will be way better than what i am getting on the can tunes? right now i am really not impressed with the milage that I am getting with the can tunes. I was getting 2-3 more MPG running a max energy hypertech. any help please. and all i read is how everyone is so happy with theirs and why am I not?
Old Wed, August 5th, 2009, 08:54 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

There could be a few reasons:
1. The Hypertech's tunes are better than the Gryphon's canned tunes. (There, I said it!)
2. The Hypertech was biased more toward economy and the Gryphon is biased more toward performance.
3. Your driving habits have changed?
4. You are relying on the Average Economy display in the Gryphon instead of doing a "hand calculation".
5. The Tire Size on your vehicle was incorrect after programming with at least one of these devices. (Possibly both.)
Of all the reasons I've shown above, Nbr 5, incorrect Tire Size (TS) is my favorite. I just did a quick lookup at the Hypertech Manual for their Max Energy Econ model, and I notice you have to pay extra to be able to correct the speedometer. Did you get this feature?

If not, is your TS and Gear Ratio (GR) stock? If not, you WILL have to correct these - in either the Hypertech or in the Gryphon. Now, it gets tricky:
A. If you have non-stock tires or gears and did not correct for these with the Hypertech, any MPG you calculated would be wrong.
B. IF you "opened" the "Custom Options Menu" in the Gryphon and DID NOT enter correct values for TS and GR, your fuel economy would be wrong (probably low).
C. IF you have non-stock tires or gears and did not adjust for these with the Gryphon, your fuel economy would be wrong (probably low).
And, even if you do have stock tires and gears and opened the Custom Options Menu - If you DID NOT "set" your TS and GR, you are probably going to see low values for economy.

So, think about all this, and let me know what's going on.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, August 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM
ean

GR is stock but you are right I have not yet done the tire size on my gryphon maybe thats throwing it off. I will program TS and Try That to see if it helps.
Thanks for your help. do you know what invoice # the are working on because in update its showing 0000?
Old Wed, August 5th, 2009, 09:36 PM
ean

I got 4344 for tire size is that right or does my math suck?
Old Wed, August 5th, 2009, 10:37 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
I got 4344 for tire size is that right or does my math suck?
4344? You got a monster truck?
Please post the tire size? It will let us help you better!
Also there is a tire size calculator in Pegasus.
Please also enter in your information into the user cp such as hex/calibration code and serial number.

Thanx

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, August 5th, 2009, 11:27 PM
ean

my tire size is 35 /12.50/20 with stock gear ratio that will help out. { did enter hex / clibration and all that stuff and it is showing invoice # 0000 and update 0/00/0000 for last update
Thanks

Last edited by ean; Thu, August 6th, 2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old Thu, August 6th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Native American Redneck

TXWolf is on a distinguished road

My TS is 2640 ... I'm running 35's on 20" rims also.

2008 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4
5.4L - 4.88 Gears
PHP Gryphon Programmer - BDS 6" Lift - Magnaflow Dual Exhaust - JLT Ram Air Intake - 20" Pacer Ridgeline Rims with 35" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs Tires - Westin BullBar with Driving Lights
Old Thu, August 6th, 2009, 09:52 AM
ean

Thanks man that will help me fix my gryphon
Old Thu, August 6th, 2009, 11:23 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Ean - Please read through the Q & A I posted in this forum about using the Custom Options Menu. It might help keep you from making mistakes.

And, since I know your stock tires were NOT those 35's, the PCM was giving your speedometer both a slow speed reading and a low distance traveled on the odometer. No wonder your mileage was bad.

The figure for tire size that TXWolf gave you sounds like a good one to try.

- Jack
Old Sat, August 8th, 2009, 12:58 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Most 35's I've come across come out to 583 rev/mile or 2762 mm. This is what I normally preset most 35's to when tuning.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!