Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, October 12th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Whopper Junior

TX_Hunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustler View Post
My hex is RXDE5E2.

I think there are some differences in our custom tune experience.
If my experience can help others with their concerns I'm all for it.

I am not bashing Bill or the product when I say there is absolutely no difference with my trucks performance other than the shifting between stock and my custom 87 perf tune.
I feel sure anyone could drive my truck and come to the same conclusion rapidly.
Canned level 2 has a noticeable performance gain over my custom tune.
I'm certainly not bashing Bill or the product. I talked with Bill briefly about my concern when I first received my tunes, and told him that I would get on a dyno to see what was up...never got to it. Since I seemed to be the only one not jumping for joy over the performance gains of the custom tunes I chalked it up to unrealistic expectations and forgot about it. I noticed your thread here and decided to see what was up.

I replaced all of the canned tunes with custom, so I cannot compare the custom to canned any longer. And, I stopped running the canned tow tune a few weeks before I received my custom tunes due to transmission shudder. But, I do remember feeling that the canned tow tune would significantly out perform my custom 87 performance, although the shifting of the custom tunes blows the canned and stock tunes out of the water.

I was curious if we had the same HEX as I've read about some problems mine has caused with custom tunes. I'll step out of the way and let you get yours figured out.
Old Mon, October 12th, 2009, 07:59 PM
mad cow member

Rustler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hunter View Post
I'm certainly not bashing Bill or the product. I talked with Bill briefly about my concern when I first received my tunes, and told him that I would get on a dyno to see what was up...never got to it. Since I seemed to be the only one not jumping for joy over the performance gains of the custom tunes I chalked it up to unrealistic expectations and forgot about it. I noticed your thread here and decided to see what was up.

I replaced all of the canned tunes with custom, so I cannot compare the custom to canned any longer. And, I stopped running the canned tow tune a few weeks before I received my custom tunes due to transmission shudder. But, I do remember feeling that the canned tow tune would significantly out perform my custom 87 performance, although the shifting of the custom tunes blows the canned and stock tunes out of the water.

I was curious if we had the same HEX as I've read about some problems mine has caused with custom tunes. I'll step out of the way and let you get yours figured out.
Sorry if you took it wrong I didn't mean to imply you were bashing or your response / input was unwelcome.
We learn from each other too.

Last edited by Rustler; Mon, October 12th, 2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Whopper

MidwesterneRR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Hunter View Post

Ok i had decided i expected too much but i think i have the same setup you do (07 5.4 373LS 4x4 and same hex, although i have an s&B CAI) and im sort of in the same boat. I say sort of because i have noticed gains but the differences from 87 tow(edge) to 87 performance(custom) were not what i was expecting, particularly b/c i got no more fuel economy. maybe this is related to our hex code? Dont get me wrong, im happy with my gryphon i just feel like from others responses i missed something
Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Whopper Junior

TX_Hunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesterneRR View Post
Ok i had decided i expected too much but i think i have the same setup you do (07 5.4 373LS 4x4 and same hex, although i have an s&B CAI) and im sort of in the same boat. I say sort of because i have noticed gains but the differences from 87 tow(edge) to 87 performance(custom) were not what i was expecting, particularly b/c i got no more fuel economy. maybe this is related to our hex code? Dont get me wrong, im happy with my gryphon i just feel like from others responses i missed something

My truck is stock with the exception of a cat-back, and I have LS also. My truck drives better with the custom tunes, but I don't feel the performance/power gains I was expecting. My expectations were based solely on reviews and reports others had written. I saw some folks talking about breaking their tires loose, and even catching a tire scratch going to 2nd with a completely stock truck (auto trans) & custom 87 perf; I can go to the floor with my custom 87 perf tune and can't chirp the tires unless I'm on a steep incline (maybe the others didn't have LS, if that makes that much difference). Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a hotrod, and I don't drive my truck aggressively; just seeing what the tunes are capable of.

Anyway, it's all subjective and speculation unless I actually get on a dyno, which I can't ever seem to find time for.

I don't have anything negative to say about my tunes as only a dyno can tell the real story, and this is the first time I've actually talked about this with anyone other than Bill. As I said, I saw Rustler's post and got curious.

I didn't notice any fuel economy gains, but I also haven't watched it too closely as that would have been a fringe benefit for me; not the primary reason for getting tunes.

If I ever make it to a dyno I'll let you know what I find out after talking with Bill.
Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

TX_Hunter,
Please fill out your user info on the forum.
You will find it in the user cp tab.
Thanx
Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 04:09 PM
mad cow member

Rustler is on a distinguished road
Default Update

Update,

I received and applied a tune update from Bill.
Actually I received the update 10 / 5 but didn't download and try it until this morning due to a brain fart on my end.

I feel a definite performance increase over stock and an overall positive performance gain over the previous custom tune.
I haven't had the chance to put many miles on it since the updated file was installed but I can understand why folks like their custom tunes.

I don't know at this point if future tweaks will be needed but you can remove me from the disappointed with custom tune category.

I wish I could change the title to something more appropriate like "Custom tune issues? "
Old Thu, October 15th, 2009, 02:18 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

John,

Since you are the OP, I've changed the name of the thread per your request. I'm happy that things are working better. Just keep me posted over the next week or so as to how they're holding up.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!