Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, September 2nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
Future PHP customer

richardhearn is on a distinguished road
Help evolution wont update :(

First off a little background and a story as to why im posting this here.
i bought an 04 f150 fx4 with a 5.4 about 2 months ago with a serious lifter noise, and that was promptly fixed within a week.

the truck has a "custom" cat back exhaust that consists of 3in pipe a little behind the ypipe to a si/do muffler (i think its a race type flowmaster but not sure) as far as i know all 4 cats are there and good but i guess they could be gutted since the truck is fairly loud but idk about that for sure.

last friday night i came across an edge evolution on craigslist and bought it on saturday with the intentions of using edge tunes for a few months while i decided what route i was going with on the truck as far as other performance stuff and then making the switch to php tunes. as soon as i put the edge on the truck i noticed that something wasnt right and it wasnt running any different and if it was it was actually worse. so i switched over to trans only and actully notice more of a positive change in power on that then on extreme perforance or tow perforance. edge customer service keeps telling me to update it but it wont even let me update it, on 3 different computers its not recognized. does any one have any idea before i call edge and get angry with them?

sorry for the essay but im real frustrated with trying to tune my truck at this point and if the edge stuff wont make it run any better at all im not goign to spend the money on different tunes just to find out that they wont work either.
Old Thu, September 2nd, 2010, 07:39 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

So, are you using the Fusion application to do your updates? And, if so, have you set your truck back to the stock tune before connecting the Evolution to the PC?

Once we have these answers, we'll go from there.

And, just for your information - the truck WILL run like crap if you try to use the Level 3 Performance tune with 87 octane gas.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, September 2nd, 2010, 10:12 PM
Future PHP customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
So, are you using the Fusion application to do your updates? And, if so, have you set your truck back to the stock tune before connecting the Evolution to the PC?

Once we have these answers, we'll go from there.

And, just for your information - the truck WILL run like crap if you try to use the Level 3 Performance tune with 87 octane gas.
- Jack
i figured that out real quick after i put it on lol i guess i was so used to my diesel where i just threw the biggest tune that the fuel system could handle at it and it was good and i forgot about running premium. but its the same thing on tow (level 2) just not as bad and edge specifically says its an 87+ octane tune. i honestly believe the truck is faster in trans only (level 1) than it is in tow or extreme. and now that i actually read the manual i realize why it would run so bad on extreme.

to answer your first 2 questions yes the truck was back to stock, and yes im using fusion
Old Thu, September 2nd, 2010, 10:22 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhearn View Post
i figured that out real quick after i put it on lol i guess i was so used to my diesel where i just threw the biggest tune that the fuel system could handle at it and it was good and i forgot about running premium. but its the same thing on tow (level 2) just not as bad and edge specifically says its an 87+ octane tune. i honestly believe the truck is faster in trans only (level 1) than it is in tow or extreme. and now that i actually read the manual i realize why it would run so bad on extreme.

to answer your first 2 questions yes the truck was back to stock, and yes im using fusion
I wonder if you need to establish a "Fusion account"? At this point, I'm in over my head, because I converted my old Edge Evolution to a Gryphon about the time Fusion came out and I never used Fusion with that programmer.

My only experience with Fusion now is with my new CTS, and it needs you to create an account before it will do anything for you.

I DID use the program called "Lightning" when my programmer was still an "Edge" and it worked just fine. You might give that a try.

I WILL say, you're not going to see the HP and torque gains with a gasser that you saw with a diesel. Possibly, you're expecting too much? I noticed a definite mpg increase with the canned level 2 tune over stock though, and the passing shifting was far superior - which was my main concern.

- Jack
Old Thu, September 2nd, 2010, 10:37 PM
Future PHP customer

i know im not going to see deisel kind of gains out of it. i would have to do forced induction of some kind to see the same gains from this as i would out of tuning some diesels lol but i would think it would be noticable atleast.

after i posted the original question i went out and ran it thru the 1/4 mile perfomance test in stock, trans, and tow and went 17.8,17.3,17.1. and honestly i think the difference was mostly in the take off.

i have a fusion account but the problem is the computer wont even recognize that its hooked up, it just says unknown device, and wont let me select the drivers. 5 years ago i would have been the one tell someone how to get past this but i stopped playing with computers and forgot alot lol
Old Thu, September 2nd, 2010, 10:57 PM
PHP Groupie

Are you possibly using a Vista or a Windows 7 machine? If so, you may need to uninstall and reinstall both Fusion and the drivers. I think Edge has said Fusion won't work on Win 7, but some people have reported success.

Try uninstalling Fusion and then uninstall the drivers. Here's a link to the driver uninstall procedure. http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/faqs-...tallation.html It was written for Pegasus, but the general process would be the same for Fusion.

Then, reinstall Fusion, start it and plug in your Evolution (in that order). This may get things working.

If it doesn't work, and you are using a Vista or Win 7 machine, try to find a kind soul with an XP machine.

- Jack
Old Thu, September 2nd, 2010, 11:23 PM
Future PHP customer

i got it!!!!! but i still dont know if its any better, i will find out tomorrow i dont feel like messing with the truck tonight. thanks alot for your help, i wish i knew what exactly i did to get it working but it started working and is now updated